Are any of you guys on disability? If so why?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MannyPadilla
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2016, 4:53 am

I'm thinking about going on it but it seems a lot more complicated to get then I thought.

I'm thinking about doing it temporarily...if that's possible..

How did you guys get on it and why?

I've been diagnosed with Aspergers and another disorder I don't feel like mentioning

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 6:17 am

I don't think it's easy to get on disability with Asperger's alone. It depends upon the "other disability," it seems to me.

In the US, at least, expect a rejection the first time around. Then people usually get a disability lawyer on contingency (you don't have to pay the lawyer until you get a decision in your favor, and you pay the lawyer 1/3 of your award). You have a better chance then.

I'm not on disability myself--but I know of people who took the above route.

Of course, you could get on disability temporarily--but don't tell the government that!! !!

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 7:55 am

My Parents said the government denied me.

PrivatePyle99
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jul 2016, 8:04 am

I'm on disability for Bipolar disorder and social anxiety in the US. I've been on it for about 3 years now, I think. It took me about 2 years to get approved. I was told to expect to be rejected at least once, then to appeal. I did and they rejected me again. The 2nd appeal is where most are approved. You have to go before a judge (not in a courtroom, just an office room) and present your case. For me, there was also an occupational expert there the court provides for these cases.

Luckily I smarted up and got a lawyer for that 2nd appeal. It made all of the difference. And I didn't have to pay anything unless I won the appeal. And make sure you get a good lawyer. I've heard tons of horror stories, people who didn't actually have a face to face meeting with the actual lawyer until the morning of their hearing, always having to deal with staff, stuff like that. My hearing was scheduled for a time when my lawyer was on a 3 week sailing vacation with her husband. They pulled into port and she flew home for one day just to attend my hearing. I wouldn't have been approved without her.

It's a hard process and it takes a lot of time. You'll probably need documentation of years of treatments that haven't worked. You'll also need to show that you can't do any job, not just the types of jobs you've done in the past. I hope it goes more smoothly for you. Take care.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 140 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

PrivatePyle99

10 Jul 2016, 8:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the US, at least, expect a rejection the first time around. Then people usually get a disability lawyer on contingency (you don't have to pay the lawyer until you get a decision in your favor, and you pay the lawyer 1/3 of your award). You have a better chance then.

I imagine it's different for different lawyers, but I didn't pay anywhere near 1/3. When you get approved, you get back pay to cover up to a year before you first filed for disability. I don't remember what the lawyers percentage was but it wasn't even close to that. Plus, it had a $6,000 cap, which I hit as my back pay was a pretty large sum. It ended up being about 7% that she made. Like I said though, I'm sure there are lawyers taking 1/3.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 8:16 am

If your autism makes working difficult or impossible, it can be argued successfully that you need Social Security Administration benefits. Depending on your work experience (duration and income), these benefits might not amount to much (SSI, for example is about about $733 a month; SSDI can be much more, depending on need), but SNAP food benefits and HUD housing benefits can be combined with Social Security benefits. Seeking the benefits can take years, so be prepared for the emotional rollercoaster.

But, as others have written here, the more successful path, even for autists, is to claim at least one physical impairment in addition to autism or other disorders.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 8:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
...In the US, at least, expect a rejection the first time around....

Quite true. On the first application, 80 percent of applicants get denied ... expect it. But, don't worry, the process includes four or five stages with various reviews and appeals. My claim took 12 years, four applications, and was denied at every stage until I found a medical doctor who, after testing me with a "gold-standard" EMG, described my spinal conditions, and stated bluntly that I couldn't work without spinal surgery which risked a chance of paralysis. That level of proof is generally needed in receiving Social Security benefits successfully.

In other words, a simple claim application won't work. Every applicant needs an administraive-law attorney and at least one medical doctor or psychological doctor to create and argue "proof."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 8:59 am

Filed for 'autistic disorder' and the second time we tried, was approved right away: my then occupational therapist wrote up a detailed report of why I'm unable to work. (She personally knows what my difficulties were first hand).

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2016, 9:13 am

I'm on disability support pension.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:34 am

I'm on it for OCD and anxiety along with Asperger's.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 10:59 am

Tried to apply for SSDI for ASD was rejected and three disability lawyers refused to take my case because my income in the 1980's "proved" I was not disabled. The fact the age discrimination and the trend towered wanting team players made an employable person into a largely unemployable was irrelevant. I had a mild stroke and was approved for SSI fairly quickly which was fortunate because I then developed not so mild cancer.

There really is a massive difference in how people and the system view physical disability vs non psychical disability. Not only with benefits, just because I was walking with a cane and a mild limp suddenly many people wanted to open doors for me literally and figuratively. My aspie traits are still here.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:35 pm

I am on Ontario Disability Support Program for Social Anxiety and my condition is considered permanent with no chance for review. I was accepted back in 2007 and had a cheque 3 days after I filed my application. I had tried and left 14 jobs or so, most for anxiety, a couple for chronic pain by the time I applied. I had already done many hours of CBT, had 2 inpatient stays for depression and mulitple psych ER visits, and had tried many meds before I applied.

Now my severe IBS-D is far worse than my social anxiety. My Asperger's wasn't diagnosed at the time I applied so there is no need to add diagnoses to my disability file when its for life anyway, well till age 65. I dont plan on living that long anyway.

PrivatePyle99

10 Jul 2016, 9:38 pm

Noca wrote:
I am on Ontario Disability Support Program for Social Anxiety and my condition is considered permanent with no chance for review. I was accepted back in 2007 and had a cheque 3 days after I filed my application. I had tried and left 14 jobs or so, most for anxiety, a couple for chronic pain by the time I applied. I had already done many hours of CBT, had 2 inpatient stays for depression and mulitple psych ER visits, and had tried many meds before I applied.

Now my severe IBS-D is far worse than my social anxiety. My Asperger's wasn't diagnosed at the time I applied so there is no need to add diagnoses to my disability file when its for life anyway, well till age 65. I dont plan on living that long anyway.

Completely unrelated, but I love your sig quote. I recently discovered Brett Dennan and I'm fascinated by him.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 1:03 am

I'm on whatever because of level 2 autism and severe dyspraxia. In my case I have no choice in being classified disabled / significant special needs.