I know I will be seen as unpopular here for saying this...

Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2009, 10:58 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo, theoretically, the strong magnetic fields applied to a very small area, will cause electrons to move along the neurons and stimulate brain activity it those areas.

Essentially, it's like switching on brain cells or passing a current through them to either clear them out or stimulate growth or get them working in some way.

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2009, 1:34 pm

Crion87 wrote:
I know I will be seen as unpopular here for raising this issue, but I have recently heard of Australian trials for transcranial magnetic stimulation - from what I have heard, it can get the social functioning parts of the brain to NT-approximate levels. I myself am going to volunteer for the trials if I can be accepted, in the interests of science. If it works, I will in theory become an NT. If it doesn't work, well, that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Yes, that makes me a heretic curebie in some of your eyes. I prefer to take a more open-minded view of the subject. If it can make me function better in this NT world, then so be it. Call me what you will, but if I am accepted for adult trials of the tech, I will be most grateful.

I do not care if it isn't politically correct. It's what I want. If this cure helps ease the journey of an already difficult life, so be it.

Believe in yourself! No apologies necessary. Thank you for trying this. Let us know the results. If it improves your life with no side effects, wonderful! If you learn something, great. It seems to me that magnetic stimulation would likely not have drastic bad effects. I wish you the best.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 May 2009, 1:40 pm

Since I have learned that I was an Aspie so late in life, I don't feel as motivated to try and change it. As I would have been at, say, 21.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 4:49 pm

There will always be risks with this kind of experimental testing but at the very least, you will have taken part in helping the world in general understand AS/autism a little bit better...even if the tests do fail.

I would definitly be interested in taking part. Damn me for being an American.

HappyFox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2009, 5:13 pm

Hopefully there are no side effects at all. Also if you do become a NT please stay on here.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 5:15 pm

Sounds interesting, actually. I'm convinced that part of my brain cells should be activated.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 6:29 pm

Crion87 wrote:
I know I will be seen as unpopular here for raising this issue, but I have recently heard of Australian trials for transcranial magnetic stimulation - from what I have heard, it can get the social functioning parts of the brain to NT-approximate levels. I myself am going to volunteer for the trials if I can be accepted, in the interests of science. If it works, I will in theory become an NT. If it doesn't work, well, that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Yes, that makes me a heretic curebie in some of your eyes. I prefer to take a more open-minded view of the subject. If it can make me function better in this NT world, then so be it. Call me what you will, but if I am accepted for adult trials of the tech, I will be most grateful.

I do not care if it isn't politically correct. It's what I want. If this cure helps ease the journey of an already difficult life, so be it.

May I play the Advocatus Diaboli - the only thing I found was in respect of motoric functions:

http://www.autismvictoria.org.au/resear ... ticott.pdf

---

And to be honest, I would be very surprised when such a complex issue like autism or Aspreger could be "solved" by just applying magnetic fields.

julie_b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2009, 6:44 pm

My son and I both have AS and live in Aus. We saw this trial on a TV show last week and we had a talk about it. My son, who is 13, said to me "but what if you didn't like who you became?"

I would never condem anyone for making a choice for themselves and if it's what you want to do, good luck and I hope you get the improvement you are seeking. For me, I am happy being me and the thought of changing something so personal, fundamental and intimate as my brain is as attractive as the thought of having a face transplant. I do however understand that if you were not happy in yourself that it may help :)

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 8:05 pm

Do it, there is something, but the Dussel link did not seem like mechanics I would trust.

I have heard reports from people who had heart attacks, and said afterward they felt more relaxed than since they were a kid. it lasted.

The basic of electro shock is breaking up patterns, letting new ones form. Induction seems much safer.

Emma Rolf did it with massage, found encoded injuries that had long healed, but still locked body motion. John Lilly supported her work.

I have no faith it will change Autism, but maybe some related conditions.

I have worked in very high magnetic fields, they seem safe.

Please report back, what machines do they use?

I have done some bio feedback, there is more on this playground than has been studied.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 8:21 pm

Cordial greetings, Crion87:

Here's hoping and praying all goes well for you. It's your choice to try and be cured, and I for one fully respect that.

Now if it were me, I would rather not try an experimental cure using magnetism because I have a strange relationship with electro-magnetism. To the point of attracting lightning, being unable to wear a watch, even once permanently destroying someone else's watch just by shaking hands with that person, apparently causing major power outages just by touching a switch intending to turn on or off just one appliance, having machines break when I looked at them, having copy machines start burning the paper I fed into them so that the paper was brown around the edges and the machine broke down needing to be repaired ... I had to train myself not to think nasty thoughts towards machines, not even in jest. I also mess up compasses. Apparently they like to point South, West, or SouthWest in my presence.

That said ... If you're normal when it comes to electricity, magnetism, electro-magnetism ... Well, I consider you brave.

~~ the phoenix

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 8:28 pm

Inventor wrote:
I have worked in very high magnetic fields, they seem safe.

The issue is that any therapy which works can have (and most likely will have) side effects. If those fields have an measurable influence on the human body, which may regarded as positive, there can be also negative effects.

I do not say that this will not work, but if it works you had to be aware regarding potential side effects.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 8:33 pm

I wish I was NT.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 May 2009, 8:38 pm

Well...good luck Crion87 if that is what you want. I wish you the best.

As for me, I am happy with my moderate AS. If I woke up NT, I would be trying to find a cure to make me autistic again.

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2009, 8:57 pm

[quote="Crion87"] If it works, I will in theory become an NT. If it doesn't work, well, that's a risk I'm willing to take.

[quote]

I'm not so sure it will be that black and white. I have tried several alternative therapies for various things: biofeedback, meditation (same thing as biofeedback, but free), rolfing, prolotherapy/PRP, acupuncture, chiropractic, naturopathic treatments, raw food diets, shiatsu, spplements. All have been very helpful, but these treatments are not like Western medicine that seeks a quick and dramatic cure with aggressive medications or surgeries. Be prepared to find that, if it helps, it may not be dramatic, and that is ok. It may be gradual, or it may be part of an overall path. If you question the providers and feel it is safe, I think it will be very useful.

As for me, I kind of like having Asperger's. It's the koolest of non-typical mental states. But it has its difficulties. I'd like to do better at work (the ability to do teamwork gets you places in your career). I'd like to have a boyfriend. I'd like to be a dance teacher with personality (wow!) (My dancing DOES have personality though, and there's a strict protocol to social dancing, so you don't have to worry about making people angry--except afterwards socially). Anyway, I'm used to it. But I'd love to know how you do with this.

All the best.

EvoVari
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 May 2009, 9:00 pm

Hope you make the trial and it has a positve effect on you. Envy you being able to volunteer for the trial. The trials are in Melbourne, I,m in Sydney and that is too far.

The magnetic pulse treatment has previously been used for people with chronic depression who are medication resistant.(Sure this was mentioned in the news story). I am medication resistant, this treatment gives me hope but 5 years to wait is disappaointing. This treatment appears a much better option to electric shock stimulation to the brain.

I found a link explaining the methodology of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.

http://www.infrapsych.com/content/general/TMS.html

Last edited by EvoVari on 05 May 2009, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redbus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2009, 1:46 am

I thought the social dysfunctions were caused by, for lack of a better word, the wrong mental 'coding' not that the social parts of the brain were inactive.

But if thats wrong, I would personally fly over there at the first opportunity and get this done to me.

What are the expected potential side effects anyhow?