Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

alipich
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2013, 10:08 am

I'm opening an new topic for elder with aspergers.

Is there any ressources or groups in your communities for us. What can we do to make sure that we have support specialize for older aspies in the future years instead of beeing mixed with other disabled persons,

Can we create communities of apsergers individuals that respect our need of balance between solitude and social life, .The only place that respect that lifestyle are monasteries.
or religious communities.

Currently, I live with 2 other suspected aspies and one Nt that we dont see a lot because he's working all day and come home only for sleeping and goes back in his family on weekends,

It's a lot easier because we have set rules that everybody respects and each of us has his space to get rest, doing individual activities and recover, No parties, no noisy music or TV, only peace and quiet.If someone comes he would find us very boring but it's ok this way, No bad surprise, or no surprise at all, everyone live with his own rythm according to the rythm of the others.

I would like to know, how do you see yourself aging with asperger. Your fears or your expectations in your life to come.

PrncssAlay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2013, 10:18 am

alipich wrote:
I would like to know, how do you see yourself aging with asperger. Your fears or your expectations in your life to come.

Lately I've been thinking about sharing a house with a younger Aspie family member. We are the only two in our family who can seriously communicate with each other without being (gently) bullied or made fun of.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 10:24 am

With co-living, I would make sure that if anyone in the home likes to watch TV, to get wireless headsets for TV watching so as not to disturb other co-habitants. I can't stand listening to other people's TV programs. Eew.

PrncssAlay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2013, 10:35 am

mikassyna wrote:
I can't stand listening to other people's TV programs. Eew.

I agree. Fortunately neither of us ever watches actual tv (other than occasional news on a laptop), and we both listen mostly to classical music.

alipich
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2013, 11:00 am

If one of us is listening to TV or music - we make sure to wear headphones to avoid disturbing the others, and once in a while, if we like, we can listen TV together if we like to same program or movie but not often.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

My grandmother-in-law moved to an "assisted living" facility at the end of her life. Each resident had a small apartment of their own, and an emergency call button in each room in case they needed help. There were nurses on duty to handle medical stuff, a dining room where residents could eat (or have meals delivered to their room), a van to give them rides to appointments and shopping, onsite laundry... I remember thinking, "This would be a perfect place for autistics, even if they weren't elderly!"

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 2:12 pm

^ Assisted living sounds like the way I'd go, too.

alipich
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2013, 9:12 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
My grandmother-in-law moved to an "assisted living" facility at the end of her life. Each resident had a small apartment of their own, and an emergency call button in each room in case they needed help. There were nurses on duty to handle medical stuff, a dining room where residents could eat (or have meals delivered to their room), a van to give them rides to appointments and shopping, onsite laundry... I remember thinking, "This would be a perfect place for autistics, even if they weren't elderly!"

My mom is actualy living in that type of facility and they take good care of her. Me too, Once, I tought that it would great to live a that type of community, thought I'm almost 50, I would be very comfortable with the idea of living in a nursing home like her.

But living in an aspie community, managed by aspies, Where everyone is using theirs skills for the good functionning of the community is fantastic, Enough solitude to take care of ourselves and always someone to share a common interest or to discuss about a problem. No drama, just smooth discussions about how to improve the life of our community if there is something annoying for one or for the others.We are always solutions-oriented in a win-win attitude so that everybody.feels comfortable.

WildTaltos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 10:23 pm

Il live indepndeent until Im struck dead by lightning. Lol or probably in my caes, cancre, which Im curently dealin with. I enjoy my comunity very much - vry close interpersonal relatinships, even if I am somewaht excluded at times, basd upon blood and mariage relations and religion. And I supose that's why it work prety well for me - as you mentiond, religious comunities at times are more intune to a need for balancce betwen the social and self exploratin/enlightnment (which requires solitude). I've only been latly diagnosd with AS, so what resuorces are avilable to me isnt too much a concern; I figuer if Ive gotten ths far in life withuot such things even if its been dificult, wont realy need it ever.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 11:02 pm

This topic is very much on my mind.

After 20 years of cognitive/behavioral therapy I find I can live a reasonably functional life with above-average income. But as I age, my short-term memory lessens and my cognitive speed is slowing, adding to the number of instances of sensory-overload that I experience. So on top of the normal challenges of aging, I find that my Aspie-coping skills are decreasing.

I suspect that "Aspie Aging" is an area that will increasingly deserve more attention, at least in the United States where the overall population demographic is shifting toward the aged.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 11:32 pm

I'd just rather not think about it right now.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2013, 8:02 pm

Excellent topic.

I'm 64, and I was just wondering to myself this morning which is a bigger burden ... being an aspie or being old?

Facing up to the realization that you're in the home stretch can be disconcerting. That damned Reaper is a heartless bastard, and I'm hearing his footsteps in the distance. And while you can make your peace with it, I think anyone who says they're "ok" with dying is lying through their teeth.

For myself, my physical and mental health are still good, for which I'm very grateful, but if you were to ask if I could have one or the other ... youth or be aspie-free ... well ... it wouldn't even be close.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 8:04 pm

I used to be "OK with dying" until I met my wrong planet princess :) now the thought of premature death disturbs me greatly.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 7:20 pm

alipich wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:

My mom is actualy living in that type of facility and they take good care of her. Me too, Once, I tought that it would great to live a that type of community, thought I'm almost 50, I would be very comfortable with the idea of living in a nursing home like her.

But living in an aspie community, managed by aspies, Where everyone is using theirs skills for the good functionning of the community is fantastic, Enough solitude to take care of ourselves and always someone to share a common interest or to discuss about a problem. No drama, just smooth discussions about how to improve the life of our community if there is something annoying for one or for the others.We are always solutions-oriented in a win-win attitude so that everybody.feels comfortable.

YES YES YES!! ! I have been searching for just such a place but It seems once again we older Aspies are out of luck. There are plenty such places if you are transitioning from HS to college but after the age of 22/24 NOTHING. I suspect like everything else Aspie when the generation that is now college age hits their mid-thirties such places will appear and multiply. By then we will have all figured out some alternative coping method.

PrncssAlay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2013, 11:07 am

Stone_Man wrote:
Facing up to the realization that you're in the home stretch can be disconcerting.

But on the positive side of "being in the home stretch," I now have an excuse for planning a seven-week-long road trip this fall, which I have been dreaming about for ages. One large loop around most of the US, about half of which I have done in the past but in segments. Fun! And museums (my LOVE in life)!

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2013, 6:31 pm

PrncssAlay wrote:
Stone_Man wrote:
Facing up to the realization that you're in the home stretch can be disconcerting.

But on the positive side of "being in the home stretch," I now have an excuse for planning a seven-week-long road trip this fall, which I have been dreaming about for ages. One large loop around most of the US, about half of which I have done in the past but in segments. Fun! And museums (my LOVE in life)!

Good for you!