Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:14 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I find that the older I get, the less I like people who are under the age of 18.

Haha. Thats pretty common to people of all walks of life it seems. Its not fair, but they dont really trust people over 30 either!

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 11:51 am

It's harder taking care of my health. My cholesterol keeps climbing, and I just don't feel the need to take the corrective steps. I love crisps, and deep fried foods, and all the bad stuff. Same for exercising regularly. I get out for a walk, but I should be doing it every bloody day.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 12:03 pm

I find that I am far more comfortable being just me. I don't care as much about what other people think of me or if I am making them happy or not. I have also stopped buying into the idea that you have to have a large social circle to stay mentally healthy. (That is one of the recommendations, maintain social ties.) I stopped talking to all of the people in my life that were causing stress and I find that I am SO much happier.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 12:38 pm

blessedmom wrote:
I find that I am far more comfortable being just me. I don't care as much about what other people think of me or if I am making them happy or not. I have also stopped buying into the idea that you have to have a large social circle to stay mentally healthy. (That is one of the recommendations, maintain social ties.) I stopped talking to all of the people in my life that were causing stress and I find that I am SO much happier.

That's what I find. I've decided that I was going to be myself and live my own life, in mid February. I'm now the happiest that I've ever been. There's only one person on this planet that I need to make happy, and that's me. :)

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:21 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Things don't get to me as much as far as NTs misunderstanding me. I think I've been out in the world so long through work and school that I see we're just all trying to muddle our way through. I also do not think they have a better life. I see them having their own problems and struggles that never occur to me. Their life isn't automatically rosy because they are NT. I didn't know it was NT back then, but I used to wonder why they have it so easy. Now I realize they really don't, they just put on a facade. We don't do that.

i agree, and it's only in getting older that i get that.

other i think getting older is difficult, something is changing or will be and i'm not sure what, i'm going to look differently, to be treated differently and it scares me.
not often yet, cause i'm mainly with 30 year old friends having young kids and i don't look as if i was all that much older, but i know it's coming, and really don't know what to do with it.
maybe being older is less frightening than getting older, it's the whole proces that scares me.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:27 pm

blessedmom wrote:

That reminds me. When I took a psych class, I found out that researchers had discovered that having friends was a significant factor in living longer. As positive an impact on lifespan as smoking is a negative impact, if you can believe the researchers. This was 10 years ago before I'd heard of AS. But I was crushed because I didn't have friends then and knew I never would and felt like I was destined to die an early, lonely death.

That, plus society's pressure to have lots of friends and have an active lifestyle etc., have combined to make me feel as if I should live that way.

Like you, over the last few months I've come to accept who I am, that I will never have a social circle, to appreciate my one best friend, and now that I've given up the desire to be different than who I really am, I am a lot more peaceful. And I've also set clear boundaries with necessary family members.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:28 pm

lemon wrote:
i know it's coming, and really don't know what to do with it.
maybe being older is less frightening than getting older, it's the whole proces that scares me.

I turned gray rather early, and when the bag boy at the grocery would say "hay mister", I'd turn 'round to see who was standing behind me(?)

I don't feel old, most of the time. But I do look old. ~sigh~

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:29 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That's what I find. I've decided that I was going to be myself and live my own life, in mid February. I'm now the happiest that I've ever been. There's only one person on this planet that I need to make happy, and that's me. :)

I want to give you feedback: I've been reading your posts since I joined two years ago, and I've noticed a striking difference in your recent posts compared to your older ones. You definitely seem not only more mature, but more importantly, much more at peace and even joyful.
Peace

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 1:35 pm

[quote="Prof_Pretorius"][quote="lemon"] i know it's coming, and really don't know what to do with it.
maybe being older is less frightening than getting older, it's the whole proces that scares me.[/quote]
I turned gray rather early, and when the bag boy at the grocery would say "hay mister", I'd turn 'round to see who was standing behind me(?)
[/quote]

that's exactly what's happening: people start to call me madam when they always said miss, not that i want to be called miss, but it means something changed, i now look like a 'madam' i guess, and i don't know what a madam is like.

like you say when you grow older there is nothing from the inside that changes, so i don't know how to deal with it
(i'm even more sportive now than i was at seventeen and healthier cause i don't smoke no more, so it's not that)

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 4:45 pm

aylissa wrote:
blessedmom wrote:

That reminds me. When I took a psych class, I found out that researchers had discovered that having friends was a significant factor in living longer. As positive an impact on lifespan as smoking is a negative impact, if you can believe the researchers. This was 10 years ago before I'd heard of AS. But I was crushed because I didn't have friends then and knew I never would and felt like I was destined to die an early, lonely death.

That, plus society's pressure to have lots of friends and have an active lifestyle etc., have combined to make me feel as if I should live that way.

Like you, over the last few months I've come to accept who I am, that I will never have a social circle, to appreciate my one best friend, and now that I've given up the desire to be different than who I really am, I am a lot more peaceful. And I've also set clear boundaries with necessary family members.

I probably use the word friend very loosely. I doubt if I've had that many really close friends. People I get to know through work or something along those lines, that don't freak me out too much anymore, get called freinds. Maybe they are, I guess they are, but close friends, not all that many. Even then they seem to be flighty, it's not a grand plan to do it that way. It's like we pass in the night, hang out, obsess with each other and move on. And it's good, becasue without having said it, I know they understand, it's still good and they do too.

Smoking, yeah guilty (which is actaully a lie, I don't like to, but I do so I enjoy it),but your post reminded me of something. Please bare with me for a short story. So I'm in the shrinks and I'm going througn a very serious suicide phase (med induced), we figure out a plan, and then somehow get onto my Hep C and the list goes on with lot's of "his serious" stuff issues, what he thinks is bad for me, remember, he won't listen to anything other then BP. I think they call that a closed mind. He ends the whole thing saying, "you know, you really should stop smoking". I looked at him and just burst out laughing and told him thanks, I really needed that laugh. He was puzzled. I said, look at what we just discussed and I'm to worry about smoking? I might stop smoking and I might not, with the price of the things, I think the free market will be the decider.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 5:18 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Beenthere wrote:
Quote:
I have found I have become more and more reclusive, the older I have become, and as a result, more cynical.

...relationships...I don't understand head games and I don't know how to play them...love was always conditional...either act the way I want you to act or be the way I want you to be...

...friendships...I have very few good friends...with so many people it seems to be a case of "what can you do for me?"...you don't want to be around me because you think I'm just a little "strange"...but you want me around anyways because I can be "useful".

Every time someone is nice to me I start searching for a hidden agenda before I let my guard down anymore. I wish it wasn't that way.

This sounds familiar. I am told that as a child, I was always very controlling when with other children, and in a way, I am the same now. I very much like to control my environment and have had to really work hard to learn to compromise with people and accept and understand that they dont have to like the things I like etc... one of my issues is, I tend to actually feel hurt and insulted if someone says they don't like a song I like, or a movie I like... I have no idea why. Intellectually, I can understand we all have our own tastes etc, but my instant reaction is that.

I wish I did hunt for hidden agendas right away, but sadly, I can be quite naive. I still have too much faith in humanity, evidently, since I tend to start considering too late that someone might just be faking their like for me.

Please don't completely lose that faith in humanity. It shows that you have a good heart. It is so rare in this world. My husband calls it the "Planet of Goodness and Light" and says that is where I live. Every now and then a bad guy (the reality of the rest of the world) comes down and kicks me in the ass and it is quite painful. I shed a few tears and swear that I will never let it happen again. But I know that my faith in humanity and kind heart are my best qualities and they have gotten me through some crappy times. It gets easier as you get older and don't care as much what people think about you.
I also have issues with being controlling and taking it personally when someone doesn't like what I like. I think it has a lot to do with wanting to be validated. If they like what I like, they must like me. My NT son is like this, also. It must come with the whole naive, kind heart package. :)

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 5:57 pm

blessedmom

"I think it has a lot to do with wanting to be validated."

