Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 9:29 pm

Something very strange happened to me recently .
It seems a very distorted version of my Aspie self has been written on , on the Web !
This will take some explanation:
Let's say that my name is Scott Browne Smith ( It isn't . ) , spelled that way , and my late father worked in the canned-food business , high-up at his height but not an executive ( He wasn't . ) .
Now , I ran into this written about me in the " Comment " section on one of the big U. S, news sites , regarding a man who has " super-memory " ( Something which I do not have . ):
" There is someone else like this , someone named Scott Brown Smythe . He is a savant and his father worked as an executive for one of the food-canning companies .
He has memorized the entire Britannica , can read off entire sections , but gets angry if you point out that he's doing it..." , i. e. , painting a " Rain Man " character I guess you could say .
My father wasn't an executive , I don't spell my name the way he spelled it , I don't think I've ever even READ (let alone owned) a Britannica , I DO NOT have that typ of " Super " memory , believe me!...But , this story is obviously based on me , to a garbled extent .
WTF ??????????? :x :?
At the site I wrote a reply saying " I know people you talk about in your post , please write me " to the post's writer , though not saying that it is I...But the post kept getting deleted by the site , I guess they don't like people giving their address in posts , or whatever , I doubt he would've ever seen it , let alone replied to me . ???????????????????????????????

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 9:54 pm

You can always flag it to the news site administrators as inappropriate content or perhaps libel.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 8:54 am

Mudboy wrote:
You can always flag it to the news site administrators as inappropriate content or perhaps libel.

More a case of mistaken identity than libel - that's a problem when the internets make the planet so small. It is crushing in around us!! No problem, you just need to clarify who you are to everyone. Hopefully, you will still have enough hours left in the day to eat and sleep.

I also heard that some people whose last name was Madoff or something similar to Madoff were getting harassed after Bernie Madoff stole billions of dollars.

JohnnyCarcinogen
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 9:59 am

ASS-P wrote:
Something very strange happened to me recently .
It seems a very distorted version of my Aspie self has been written on , on the Web !
This will take some explanation:
Let's say that my name is Scott Browne Smith ( It isn't . ) , spelled that way , and my late father worked in the canned-food business , high-up at his height but not an executive ( He wasn't . ) .
Now , I ran into this written about me in the " Comment " section on one of the big U. S, news sites , regarding a man who has " super-memory " ( Something which I do not have . ):
" There is someone else like this , someone named Scott Brown Smythe . He is a savant and his father worked as an executive for one of the food-canning companies .
He has memorized the entire Britannica , can read off entire sections , but gets angry if you point out that he's doing it..." , i. e. , painting a " Rain Man " character I guess you could say .
My father wasn't an executive , I don't spell my name the way he spelled it , I don't think I've ever even READ (let alone owned) a Britannica , I DO NOT have that typ of " Super " memory , believe me!...But , this story is obviously based on me , to a garbled extent .
WTF ??????????? :x :?
At the site I wrote a reply saying " I know people you talk about in your post , please write me " to the post's writer , though not saying that it is I...But the post kept getting deleted by the site , I guess they don't like people giving their address in posts , or whatever , I doubt he would've ever seen it , let alone replied to me . ???????????????????????????????

This happened to me as well, by a fellow alumni of mine from high school who said I diagnosed myself (I didn't). Make sure that anyone who will be investigating your background is notified of this falsification; sometimes it's hard to get rid of these problems, so it's better to expose them before they are discovered and assumed to be fact. That's what I had to do with my boss.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 May 2009, 1:01 pm

too many richard bensons in the world, although my last name was changed when my relatives came over from sweden. its not even benson but something esle also i dont even know where i am on google or am i going to bother searching millions of pages

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 2:51 pm

...Well , first , my actual name is a little " old-fashioned " by modern-day American standards , it's the sort of name you might imagine a minor professor or author of the first half of the Twentieth Century to have , say , the kind of name that , say , became " old-fashioned " a bit after the Sixties .
I pointed out that the distorted story of me printed my middle & last names in different spellings than the ones my family actually uses !
I woouldn't get mad at the news site for that , at least they let me know about it...I do wonder about this .
Though I am quite poor now , I went to school in a school district in New York state that is very rich , the HS there tends to land on that US News & World Report " top 100 High Schools " list , though I was , mostly , sent away from that , actual , HS , not going there for education .
There's more about this I could say , but I am limited , time-wise , now...........

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:56 pm

...Again , though I'm ( not really ) Scott Browne Smith the story called me Scott Brown Smith and said that my father...
Okay , my late father worked in TV/radio news .
It was a pretty good job , at its best , but I do not believe it ever could have been described as an " executive "level one , and , oddly enough , " journalism " of any stripe tends to be less well-paid than you might think it would be unless you're at the VERY top , it's sort of like teaching or nursing ( Not to compare to those " noble professions " , hah hah . ) , the pay scale really isn't all that much .
I mean , by any objective level , my father was middle-class...BUUTTTTTT...I don't know , I tend to imagine a similarly high level in almost any other PROFESSION would've come to more $ ! !! !! !! !!

Last edited by ASS-P on 10 Jun 2009, 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 9:44 am

When I try Googling myself, with a rather uncommon name, I don't find any references to myself; rather, I find columns from ESPN Online, written by a mathematician with a penchant for doing analyses of rather odd factors (my favorite so far was the one he wrote about the influence of Beanie Baby giveaways on ball-park attendance in the '90s - turns out there was no correlation whatsoever), or sometimes mentions of a Ph.D. on some executive board on the East Coast of the US.

Googling my wife's name gets references to a cookbook author - and while she is a gifted cook, my wife has never written a cookbook (it's hard enough getting her to write down a single recipe!).

