The Dino-Aspie Cafe (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 242 of 247 [ 3937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 247  Next

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 9:07 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
"Pwned" originated in online shooter games, where the players had to type their messages as quickly as possible in order to avoid getting killed. It started as "owned" ("Man, I totally owned you with that headshot!"), then some punk decided he couldn't possibly admit to a mistake, so he claimed he meant to type "pwned". Now it's fallen into leetspeak (or 13375p34k) common usage, along with such neologisms as "n00b" and "lewtz" (as in my new favorite bumper sticker: "Stop camping my rear bumper! It has no phat lewtz!").

They have T-shirts now that say "I survived Barrens chat" It's about a zone in the game I like to play on line, WOW. Anyone care to duel with Chuck Norris jokes? Mention Chuck in the barrens and all you'll see is cuse words and groans. It's calmed done alot since the early days, but what a hoot. I have a cow critter on WoW that's called Moobe, after the Noobe thingy, fun stuff, nothing serious about it. Well some play for blood, but I only do if I need to kill gophers, bunnies and squirrels and snakes, hate them snakes. And Night Elves, they are all bad, gnomes are good to kill because everybody knows they are filled with pie.

Chuck Norris's tears cure cancer. Bad news is, Chuck never crys.
Chuck Noriis never sleeps. He waits.

Bad bad bad and I love them. You can even google Chuck jokes now.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 10:34 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
As for selling one's writing: I'm in Merle's camp. Back when I was in Uni, I felt like you do, Zanne. I wrote stories, sci-fi, and felt that the whole publishing establishment was bollocks. To this day I have a briefcase full of stories, and assorted fragments, in my garage. TM has never seen them. Not the least interested in showing them 'round. But now I'm getting older, and I'm mercenary. I'm writing a fantasy story, novel length, and hope to publish it. Perhaps I can swing an illustrated novel. (Don't like that 'graphic novel' label much.) After all, Alan Moore is one of me heroes ! !! It's purely for a bit of money in the bank for my old age, and TM's. BUT I understand your feelings, Zanne. If I had a good paying job, where I was liked, I'd prolly feel the same way...

(By the by, Zanne, If I've offended you by not PM'ing back, I do apologize.)

No worries, Prof. I had forgotten I PMed you! LOL

Dh says I don't know the s word - share. That probably has something to do with it. I think it's that it is too much me. I can't distinguish me from my writing. I would give up everything, including dh before I gave up that. That being the case it's like selling myself to me or letting someone else have total control over me. That's not happening! 8O I have to hold the whip!

Anyway, the tale of the Aspie woman and the arms dealer is now at an end. Everyone who needed to die for the sake of the story is dead. Everyone else was pretty much devastated except our Aspie woman and her reformed arms dealer. She fended off the assassins, held the artery of a dying woman to stop the bleeding and kept the baby safe. So all is right in the world again. :wink: If only work and dinner hadn't interfered I would have gotten those last 15 pages done earlier!

to save me from ruin

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 10:36 am

sinsboldly wrote:
ZanneMarie wrote:
They have all been drinking the Kool Aid. Okay. Who knows where that saying originates?...

so 'drinking the Flavouraid' is to say, a true believer.

Merle

They bet their lives on that belief so to speak. I guess that made them more firm believers than most Christians.

to save me from ruin

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 10:39 am

Zanne, glad to hear all has ended well.

I'm in process of doing research into the fantasy land I'm 'improving', which is proving to be far more detailed than I had previously thought...
That, and cryptography, and history of the author, and a couple of stories that are tangential to the whole thing.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 12:32 pm

I like to do research as well, Prof. My Favorites is full of links to research.

to save me from ruin

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 12:18 am

:)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 12:20 am

Prof,
I finally looked up the Arkham Libes. . .and found I can get a library card there!

so can anyone. . .Here is the website Arkham Library Card

Last edited by sinsboldly on 31 May 2007, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 10:29 am

Merle, you're the first to ever look that up ! !!

(Oh be still my ASpie heart ! !!)

Last edited by Prof_Pretorius on 04 Jun 2007, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 5:24 pm

Ok,
now I have the window air conditioner in the bedroom, and two distributor fans going throughout the apartment. even in the kitchen, with its sunny nook where my plants are, you can feel the coolness in side while the Southern Oregon sun is heating up the local environment to over 102F today with 72% humidity. but thanks to my persistence, it is:

ah, let me look ...

76F at 55% humidity. Delightful!

Bliss, now if I can rig up an awning to keep the morning sun out of the front room, I won't have to draw so much energy to run the fans to cool it down in the afternoon.

