Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MetalClassicRock123
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2011, 4:15 pm

Hi, I'm new-ish here (November).

Whenever I post something on here, like one of those "Hello" posts that people put on here, I say "Hello [insert name] I'm Daniel" and I tell them a bit about myself. Then I invite them to PM me if they want to get to know me a bit better. On rare occasion, it does work, but usually, it just leads to that person not responding, and frankly, it kind of hurts my feelings... :( Is this somehow rude behavior online? Is this coming on too strong? Or being a creep? If so, what should I do instead? (sorry, I suppose I'm even more of a social ret*d than most people with AS/autism lol)

So anyways, advice? :P

Edit: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3153852 ... t=#3153852

This is a post basically where I was having relationship troubles, and I was feeling a bit lonely at the time... And I said people could PM me if they wanted. Is that coming off as a creep? :S

"Subdivisions," Rush

"As a boy he was considered somewhat odd
Kept to himself most of the time
He would daydream in and out of his own world
but i

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 4:31 pm

I don't find it creepy.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 4:49 pm

I don't think it's creepy. Maybe it's just that you're asking other people to make the effort to reach out and they don't know how to do that or what to say.

mikeseagle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 5:04 pm

I think you ask a good question.

Myself I don't think its creepy at all as you can tell by my signature. I think PMing is a good idea to contact with someone on a personal level instead of doing it on the public forums..

Other people might find it creepy for their own reasons. Nothing wrong with that.

Sometimes PMing someone can be hard. You don't know what to say or how to start the message. Sort of like trying to start a conversation in a social situation. Your mind just freezes up and you end up not sending it.

In the end, don't worry about coming on too strong. I think its good that you say that, Its your way to say it is alright to contact me in private. Some people will not PM because they think will intrude on the person.

If no one PMs you then don't let it hurt your feelings. Could be that we are all frozen with our fingers over keyboard trying to figure out how to start the PM :P

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 5:09 pm

I find it... not creepy, yet incredibly difficult to respond to things like that, so I mostly don't. And when there seems to be an expectation of response, then it's even harder. Expectation freezes me up. Especially from strangers.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 5:14 pm

:lol: ... asking a bunch of Aspies to start a cold call conversation. I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing with you because I think most of us are in the same boat!

I'd be glad to meet ya MCR (hope the abbreviation is ok...) and from that user name I think we might have PLENTY to talk about.

I started a thread for those of us having trouble connecting; The Misfit Club Stop on by and meet a few of us having exactly the same problem. You're not a creep. Reaching out in the way you know best is a good thing I think.

If you start asking for questionable pictures thru PM then we may have a problem... :wink:

BTW - Rush was the first concert I ever went to. I think I was 13 - Moving Pictures. If I had to peg myself by a musical genre it would be 'metalhead' but you can't really be a proper metalhead without a healthy respect for the classics.

MetalClassicRock123
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2011, 5:51 pm

blackcat wrote:
I don't find it creepy.

Thanks, I feel better, I also appreciate the PM :)

"Subdivisions," Rush

but i

MetalClassicRock123
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2011, 6:01 pm

draelynn wrote:
:lol: ... asking a bunch of Aspies to start a cold call conversation. I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing with you because I think most of us are in the same boat!

Valid point lol. :P

I'd be glad to meet ya MCR (hope the abbreviation is ok...) and from that user name I think we might have PLENTY to talk about.

draelynn wrote:
BTW - Rush was the first concert I ever went to. I think I was 13 - Moving Pictures. If I had to peg myself by a musical genre it would be 'metalhead' but you can't really be a proper metalhead without a healthy respect for the classics.

Awesome!! I've never been to a concert before honestly... (well, not one featuring an awesome band like Rush anyways :P )

"Subdivisions," Rush

but i