And when you try my cohusband, the best you'll get is (are?) references to tombstones and village records from a couple of centuries back, posted on genealogical forums.

In short, I wouldn't sweat it too much - they might not even be talking about you! :)

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 7:22 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
When I try Googling myself, with a rather uncommon name, I don't find any references to myself; rather, I find columns from ESPN Online, written by a mathematician with a penchant for doing analyses of rather odd factors (my favorite so far was the one he wrote about the influence of Beanie Baby giveaways on ball-park attendance in the '90s - turns out there was no correlation whatsoever), or sometimes mentions of a Ph.D. on some executive board on the East Coast of the US.

Googling my wife's name gets references to a cookbook author - and while she is a gifted cook, my wife has never written a cookbook (it's hard enough getting her to write down a single recipe!).

And when you try my cohusband, the best you'll get is (are?) references to tombstones and village records from a couple of centuries back, posted on genealogical forums.

In short, I wouldn't sweat it too much - they might not even be talking about you! :)

...No , I do tend to think it's me , the coinkydink of the NY area and my father's job and my name , mixed-up tho the last two were.........I've tied to " Google myself " a little , both as " Scott Browne Smith " and as " Scott Smith " , so to speak...as Scott Browne Smith I've found some posts I've made on comic books-oriented boards and the one and only letter I ever had printed in a comic book letter column , the latter chronicled by the Grand Comic Book database , which I guess decided to list the credited writers of letter coumn letters ! !! !! !! !!
When I entered " Scott Smith " , well...
I've sorta-corrected and expanded the above post by me as well , I didn't get to finish it then and forgot to do so , that day , so , reread it...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 7:37 pm

...I do recall , when I was in middle school/" junior high school " some older kid?? coming to see me in JHS because I had a reputation?? Something like that .
So , maybe...
The town I grew up in ( If you can call it " growed up " Ha ha ha ha . ) is , as it happens , a REALLY well-off East Coast suburb , my parents were not as high up , by their actual income even when it was at its highest , by that town's standards .
I mentioned the HS being one that now lands in that US News & World Report " Top 100 High Schools " , didn't I ? ( So , I got sent to a no-academics " special school " from there - Where , furthermore , a very major trauma happened to me - instead . Siigggghh :cry: . )
I suppose I will try one more time , to put an answer in at that news site where I saw the story first :( .........

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 5:51 am

I googled myself (real name) there were a few things that were true, but other than that, my name is so common, not much came up

Then I googled my internet username as it is typed on WP, and pretty much everything there IS ME. :D

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 9:36 pm

...OK , I'm reviving this...And , this is the page where it was discussed , somewhere among the comments .
Now , my , absolutely full , name is Walter Loyd Lilly , spelled exactly that way .
He has me as Walter Lloyd Lily ! ( ay yi yi :oops: :x )
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/comment ... id=7075443

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 4:00 am

It sounds like a) you're becoming an exaggerated urban legend (congratulations - maybe!) and b) that the person who left the comment was not very nice.

The year is still young.

Aspie_rebel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Oct 2009, 1:41 pm

After some googling of the posters username I managed to come up with this guy as the most likely candidate. I found a user with the same user name on the huffington post website and looked at his writing style and it seemed similar to that of the original poster. I then looked at a myspace page that fitted with the posts on the huffington post then eventually found the site I mentioned above, where the person has the same name as on the myspace page and their email was the username of the poster on the abc site. So I'd say that's a fair bet. You could email him and find out.
Hope this helps.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 8:19 pm

Aspie_rebel wrote:
After some googling of the posters username I managed to come up with this guy as the most likely candidate. I found a user with the same user name on the huffington post website and looked at his writing style and it seemed similar to that of the original poster. I then looked at a myspace page that fitted with the posts on the huffington post then eventually found the site I mentioned above, where the person has the same name as on the myspace page and their email was the username of the poster on the abc site. So I'd say that's a fair bet. You could email him and find out.
Hope this helps.

...Oh . My . God .
The thing is , if it is " Keith Lyons " , it is almost certainly someone I know ! !! !! !! !! !!
The thing is , we were friends once...Why would he put up such inaccuracies about me ?
( The detals - of where he lived , in Wisconsin and in Germany , it HAS to be him . )
I am posting under extremely sh***y circumstances , it has delayed me in finishing this .
Likewise-I guess he's a " lecturer " at some university in Asia ?
While I suppose someone could mix up my names' spelling , that isn't so much the point...now :( :cry: ...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 8:47 pm

Aspie_rebel wrote:
Hope this helps.

...Anyway , thank YOU very much ! !! !! !! !! !!
Really :cry: ...literally , about eight years ago , I visited him at his then- ( I suppose ) home , in Rochester , MN .
It didn't turn out too well , and we - We sort of stopped short of actually " breaking up " with each other , we were polite , but , we , essentially , stopped having contact with each other after I'd gotten back to where I stay . ( Weirdness too is , that it all happened at the time of 9/11 , the actual event happened the morning of the last day I was there , that has no actual relevance , but- :oops: :x . )
Mixing up my name , eh :roll: , but why did he tell such " fish story " exaggerations about me ? That might say it . Drunk/high one night ? I don't think I've ever even READ Britannica at length , never mind " reciting definitions from it " ! !! !! !! !! !! :( :?
I mean , I do know lots about comics , and ( more or less " up into the latish 80s/early 90s " , say , much less after then ) pop music , it's rooted in true things , my father worked AT a TV network/news company , but...I want to say more , but , hurried at the library like I am , I need to put more thought into it ! !! !! !! !! !! :wink: :cry: ( I wanted to find the " banging head into a brick wall " Emoticon . ):-(:-(...