I just was sitting here, finally ENJOYING my apartment and I realized I am going to hang my pictures and objects that I have in my magic file cabinet long one wall of my studio/office/ workspace that used to be my 'front room'. (now I know why I don't have a couch! it's NOT a front room! it's a studio and I am sorting out my notes and hanging them up where I can arrange and then re arrange, and find the flow because I am finally writing my book. I like how organic it is. . .I am not 'forcing' anything,( and oh! do I know better than to force it!)
it is just happening. And I had better get it all out and organized before Mercury goes retrograde again in 14. . no, 13 days now.

you can too. Word to the wise. Mercury retrograde can really mess with your neurons, it makes me more stressed than usual because I am dealing with being lost half the time, organization flung to the winds, it behooves me to get things organized into being able to take care of myself day in day out so everything goes smoothly

. Humm. I sound like someone that has a food allergy, "... gluten really messes with my neurons, I can really feel it when I don't do gluten for a couple of weeks. " (that's the sound of my 'mentor's ' voice by the way) she really is into dietary modification. I ought to tell her about my astrological modifications, hummfh. . :wink: think she will dismiss it as fol-er-rol like I do her allergy theories?

still holding at 76F in here. and the humidity is dropping to 52% it gives me great relief to know I will not have to live in my bedroom this summer!

Merle

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jun 2007, 5:39 pm

Say, Merle, have you ever heard of AstroCartography, and if so, what do you think of it?

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 9:08 pm

My friend Marge found a wonderful Astrocartography site from the 1700's. I'll have to get the name of the man so you can see it. She finds the most obscure and wonderful things. She is such an interesting person. I still get tired when I see her, but I do like to see her once in awhile now that she's retired.

to save me from ruin

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 11:31 am

hartzofspace wrote:
Say, Merle, have you ever heard of AstroCartography, and if so, what do you think of it?

I think I am in the wrong business if you can get $175.00 for a 90 minute consultation!

but more seriously, It seems to me like playing with numbers and if the numbers say bla bla blah then so and so and so. But I am pretty simplistic about lots of things I don't actually understand.

I use www.skywatchastrology.com for my astrological forcast, because it comes from that unique space of what is happening TODAY in the position of the planets, and can let you trim your sails, so to speak, in the days ahead.

Merle

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 11:40 am

It's been a long time since I've had more then a passing interest in this stuff. It was my understanding that in order to do this correctly, you needed to do it on a very personal level. That the general run of the mill forcasts were, umm, how do I put this? Wrong. There is a fair amount of figuring out to do your own charts, that's way people get paid to do this stuff.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 1:40 pm

postpaleo wrote:
It's been a long time since I've had more then a passing interest in this stuff. It was my understanding that in order to do this correctly, you needed to do it on a very personal level. That the general run of the mill forcasts were, umm, how do I put this? Wrong. There is a fair amount of figuring out to do your own charts, that's way people get paid to do this stuff.

oh, I am not saying they don't earn their money, or they should do it for free, I am just saying I am in the wrong business! :wink:

Check out the www.skywatchastrology.com Postie, and revel in the perspective!

Merle

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 6:01 am

postpaleo wrote:

For many people it is. My sun sign is Libra, but I'm cusp of Scorpio and I have Scorpio rising. Needless to say, I act Scorpio most of the time. Or, I'm back and forth, looking at all sides of the situation when suddenly that Scorpion tail whips up and stings the crap out of someone. Then, I go back to be the fair and kind Libra. It confuses everyone. 8O

If dh knew, he'd love the fact that I'm Scorpio-infused. He gets some major benefits out of that!

to save me from ruin

Last edited by ZanneMarie on 05 Jun 2007, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 6:41 am

Oh shoot, I've been sprung :( :oops:

My deputy came in today and told me that it was noticeable that I've been procrastinating a lot lately. They then went on to describe exactly how they think I procrastinate. The annoying thing is they were damn well spot on, and it's hard to refute something when you know yourself that it's all true.

I let them have time if necessary to do personal things, but I get "it's been noticed that you're leaving a lot to pick your kids up from school". So f***ing what? And besides, it's been twice in the last 2 months - hardly "a lot" - and I always clear it with my boss & make the time up by working at home :? Why is it wrong for me to do and yet I am so flipping accommodating when they have personal problems?

As predicted, they also mentioned that my "angry outbursts" at people recently have been put down to me not being able to control my temper, and not a legitimate expression of how I feel. Why can everyone else express themselves forcefully, but not me?

Grrr - the most annoying thing is that the underlying message is right. I know it's right and I know I should have done something about it ages ago. You just don't want people pointing it out to you :oops:

Geez, just 25 years to retirement :roll:

Sorry - rant over. Thank you if you managed to make it all the way through it :lol: