Page 2 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2013, 6:21 pm

I'm so sorry. I wish I could help. :(

If it's a money issue you could do an online appeal if you're not too proud to ask strangers for help. www.gofundme.com Another member on here is homeless (actually I think quite a few people are) and I made the suggestion that he should ask people for donations. Edit: well, no, I wasn't the first one to suggest that. People had already donated to him by the time I came across the thread. I mean I was the one who suggested that he set up an account on a website such as gofundme.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2013, 11:03 pm

LogicalMolly wrote:
I'm so sorry. I wish I could help. :(

If it's a money issue you could do an online appeal if you're not too proud to ask strangers for help. www.gofundme.com Another member on here is homeless (actually I think quite a few people are) and I made the suggestion that he should ask people for donations. Edit: well, no, I wasn't the first one to suggest that. People had already donated to him by the time I came across the thread. I mean I was the one who suggested that he set up an account on a website such as gofundme.

thanks very much i will check it out first thing in the a.m.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2013, 5:03 pm

first day of yard sale done. phew. did alright, pulled in 50-60 bucks. DVDs and Blurays selling well as i'd hoped.

forcing myself to eat some homemade navy beans i made yesterday. still no appetite.

also forced myself to socialize with my neighbors, shared a few beers. it helped the depression a lot.

i keep thining i have so much to be grateful for, it's just the fear of not knowing what will happen the next few weeks or where i'll end up. practicing staying in the moment (struggling). i think i'll watch "alive" tonight or "in pursuit of happyness" which always pick up my spirits when i feel hopeless and desperate.

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2013, 5:12 pm

Poor Opi. I am so sorry. I have been homeless before and it's horrible. I really hope you find somewhere to stay. (((hugs))))

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2013, 5:03 pm

bad day. no traffic at yard sale. just feel very blue. the waiting is the hardest part. the long lonely empty days. after yard sale finishes today i'm going to figure out what i might list for sale on craigslist that didn't sell and then tackle my closet and start either packing or sorting through clothes i can take and stuff i can't take to the shelter. i'm telling you what i will throw out every goddamn thing i have before i throw out my shoes. i love my shoes.

made myself make a pork loin roast and some noodles before they go bad. so i have nutritious food and i ate some. for some reasons i can't get myself do the dishes. usually they are the first thing to go when i'm up for the day.

i feel very paranoid, like everyone is looking at me strangely. it's true this is a town where everyone knows EVERYONE's business. but it also feels like a lot of strangers, like the ones coming by for the yard sale, just seem like creeps and as*holes and are laughing at me behind my back.

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2013, 5:33 pm

(((((hugs)))))))

I feel so impotent and awkward not knowing what I can post on here that would be of any help. I hope it makes you feel better just to get some well-wishes from strangers, and virtual hugs. Hope all goes well. xx

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 8:16 pm

Opi; I know this is not much, but. As you know we live in a little travel trailer in Colorado. We also have a totally piece of crap travel trailer behind our automotive shop outside of Denver. It has NO running water,plus the refigerator is broken, but since the trailer is in the backyard of our shop, water and toilet can be used in there. The trailer [and it really is old] does have electricity and wi-fi.

We can get a greyhound ticket from flagstaff to denver for a price we can swing, but only if the reservations are made at least a week in advance. You would have to allow lJ to sleep on the couch on the mornings he is able to work until he wakes up.

I know, what I am offering sucks, I wish we could help more,but I just want you to know that is an option for you.

I'm praying for you.

Vicky

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2013, 8:19 pm

Vicky, you're so kind. :heart:

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2013, 8:25 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
Opi; I know this is not much, but. As you know we live in a little travel trailer in Colorado. We also have a totally piece of crap travel trailer behind our automotive shop outside of Denver. It has NO running water,plus the refigerator is broken, but since the trailer is in the backyard of our shop, water and toilet can be used in there. The trailer [and it really is old] does have electricity and wi-fi.

We can get a greyhound ticket from flagstaff to denver for a price we can swing, but only if the reservations are made at least a week in advance. You would have to allow lJ to sleep on the couch on the mornings he is able to work until he wakes up.

I know, what I am offering sucks, I wish we could help more,but I just want you to know that is an option for you.

I'm praying for you.

Vicky

Vicky you are very kind, and what i want to let you know is that if local resources (shelter, vehicle, etc.) don't pan out as hoped, i would be happy and able go get my own greyhound ticket.

i will let you know as things develop.

/many hugs
Ophellia

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2013, 4:26 pm

ok, well, an update.

i found an 87 jeep cherokee for exactly what i can afford and the guy is willing to deliver it to me on the 20th, which is the day i get my check. i'm very nervous something will go wrong but for now it's out of my hands.

i got a lot done today sorting through clothes and trying to pare down my belongings. i got a lot organized, but i still have way too much stuff. too much to fit in the jeep especially if i'm going to be living in it.

but i'm in a lot better shape than i was yesterday just in terms of having gotten a mountain of pre-moving stuff done which is always very difficult for me and something i put off until the last minute.

still doing a lot of problem-solving, still kind of depressed but taking my anti-depressant seems to help.

should i get rid of my sheets? my pjs? my cookware? the rest of my dvds? i refuse to give up my backpack or my tools. i can't believe i have so much s**t and i really hardly use any of it. i don't know why it's so hard to figure out what to take.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 12:15 pm

Unless you have definite aspirations to go where 2wd absolutely won't, a Jeep is just a pile of extra parts waiting to break. A cheap, reliable vehicle is one that is out of fashion, like a faded company truck. Any kind of van is much easier to live in. Having windows makes it harder to grab a nap in privacy. In cold weather, condensation is the biggest problem without a really good insulation job. Pickup campers and trailers are also worth a look. Maybe a tiny home is what you need. They are usually trailers, but built like houses, with a sleeping loft.
It is always hard to guess which things to keep and which to leave. The smaller and more multi-purpose, the better. I hauled a lot of stuff here that just reminds me of bad times and unfinished work.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2013, 1:15 pm

actually the inline 6 4.0 engine on the 87 model is considered one of the most durable engines ever made.

but the bottom line is my choices were limited especially by my limited budget (1k) and extremely tight cash flow (money comes in on 20th, lease ends 21st).

i'm just looking for ways to decide what is essential to keep, how to stay clean, how to stay fed, etc. etc. like how did you cook food?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 11:37 pm

Overall, Jeeps are in the bottom half of the reliability charts. They only look tough. There's a lot more to it than the motor. You can take a chance on several beaters for a grand. I get reliable cars with great mileage for $200 per year in parts and depreciation. Gas economy matters if you don't know where you want to wind up.
I use a single burner camp stove to cook. I have seen pay-per-shower stalls at truck stops, camp grounds and laundomats. A sponge bath works. My favorite, in nice weather, is to heat up a water bag in the sun, and hang it on a tree branch in some private spot. With care, 2 gallons is enough for a shampoo and all.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2013, 4:17 pm

dear one i really appreciate the suggestions and the pm. but i just have to leap to the defense of jeeps. it's true especially post 2000 models have had their share of problems. but the 80's to early 90's are simple, unbelievably tough, and unbelievably fun to drive, which is why they have a huge fan base (at some point Chrysler bought the company from AMC and i do believe that's when they started going downhill).

the one i plan to get has also been modified to address some of the weaker points, like the crappy back axles they originally used. they are also really easy to work on and really easy to get parts for.

what can i say, i am absolutely hooked on the '87 cherokees and comanches.

for those who have been concerned, i cannot overstate how important the support y'all have given me both by posting and PM. right now i'm three days away from moving and mostly caught up in everything i have to get done (packing, cleaning, turning off utilities, etc.) (and downsizing bigtime) (not to mention the yard sale). So i'm just basically too tired to read or post.

however i've gone from being depressed and anxious to just stressed, which i can handle. i'm not in meltdown mode anymore. i cannot handle unknowns and i cannot handle waiting and i was having to deal with both. now that i've nailed down the day, place, and time i'll be picking up the SUV, and i know i'll have someplace to stay whether the shelter works out or not (i did a lot of research on how to live out of a car), i'm in a much better place. so thank you all and wish me luck with the new wheels (hopefully i'm not full of s**t about how great the '87 jeeps are).

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 8:22 pm

1987 was the last year of the AMC-made Jeeps. AMC went bankrupt and was purchased by Chrysler, for a couple years Jeeps were still being made at AMC factories, then those factories were closed and Jeep production was shifted to Chrysler plants. The Daimler made Jeeps (post-late 90s) are awful. I would personally recommend a van or a small Class C motorhome if you will live in it, but you said you only had $1000 which limits your options. Avoid large cities if at all possible, the car people are routinely rounded up and "disappeared" in places like Los Angeles.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2013, 9:04 pm

like i said, it's an '87, one of the last AMC jeeps built. thanks for the accurate history.

i will only be in vegas briefly, and only because i have a friend there where i can safely park and have guardienship. by next month i'll be heading to the east coast.

good info.