Page 1937 of 4967 [ 79467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940 ... 4967  Next

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 4:42 am

I've never watched Doctor Who :( So I can only relate with what I know. Funny to say that, as most of my understanding upon Human nature was derived from Anime.

Odd that you mentioned Dragonball, for Vegeta was the second, and just as important as the first, antagonist I attached myself to.

So proud, detached from others, yet unbeaten by all the adversity that had come his way. And in time, he grew to love. However at the same time, I can't begin to express the desires I felt watching the episode "The Dark Prince returns."

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 4:42 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
eddiedog8 wrote:
Image :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P :P LOL! Thats adorable.

The text reads like a real article on that particular Interweb phenomenon!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 5:21 am

Bluesummers wrote:
I've never watched Doctor Who :( So I can only relate with what I know.

A pity. Here are three of the best moments. The first is the aforementioned sequence from Tomb of the Cybermen....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh-c0Zo1gHE[/youtube]

The next is perhaps the most telling aspect of the Doctor's ultimate morality. While in later incarnations, his tolerance of the Daleks lessens, when given the chance to destroy them at their creation, he falters...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzilfVNMTI[/youtube]

And finally, from the new series, the Doctor tells his latest companion, Rose, about his own home planet...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sBbLsuS2Io[/youtube]

On sabbatical...

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 5:31 am

I'll surely need to absorb all of that when I'm not so intoxicated. However, something I've been itching to bring up. Why the Shinigami? I'll admit I watch Bleach, but I can't think of any other Anime so consumed by filler material and devoid of any real substance.

But looking back, anytime it seemed to have any substance, it was so powerful that I kept watching. I so hope Ichigo and Rukia can be together, forget Orihime. Sure big boobs are great, but she reminds me too much of the stereotypical blonde that I have no desire for.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 5:38 am

Bluesummers wrote:
However, something I've been itching to bring up. Why the Shinigami? I'll admit I watch Bleach, but I can't think of any other Anime so consumed by filler material and devoid of any real substance.

But looking back, anytime it seemed to have any substance, it was so powerful that I kept watching. I so hope Ichigo and Rukia can be together, forget Orihime. Sure big boobs are great, but she reminds me too much of the stereotypical blonde that I have no desire for.

I've read the first volume of Bleach, but found it boring. Shinigami are more like our Grim Reapers in the West. The ones in Death Note are a little more interesting, not to mention grotesque.

I suppose it is fascination with death and what comes after. Which came first? Bleach, Death Note, or the comedy-drama series Dead Like Me? Not to mention the character of Death from the Discworld series?

On sabbatical...

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 6:01 am

I would say, the mere fascination with Death came first, and all of your other interests simply seemed to explain it. Death...a silly subject to me. I've tried to take my own life, I've realized that any fear of our inevitable demise only hinders true life, and I've been terribly afraid of death at times.

It reminds me of my earliest memories of being an Atheist. Upon contemplating the thought of Oblivion, I deeply wished there was a Hell, so frightened I was at the concept of pure nothingness. I'd like to think I've gotten over it, but I think I just shut it out.

I think I was about 12 when I thought of that.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 6:08 am

Bluesummers wrote:
I would say, the mere fascination with Death came first, and all of your other interests simply seemed to explain it. Death...a silly subject to me. I've tried to take my own life, I've realized that any fear of our inevitable demise only hinders true life, and I've been terribly afraid of death at times.

It reminds me of my earliest memories of being an Atheist. Upon contemplating the thought of Oblivion, I deeply wished there was a Hell, so frightened I was at the concept of pure nothingness. I'd like to think I've gotten over it, but I think I just shut it out.

Lucky you for getting over it already. While I first had those fears at 16, it wasn't until I came off my antidepressants that it hit me fully. That was late 2006. And Steve Irwin died at about the same time. I still haven't gotten over my necrophobia completely, although I am trying to do something about it (losing weight and getting fitter).

On sabbatical...

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 6:36 am

Quatermass wrote:
Bluesummers wrote:

Lucky you for getting over it already. While I first had those fears at 16, it wasn't until I came off my antidepressants that it hit me fully. That was late 2006. And Steve Irwin died at about the same time. I still haven't gotten over my necrophobia completely, although I am trying to do something about it (losing weight and getting fitter).

Never did I say that I got over it. The furthest I've ever got was to ignore it, I realize. Recently, after my several day long drinking binges to cope with the pain of day to day life, I felt sick. Not just sick, I felt like I was going to die.

All the indifference I once had towards death was shattered. I can't die yet, my son needs me, I thought. The nothingness I once deemed fit to embrace, was just that...nothingness. I love my son, he gave me meaning in this chaotic existence. Given my own memories of my Father, I refuse to abandon him.

And so I endure whatever impossible trial life will cast before me. I surely can't say I've found true happiness yet, since my son, unfortunately, is not always by my side. He gives me strength beyond strength.

I feel so abandoned, often contemplating ending my life before my son would know who I am. But after much thought...I realize. I'll gladly endure any pain this World has to offer, if it means sharing any lesson I have to offer to my son. So that he may live a better life.

I hope you can find the same peace....one day.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 7:25 am

I wouldn't be able to find it through children, myself. I know myself too well, and would not be able to tolerate the little sods.

Anyway, enough of this thread hijack. Besides, I've gotta go to bed.

On sabbatical...

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 8:16 am

G'night Quatermass.

Myself, I fear death, but I don't worry about it. I have plans for the future, very ambitious plans.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 3:48 pm

Quatermass wrote:
I wouldn't be able to find it through children, myself. I know myself too well, and would not be able to tolerate the little sods.

Anyway, enough of this thread hijack. Besides, I've gotta go to bed.

I never liked the idea of Children either. I found them bratty, ignorant, and well just childish. I guess I can admit, I'm a very self-involved person. Yet upon seeing my son first born, I realized he's a direct detachment of myself. He's me, with the hope of being a much better person. How could I not love him and want to care for him?

And thread hijacking? Impossible in a thread that will have no end, so discuss all you like I say :D

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 7:40 pm

Man, I wish mum would get me a new DS game.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:48 pm

<---- Winnar.

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 11:30 pm

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran