Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

andyfalls
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Feb 2009, 3:05 pm

These are distinct neuro-diverse conditions, but many suggest they interlink and dovetail, and may even be differing manifestations of the same thing.

Definition of neuro-diversity
Difficulties with organisation, memory, concentration, time, direction, perception, sequencing, poor listening skills- can often lead to low self-esteem, anxiety and depression. Creativity, originality and determination are other common byproducts.

Dyspraxia/Developmental Co-ordination Disorder
Difficulties with planning movements, co-ordination and practical tasks as well as tracking and balance; poor spatial awareness and muscle tone.

Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) inc. Asperger's Syndrome
Social and communication problems, obsessive interest, difference of imagination

Both conditions share
Over and under-sensitive to light, noise, touch and temperature, and speech and language difficulties.

I'm a diagnosed dyspraxic and as-yet unofficially diagnosed Aspie.

What I want to know is, do Aspies on here find you have some dyspraxic traits? How many of you were less co-ordinated than your peers growing up? Did some of you struggle to learn how to drive?

There are many similarities here; people with dyspraxia can struggle to recognize emotions, facial expressions or converse well. They can end up being socially isolated. More information on Dyspraxia.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 3:44 pm

I definitely have dsyspraxic traits.

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2009, 3:46 pm

In my opinion I would say that dyspraxia is on the autistic spectrum because of the simularities, this has even been done by the national autistic society sometimes so...
There's something like 95% of people with aspergers have symptoms of dyspraxia so... hmm.

Stop talking trash

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:43 pm

hmmm I have dyspraxia... I was told I am not autistic.. but what do they know I amost certainly have AS

Last edited by scorpileo on 28 May 2009, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikemmlj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 May 2009, 1:57 pm

Dyspraxia + Dyssemia = NLD (Non-Verbal Learning Disorder) =~ Asperger's ??????

1. The ~ should be on top of the = sign.

2. NLD may or may not be Aspergers' or an ASD depends on who's opinion you follow.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:00 pm

I definitely fit that - I'm extremely poorly coordinated and can't lift more than about 30 lbs. Though light doesn't bother me and I never had language problems.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:04 pm

I struggled to learn to drive (an automatic!) learned at age 40 when i had had a child and ad moved to the country. (no public transport available.)
I live with the distinct sense the top half and bottom half of my body are not united and flowing a lot of the time. My upper limbs and chest and back are strong, and my lower limbs feel weak and poorly co-ordinated. Upper has good muscle tone and lower has poor muscle tone.
I bang into thing a lot with the lower half of my body.

dx'ed ASD.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:24 pm

I always had a hard time driving because I couldn't pay attention to so many things at one time.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:32 pm

millie wrote:
I struggled to learn to drive (an automatic!) learned at age 40 when i had had a child and ad moved to the country. (no public transport available.)
I live with the distinct sense the top half and bottom half of my body are not united and flowing a lot of the time. My upper limbs and chest and back are strong, and my lower limbs feel weak and poorly co-ordinated. Upper has good muscle tone and lower has poor muscle tone.
I bang into thing a lot with the lower half of my body.

dx'ed ASD.

ah I am the oppisite my upper body is weak and lower strong

Dianitapilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2009, 3:37 am

solid wrote:
In my opinion I would say that dyspraxia is on the autistic spectrum because of the simularities, this has even been done by the national autistic society sometimes so...
There's something like 95% of people with aspergers have symptoms of dyspraxia so... hmm.

Yet they haven't told it to be so, cause not all dyspraxics have autism (check for example the ones with dyspraxia of the talking, and so much other very specific symptoms of dyspraxia).

I do agree most AS have an overlapping dyspraxia.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2009, 11:51 am

exactly how severe do motor problems have to be to be dx'd dyspraxia?
I mean let's forget the fact that an ASD disqualifies you for a diagnosis of dyspraxia.

the dsm iv criterion for DCD (what dyspraxia is known as in the US)
The 4 DSM IV diagnostic criteria for DCD are as follows:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/915251-overview

1. Performance in daily activities that require motor coordination is substantially below given the person's chronologic age and measured intelligence. This change may manifest as marked delays in achieving motor milestones (eg, walking, crawling, sitting) and as dropping things, clumsiness, poor performance in sports, or poor handwriting.
2. The disturbance in criterion 1 substantially interferes with academic achievement or activities of daily living.
3. The disturbance is not due to a general medical condition (eg, cerebral palsy, hemiplegia, muscular dystrophy), and it does not meet criteria for a pervasive developmental disorder.
4. If mental retardation is present the motor difficulties are in excess of those usually associated with it.

I believe I'd meet the 1. criteria.
2 not so sure. if I had a production job or perhaps a job involving mailing that would be trouble.

here's an interesting link:
http://books.google.com/books?id=MiLbuT ... #PPA155,M1

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD