How much of a misfit are you in WrongPlanet?

Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

How much do you fit in here?
Zero. I'm as much of a misfit here as everywhere else 18%  18%  [ 17 ]
I feel I totally belong and completely in synch with the others here 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
On average, 50-50 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
More of a misfit than not 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
More belonging than not 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 93

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 12:25 pm

I kind of fit-in here. For me, it's a matter of boredom. I feel like every topic that's possible of being done has been done to death already. And for the most part, it's true. I've come back, I guess, for the reason of networking and I guess discussing things I couldn't before. I voted 50-5-, by the way.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 1:44 pm

I'm not compleatly sure, but I voted "more belonging than not".

Hard for me to tell, since I don't generally have a sense of belonging anywhere (other than places in my imagination); but I relate to things said here a lot more than most things I hear offline or on other sites. And most people here seem more accepting, seem nicer... most of the time.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 3:15 pm

I voted that I feel I belong here.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 3:39 pm

Why am I such a Fismit? topic

I voted Zero. I never fit, and I never will. I would be shocked if it were otherwise!! 8O

:P

What a great topic, Greentea!! ! Thanks.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

alba
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 3:49 pm

Modality wrote:
I feel here as much an alien as anywhere else.

ditto
dougn wrote:
There are other places where I feel like I belong more.

Actually, when I first joined, I think I was surprised to find that most of the members are nothing like me (or even each other).

That's the way I feel but it took several months to come to that realization. Some here have hurt me deeply and those in question have utterly no remorse about it. Not much different from the world of NTs, in some ways it's worse here than irl. But that's perhaps my fault as I have zero positive expectations from NTs, and had hoped I would fare better here. No such luck. There are 3 or 4 at WP who seem to take delight in hurting people. But maybe that's just me being weird.

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2009, 5:54 pm

Depends on the topic, but thinking more and more like I am still on the wrong planet.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 2:50 am

How do you know if you "fit in" on a website? Because you get a lot of responses? Because you can relate well to the posts? I said 50-50.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 3:07 am

I voted "more of a misfit". I think I fit in OK, but I know I'm more hard-core than most members. I try to keep it undercover as much as possible, although some of it slips out periodically. :wink:

*must stay civil* :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 3:21 am

jawbrodt wrote:
I voted "more of a misfit". I think I fit in OK, but I know I'm more hard-core than most members. I try to keep it undercover as much as possible, although some of it slips out periodically. :wink:

*must stay civil* :lol:

Kinda sucks that I have to pretend even here, only to a less degree. :( :( :(

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 6:33 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
How do you know if you "fit in" on a website?

Excellent question. It's hard to define, but to give a general idea of what I mean: when your values and core ideas / assumptions and the majority's are similar. When you feel you have more or less the same amount of useful contribution to make as others' posts contribute to you. When you feel you're sharing with the people (not a wallpaper flower, not their kinder-garden teacher, not their scapegoat, etc.). When you have a certain amount of confidence that people know what you're talking about and some will see your point.

Millie, I know that I'm considered a bit of an institution here by some or many. That's because of the things you mention, but I think it's mostly because I'm the only one (or one of the very few, if there are others) who posts regularly, intensely and many of my threads and posts are only intended to keep our community active and interested (eg. posting certain topics with the only aim of making as many people as possible feel they have something to say about it and therefore stop being a lurker, etc.).

From my experience, people who take care of the continuation of a group are seen as the institutions in that group. The "institutions" enjoy preferential status in the group's pecking order and can get away with more than the others (I've tried to argue ideas with some people here who felt I was too much of an institution to argue with - it's my loss, as all leaders pay a price for their institution status, and I hate the pecking order whether I'm favored by it or not). Society rewards those who help preserve it and punishes those who threaten its status quo, i.e. its continuation as we know it.

From my experience too, I often enjoy the "institution" status in a group, then quickly become the scapegoat when people see I'm actually too eccentric/individualistic to be one of the group keepers, or even just be in the group.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 7:03 am

i voted

Quote:
Zero. I'm as much of a misfit here as everywhere else
because it is as close an answer to the correct one. i actually feel more unknown and ignored here than i do in real life.

i think it is because i do not portray myself well in writing. i describe things well i think, but the character i portray is an unfriendly one.
that is what posters on other asperger forums said when i was a member of them.

also, my failure to use correct punctuation makes my writing hard to read i guess. i do not use capitals except where necessary, and i do not abbreviate things like "do not" as "don't".
i do not use buzz words or modern "lingo" and therefore i may seem formal and flatly boring.

i do not identify with the mindsets of many people on this site. i do identify with some though. there are 2 that i believe i know what they are going to say before i read their posts.

also i have a tendency to go off into tangents and write very long posts essentially about not much, and the next day when i am not in the same mood, i read them and think "jeezus! what an aimless waffle"

i guess most people scroll past what i write, and i can understand why in a way.

i know that a lot of posters ignore my posts because there have been threads where i was the first to point something out, and it was ignored, and 3 pages later, someone else more popular will point out the same thing and suddenly there are lots of people quoting that person saying "good point" etc.

there are lot's of niche groups here and they seem to coagulate in their own cohesive puddles, but i do not have the type of personality that applies to any of them.
i am not a political or religious "frother at the mouth"
i am not a "can't get a girl" wailer.
i am not a "life's so hard" slobberer.
i am not an emo "dark and mysterious and spooky" type.
i am not a teenager with any of their issues.

there is no section of this site that i gravitate to.
i bookmarked this site from the page that is the "view all posts since your last visit" page.
when i click "wrong planet", this is the type of screen i get.

so i just answer the topic that takes my eye from those listed.

also the site has too many members and most people's input gets washed away in a torrent of other peoples eager input.

there are some people here who seem to be the "stars of the show" and i can not see why. also, i read some exceptional posts by other people that never get referred to by anyone for some reason.

i still like to post here because i like to try to type what i think, and it is better to type where others can read than to type in a personal diary that would be lost with my next disk crash.

itsallrosie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2009, 8:29 am

b9 wrote:
i voted
Quote:
Zero. I'm as much of a misfit here as everywhere else
because it is as close an answer to the correct one. i actually feel more unknown and ignored here than i do in real life.

i think it is because i do not portray myself well in writing. i describe things well i think, but the character i portray is an unfriendly one.
that is what posters on other asperger forums said when i was a member of them.

i guess most people scroll past what i write, and i can understand why in a way.

Hey, I read all your posts, and I like the way you space your words so it's not one long block of words, I can follow it better than most due to the gaps. You don't come accross as unfriendly at all, whatever gave you that impression?

I can't imagine why anyone would want to 'pretend' on here, unless they are suppressing angry or insulting thoughts which is fair enough.

If you go off on tangents then that's just aspie. I wonder how people manage to keep to one sentence! 8O

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 12:47 pm

I am still a misfit here as am anywhere else.