Do you NOT CARE about the whole Swine Flu issue?

Page 2 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 10:00 pm

Where I live, far away from human civilization, mad cow is more of a threat to me since there are around a million cows out here, compared to the whole population of "me."

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 10:13 pm

Count me in. I don't give a crap about it. The media tends to overhype everything in order to get their ratings, and they tend to scare the s**t out of a lot of people, especially those who are hypochondriacs.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

27 Apr 2009, 10:27 pm

I'm the opposite - I want to learn about it & keep updated about it because no one knows who it is going to infect in the future, it could be anyone anywhere in the world. I'm going to prepare for the worst, it's better to be prepared & not have to use your preparations than not be prepared at all.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 10:33 pm

I care considering there have been 28 cases so far in my county alone

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 10:36 pm

I do care somewhat because Mexico isn't super far away although it has more to do with who has visited Mexico, not being close to it. It's scary because younger people have died from it in Mexico so it must be a nasty virus.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 10:55 pm

This is why people are dying in Mexico: http://phoenix.cox.net/cci/newsnational/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D97R5PA83&_action=validatearticle. The Mexican government tried to cover this up, people are being turned away when they seek medical help, and a good percentage of the Mexican population is malnourished. There are also a lot of very poor people who can't afford to be away from their jobs for even a day. It's no wonder people are dying and the disease is spreading so fast in Mexico.

If this disease is so virulent, why hasn't there been a single case reported here in Arizona? There is a lot of traffic between Mexico and Arizona -- if a disease was that bad it should have hit us long before it showed up in New York or Kansas.

I think the media is blowing this out of proportion and that governments are overreacting. Honestly, I'm more afraid of people's reactions than of the disease itself. I'm already seeing signs of panic: my coworkers were discussing it and sounded very afraid and the bus to work this morning was nearly deserted.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

DustyLens
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2009, 11:02 pm

...If it gets to my country, and I'm going on buses,etc,will put on a mask doused with essential oil of wintergreen,eucalyptus,lavender,whatever is to hand.

If thats too attention getting,just shove a bit of good 'ol Vicks vapour rub up yer nose,like they do in morgues,it will kill it.
NB Keep yer mouth SHUT !

(These two ideas don't mix,btw,homeopathy gets voided by the vapour or oils.)

PS Virus said to pass thro' masks,its very small.
If you get sick,or are worried about it,try searching out a Homeopath,some sell anti-flu stuff that kicks the ass of flu jabs..
-I got into alternatives when a company I worked for gave the option of pills or jabs,and the Homeopathic pills won out,all winter long,by about 10-1 sick days taken.

I DO care about all the people who get sick from this,that it started most likely by outsourced jobs in Mexico,and that rug companies will make tuns of money out of it,while poor folks suffer.Sucks big time.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:04 pm

It's true, Mexico has third world problems but remember these people have prolly caught many illnesses over their lifetimes and for this one flu to cause them death must be pretty serious. I wouldn't want to catch this virus, personally. Even if it didn't kill me, it definitely doesn't sound like it would be a pleasant experience. My state doesn't have it's first case yet but all the states around it does and there's a lot of traffic between here and Mexico too. It's just a matter of time before it shows up here. I would prefer to use a lot of hand sanatizers, wash my hands an awful lot and take more showers than normal to keep from catching it although it might not help if someone in my family comes down with it.
Now that you mention the Vicks in the nose I think I'll try that. Is that enough to keep my nose from contracting it? I never knew that about Vicks. Thanks for sharing the info.

DustyLens
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2009, 11:32 pm

- It spreads by droplets in the air,which last a short time after an infected person sneeze or coughs - so that stuff up your nose contains menthol,a very powerful killer of all viruses,etc.Vicks should stop it entering the body by the nose,the most common way we catch colds,flu n all.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:51 pm

Weither it be mad cow, bird flu, SARS or now this swine flu. I simply don't care. I don't live in Mexico or work around pigs. It's all a big media hype things. People think I am the most heartless person out there and if the shoe fits I'll wear it but I don't care about total strangers. I've tried to make myself but I always found it impossible. The only thing that disturbed me about September 11th was that the whole scedule on the TV had been altered to show the same brodcast over and over. Even if there was a meerkat flu I could probably care less.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 2:09 am

It's only influenza, seriously. Most people alive today have probably had it before.

If you're old, an infant, or immune compromised, it's probably wise to avoid going out to places when it's busy, to stay one meter away from people and don't touch your face and food unless you've washed your hands for 15 seconds; if you do this, you won't catch it in most cases.

Silly fear mongering by the media.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 2:37 am

I don't care about something like this I've absolutely no control over. And I'm a hypochondriac.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 2:42 am

my former best friend has a really great quote on Facebook about it: 'want to get completely wasted? turn on CNN and take a shot every time you hear the words 'swine' or flu'. Don't worry, you'll be playing all night".

So so true.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 2:43 am

Well, it's the latest meme on 4chan.

I think, as someone who never goes outside I'm not very much at risk. That is, until school starts again. Either way it's probably just a government plot. There'll be facism, but we'll live.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 2:45 am

FireBird wrote:
Where I live, far away from human civilization, mad cow is more of a threat to me since there are around a million cows out here, compared to the whole population of "me."
You can get it just from being around them? I thought you just got it from eating the meat if an infected cow was killed in a messy way, like if brain matter got on the meat.

Last edited by wigglyspider on 28 Apr 2009, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 2:45 am

Heh, I just realized something funny.

You...you mean for once something has actually outranked shots of Obama without his shirt on, in terms of news coverage? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: