Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2010, 10:52 pm

Astronaut!! ! :D 8)

Eleo
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2010, 1:16 pm

When I was interested in space, astronaut.
When I was interested in dinosaurs, paleontologist.
When I found out I was good at math, mathematician.
After participating in a school play, actor.
I think in seventh or eighth grade I was inspired to make movies, so I started screenwriting. I was very keen on this throughout high school. I eventually realized it wasn't a very tangible goal for me. So glad I never ended up majoring in film, particularly at a school that isn't known for its program. That would have been such a waste of money.

Billi

01 Nov 2010, 12:23 am

When I was very little I wanted to be a policeman, Then a soldier, then a sailor (did that one) then a stable boy (did that for a few weeks, not fun) then a chemist or engineer, (kind of do both now) by junior high I didn't really want to do anything, (maybe a hermit) In highschool I said I wanted to work on electronics, but that was just a convenient answer for, I don't want to do anything, leave me alone. I got in some trouble after barely passing high school, and my parents wanted me to do something, I was going to join the Army to piss them off, but my dad said he would pay for me to go to Tech school. I did that since that meant I wouldn't have to make a choice for another year. I found something I was good at, diesel mechanics, made straight "A"s. My teacher was ex-coastguard and I wanted to do that, but they weren't really hiring. So I joined the Navy mostly so I could work on really big diesel engines and I did. I still work on large machinery, and I do chemistry everyday at work, and get to work on electrical control system. At one time I even briefly considered a monastic vocation, but realized I would never be celebate.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 12:45 am

sluice wrote:
I thought I wanted to be an astronaut/astronomer. I am not sure where it came from
but I can remember trying to build my own telescope because we didn't have the extra
money to buy one. It didn't really work all that well. I am not sure where my idea came from
because I was the only kid in my neighborhood thinking that way and no one in my family
were scientists. The only other thing I considered for a period was paleontology and I think
every kid goes through one of those phases.

Same as you, except for the building-a-telescope bit :D
Not sure where it came from either. Maybe a school project where we had to learn about a planet of our choice (Saturn), though I could be remembering it wrong and I just wanted to do a project on a planet!

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 1:41 am

I wanted to be an Entomologist. I used to go around telling people random facts I read in my latest insect books, and one day my fifth grade teacher said, 'You should be an Entomologist'.

I ended up studying for a while to be a teacher instead.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2010, 8:48 pm

When I was very young, I wanted to be an artist because I always got compliments on my drawings. Then I learned that artists usually get very little money, so I decided to be a dentist because dentists make a lot of money. Then I decided that being a dentist sounded boring, but I had gotten pretty good at writing and decided to be a writer. Then I realized that I don't have the concentration ability necessary to write long things. Then I gained an interest in biology and wanted to be a doctor, but the time and money needed to become one scares me because I know that I could easily change my mind again. Now I'm unemployed, not in school, and have no idea what I want to do with my life.

trszvd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2010, 8:42 pm

When I was really young I wanted to be a wife & mother, but because I have a facial birthmark my mom & aunts told me not to count on that. Ouch! Really wanted the kids more than the husband so I thought I would adopt kids from different countries. Never did have kids. Probably a good thing...

I wanted to be a veterinarian. I dumbed myself down in school to try to fit in, but still maintained grades good enough to be accepted into the university of my choice. I was right on track, but my father de-railed things when he refused to help with the bills because he didn't approve of the college of my choice. (Too big. Too urban. His racial prejudice.)

I wanted to move to Alaska and work in a fish processing plant. The money was good and the "frontier" was gorgeous & wild & out of the ordinary. I thought about the Army...and the Peace Corps.

Never did any of it. Worked in a library for 7 yrs. an insurance agency for 3 yrs, was self-employed, worked as a landscaper, data entry, courier, auto parts delivery, LOTS of kennel work - mostly animal shelters but one vet clinic. Ended up working on a dairy farm raising calves for the last 13 yrs. It does have many veterinary aspects to it.

Cloudsky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2010, 12:55 am

I wanted to be a hermit, sit on a mountain and read books all day. Guess I got my wish :)

Repent
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2010, 11:19 pm

When I was young, (during the space age), I was told by my teachers that by the time I was middle aged there would be vibrant established colonies on the Moon and on Mars. I wanted to be an inventor to assist towards that goal. Sadly none of that ever happened.

Also when I was a little older my father tried a few times to run for political office for city mayor. I figured I could follow in his footsteps and eventually be a famous politician. I carried this idea right though my teens, until I realized in my early 20's that I, for whatever reason- (unknown at the time that I was an Aspie), that I did not have the social and interpersonal skills that are essential for that walk of life.

I liked computers, but I had poor math skills.

Eventually drifted into trucking administration where I still am today- likely this is it for the balance of my life. I don't know how to do anything else, and at least this pays the bills.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

IWantYourSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2010, 4:55 am

I wanted to be a mechanic. I was a real tomboy when younger and liked pulling things apart and putting them back together.

My father wanted me to be a model :?

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2010, 7:08 pm

I always wanted to be a paleontologist. Loved digging and dinosaurs.

Never took the leap to try for it. I did look up what it would take to became one once some years ago but I didn't think I could manage it.

I'm working toward maybe becoming a teacher's aide for preschoolers or something related to children as that's all I have experience in doing.

Meredith
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2010, 3:11 pm

As a child my aspirations were very specific.

I wanted to invent a self sufficient house so you could do anything from anywhere inside it, bear in mine this was the early nineties. ;)

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 6:17 pm

I wanted to be a marine biologist and my brother wanted to be an animator.

I ended up becoming a motion graphics designer and animator, my brother became an organic chemist and research scientist.

Odd.

MrNobody
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2010, 10:36 am

Ive always wanted to be an artist since I was about 12 .... Things have collapsed in the last few months so I am not at uni anymore -still think that a painter is all I can be though.

boots1123
Raven
Raven

21 Nov 2010, 2:17 am

Very wide variety of interests.

I wanted to be a cowboy (girl), and did. Along the way, I seemed to have a knack for treating injured cattle and horses and went to college in my late 30s and early 40s and got a degree in occupational therapy. Now I do that and the ranching.

kingjaymes
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2010, 2:51 am

gynecologist