Great sentance, I think I'm trying to do that here, as well. That is worthy of some soul searching.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 May 2007, 5:57 pm

lemon wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
lemon wrote:
i know it's coming, and really don't know what to do with it.

that's exactly what's happening: people start to call me madam when they always said miss, not that i want to be called miss, but it means something changed, i now look like a 'madam' i guess, and i don't know what a madam is like.

like you say when you grow older there is nothing from the inside that changes, so i don't know how to deal with it
(i'm even more sportive now than i was at seventeen and healthier cause i don't smoke no more, so it's not that)

I felt a fear of getting older, too. When I was forty, I went through this frantic phase of trying to stay young. Then I realized that I was blessed with a young face, and that aging, when it happened would be slow, as far as appearance, anyway. My health is poor, unfortunately, so in the physical aspect of aging, I've been getting a taste of what I fear already. You are blessed to have good health. And a young attitude goes a long way, too. I think that we all age in our own way.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 1:38 am

The hardest thing has been losing hope of having the life I dreamed of when I was younger.

It has been a true loss that I have had to spend some time grieving over. When I was a teenager, with a bright future ahead of me (this was 25 years ago), I expected to have a successful life: marriage, grad school education, kids, great career, plenty of money, grand vacations, great house, etc.

HAH! as Mozart would say.

It's too depressing to say how far from that I am.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 2:05 am

i prefer the second half of my life to the first. a lot!

...the hardest thing hmmm. yeah tiredness, lack of resilience.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 3:02 am

fuzzy wrote:
As my age cohort matures towards middle age, the social conventions and rules sets are getting more refined and subtle. I lack the common experiences that they seem to share, and I'm not picking up on the finer social cues. I was fairly functional as a little boy, less so as a teen. As a younger adult I fell through the cracks. Now I am feeling the effects of falling behind so many years.
On the other hand, its getting easier. I understand myself far better. I can articulate my feelings and values in ways I never could before.

Hadn't this dx until few years ago (adulthood), so that in itself is more insight/understanding than I grew up with. I'm not in the same "phase" as my age peers, because I'm not following the path of reproduction. I'm out-of-step with what "normal" people do at this point in their lives, which doesn't matter-but makes it harder to find potential new friends w/shared interests.
igorama wrote:
I'd like to say it's getting worse, but I think that maybe it's always been the same, only the circumstances become less accomodating. As a child the same group is stuck with you for years. And I noticed it usually took people a couple weeks of close contact to get comfortable with me, if ever. So I had friends as a child. I even had friends at college. Finally, in the "real world" I got hit with the realization that it's simply impossible to make friends. If your only chance is to impress someone in a few minutes after the introduction, just count me out.

This is what happened to me when out of school/after I left college. Takes time for my charms to become evident, for my positive qualities to shine through my personal peculiarities. I don't spend time around other people often enough for "us" to get to know each other. I hang out with the same few folks who I can trust because they accept me.
lemon wrote:
other i think getting older is difficult, something is changing or will be and i'm not sure what, i'm going to look differently, to be treated differently and it scares me.

The changing expectations bother me. It was easier, in ways, to be a kid-the demands made upon me, the standards of performance were more achievable. The requirements for being an adult, and the increasingly exacting intricacies one must absorb & decode, are exhausting. I didn't enjoy being powerless (which was how I felt within my family) as a child-but I don't appreciate the assumptions that as an adult, I'm responsible for all my own problems. That I have the power but lack the will, that I'm able just not willing, etc. Which gets back to how the dx has given me new ways to think about how I think...
lemon wrote:

...and that I don't "feel" any specific "age" in my head, never have. Dislike others changing reactions to me based on their perceptions/categories, but of course it happens no matter one's age-I can't do anything about the ideas other people project onto their experience of me.