Why do I come off as awkward 1 week, then fine the next?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MickeyRiku
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2019, 6:43 pm

So, i'm a 24 year old college student, I also work part time at a pizza place as a driver. but my main issue is the one i'm facing this week at college. The past 2 years have been the best. I've got a close group of friends i can share pretty much anything with, but lately, when we are in a crowded area, i get nervous and i start being slightly obnoxious because of the amount of stuff going on around me. sometimes a friend will get annoyed. I want to explain to them I would rather hang out in a less crowded area after classes, and they know i have aspergers, but i am still nervous to tell them that. How do i go about that?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 4:16 am

You can explain that a lot of people with Aspergers or Aspies have issues with hypersensitivity and that large crowded noisy places are difficult for you due to sensory overstimulation.

As for why this issue has popped up recently the “spoon theory” might be the explanation. Spoon theory says that while everybody has a certain amount of mental energy until they can not do it anymore people who have a chronic illness or disability have less energy or spoons. While the average person has lets say 10 “spoons” a day energy a person with a disability may have eight. For the average person large crowds may not use up any “spoons” for an autistic person may use up 2 spoons. Socializing can use up a lot of “spoons”.

Getting obnoxious is often a reaction to mental exhaustion.
Spoon Theory & Autism

Besides explaining to your friends what you can do is try and figure out if there had been anything added to your life recently that has added stress. Diet is something to look at especially if you are away at school. Positive things can also add stress. Certain spoon using things can be cut out and more rest and quite time added to replenish your “spoons”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 10:24 am

Everyone acts differently in different situations

Everyone comes across differently to different people

Not jus one week, demeanors and expression are constantly changing

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 9:49 pm

Hello Mickey,

You probably have heard of "spoon theory." We have to recharge, us Aspies, as we get ground down and regenerate ourselves.

The funny thing is I had a two-hour phone call with a publisher recently and it was great, I charmed them and it looks as if I will be a published author (of a romance novel, no less) fairly soon--but the funny thing is, I about fell out in the middle of a two-hour party the next day.

Dimples123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2019, 10:11 pm

I find this weird too, people expect you to be "ON" 24/7 but you can only keep that up for so long that you burnout big time.