The Dino-Aspie Cafe (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 102 of 247 [ 3937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 247  Next

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 8:09 pm

Your parents went way off the other direction. My mom would just throw out our toys if we left them out and we'd never get a repalcement. If we fought over anything, it was gone. She only did a smack, but she didn't warn, she just smacked. We didn't do things twice. She had six kids and my dad worked away from home all week. She put up with no shenanigans. We didn't bully each other and we certainly didn't hurt each other. I can't imagine what she would have done then. She wouldn't have pelted us with stones though. My mother also wouldn't have tolerated anyone else bullying us. We lived in a small town and she knew all of those people. She would have been all up in those parents faces' in 2.2 seconds. I remember the town cop's nephew and his friends tried to bully my youngest brother. My mom went straight to "Gene," the town cop, and told him he had better get "that kid" in line or she would take care of it for him. My mom didn't mess around. If she said it, she meant it. That kid would have been in a heap of trouble. So Gene had a talk with is nephew and none of those kids even looked at my youngest brother again. The funny part about that story is that my youngest brother is actually very intimidating looking and probably didn't need her to help him at all. But, that's my mom. She might smack us, but God help anyone else that picked on part of her brood.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2007, 8:16 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
That's 6 with ringing in the ears. PostPaleo, ZanneMarie, CosmicCat, Lau, Hartzofspace, SeriousGirl.
Anyone else?

I get it when i let my blood sugar get low (or too high now that i'm diabetic.) Don't know if it's the same thing for you all.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 8:52 pm

Robyn enters, carefully edging past chairs, arms crossed to avoid touching anyone. She places a container of anzac biscuits on the bench... But how can she have her arms crossed if she's carrying biscuites??

Please have a biscuit (ie cookie)

Tintinus is ringing in the ears. I googled it for the spelling and there were many gentle cures offered that I didn't bother investigating. Gingko biloba is one cure that I have heard of. You need to take it for 3 months before getting relief. A friend was taking it for poor memory, stopped, and the ringing in her ears returned. She hadn't noticed that it had stopped. My daughter also has it, and stress makes it worse. Supposedly caused by poor peripheral circulation so cold hands, feet etc

Postpaleo, I am a good editor, dabble in writing children's literature (could have been published but have very low energy so didn"t finish) Also I was a teacher and have recognised talented writers in spite of poor handwriting, spelling. Once sent a shy aboriginal kid to the gifted group whose handwriting and spelling was atrocius but he was brilliant at maths and writing.

I think that it is vital that aspies get their work out there (out where?) so why wait for good spelling? I'd like to help if you like.

My grandson Ubby Ubby Ubby has returned from a short holiday which extended his Easter break. His aspie behaviour, which we weren't aware of before he started school, has intensified in year 2. He has melt downs almost every day about school. He has a fill-in teacher this term who has visited the school 3 times before starting this term. Smelena, his mother, insisted on it.

My request is that some of you send him a post. Lau, even with your half brain, you make him laugh. Thanks a lot and have another biscuit.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 8:52 pm

Robyn enters, carefully edging past chairs, arms crossed to avoid touching anyone. She places a container of anzac biscuits on the bench... But how can she have her arms crossed if she's carrying biscuites??

Please have a biscuit (ie cookie)

Tintinus is ringing in the ears. I googled it for the spelling and there were many gentle cures offered that I didn't bother investigating. Gingko biloba is one cure that I have heard of. You need to take it for 3 months before getting relief. A friend was taking it for poor memory, stopped, and the ringing in her ears returned. She hadn't noticed that it had stopped. My daughter also has it, and stress makes it worse. Supposedly caused by poor peripheral circulation so cold hands, feet etc

Postpaleo, I am a good editor, dabble in writing children's literature (could have been published but have very low energy so didn"t finish) Also I was a teacher and have recognised talented writers in spite of poor handwriting, spelling. Once sent a shy aboriginal kid to the gifted group whose handwriting and spelling was atrocius but he was brilliant at maths and writing.

I think that it is vital that aspies get their work out there (out where?) so why wait for good spelling? I'd like to help if you like.

My grandson Ubby Ubby Ubby has returned from a short holiday which extended his Easter break. His aspie behaviour, which we weren't aware of before he started school, has intensified in year 2. He has melt downs almost every day about school. He has a fill-in teacher this term who has visited the school 3 times before starting this term. Smelena, his mother, insisted on it.

My request is that some of you send him a post. Lau, even with your half brain, you make him laugh. Thanks a lot and have another biscuit.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 8:55 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
That's 6 with ringing in the ears. PostPaleo, ZanneMarie, CosmicCat, Lau, Hartzofspace, SeriousGirl.
Anyone else?

Me.. Merle. I have singing in my ears, sort of a B sharp upward rushing siiiiiiiiiii sound that changes when I do strenuous activity. It's getting louder as I age, too. I also hear my blood beat in my ears, so it isn't that.

I lived WAY up in the coast mountains as a cook for a tree planting crew, and during the day the crew would all be gone and I would cook for them. I was alone for 14 hours a day, camped near the streams I would actually ( I am not kidding, gang) hear faintly a radio station through the sound of the swollen raging stream and my ears. This was Galice Creek and it was so whitewater in the spring thaw you could hear huge boulders crashing underwater as they bounced and rolled down the stream bed.
And after the first two weeks I realized I was hearing "Paint it Black" in the sound of the steam. I ignored it but then there was "Yesterday" plain as day! Then I started hearing COMMERCIALS for Gold Bond medicated powder and I though I had cabin fever! After as while I heard a station ID "KCST Oldies radio" and lots of Rolling Stones songs, old Beatles and some songs I had never heard before. I stayed up there for over three months and it was my constant companion. I found out later there was a real radio station KCST 1250 AM from Florence, OR over on the coast and the new songs were country western. Don't ask, I have no idea! I only know it's what I heard in the constant roar. Probably one of the strangest things I remember happening to me.

Merle
Merle

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 9:20 pm

Probably one of the strangest things I remember happening to me.[/quote] ie hearing a radio station through ringing in the ears
Wow! stranger than science fiction! Big Brother is listening to you!

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Apr 2007, 9:23 pm

That's 11 with ringing in the ears. PostPaleo, ZanneMarie, CosmicCat, Lau, Hartzofspace, SeriousGirl,Tomart, Sinsboldly, YowlingCat, Rjaye, Prof_Pretorius.

Anyone else?

Last edited by cosmiccat on 19 Apr 2007, 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Apr 2007, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Tintinus is ringing in the ears. I googled it for the spelling and there were many gentle cures offered that I didn't bother investigating. Gingko biloba is one cure that I have heard of. You need to take it for 3 months before getting relief. A friend was taking it for poor memory, stopped, and the ringing in her ears returned. She hadn't noticed that it had stopped. My daughter also has it, and stress makes it worse.

Thank you Nanarob. I have heard of Gingko biloba for relief. Unfortunately I can't take it because it speeds up my heart rate. I agree that stress aggravates it.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Apr 2007, 9:39 pm

sinsboldly wrote:

Me.. Merle. I have singing in my ears, sort of a B sharp upward rushing siiiiiiiiiii sound that changes when I do strenuous activity. It's getting louder as I age, too. I also hear my blood beat in my ears, so it isn't that.

I lived WAY up in the coast mountains as a cook for a tree planting crew, and during the day the crew would all be gone and I would cook for them. I was alone for 14 hours a day, camped near the streams I would actually ( I am not kidding, gang) hear faintly a radio station through the sound of the swollen raging stream and my ears. This was Galice Creek and it was so whitewater in the spring thaw you could hear huge boulders crashing underwater as they bounced and rolled down the stream bed.
And after the first two weeks I realized I was hearing "Paint it Black" in the sound of the steam. I ignored it but then there was "Yesterday" plain as day! Then I started hearing COMMERCIALS for Gold Bond medicated powder and I though I had cabin fever! After as while I heard a station ID "KCST Oldies radio" and lots of Rolling Stones songs, old Beatles and some songs I had never heard before. I stayed up there for over three months and it was my constant companion. I found out later there was a real radio station KCST 1250 AM from Florence, OR over on the coast and the new songs were country western. Don't ask, I have no idea! I only know it's what I heard in the constant roar. Probably one of the strangest things I remember happening to me.

Merle

Merle, you have lived a fabulously interesting life. I am going to try and pull in some tunes tonight, transform the ringing into a melody.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 9:43 pm

Sometimes I hear voices talking like feedback. Like hearing old conversations again or something. If I'm hearing conversations from far away, I never figured it out. I just figured it was another case of my synapsis going haywire.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 9:49 pm

I've had tinnitus since at least 1994, louder in the right than the left. Have always assumed it was the result of acoustic neuromas. My Aspie father went almost totally deaf before his death. He also had a brain tumor near one ear. Mother had Meniere's syndrome, and from it, bad tinnitus (roaring), plus severe attacks of vertigo. Mine is like the highest pitches of the audible spectrum, plus occasional harmonics. Sometimes, one ear will seem to fill up, and all sound goes away temporarily. My one long-time relationship was with a very Aspie computer engineer who also had tinnitus, and it made him crazy (he ended up taking valium for it). We both noticed that the noise became markedly louder if we were consciously aware of it.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 9:50 pm

Make that nine with the tinnitus...I thought it was normal. In the quiet, I realize I have this buzzing sound that really isn't outside of myself.

Lemon, I relate to the memory being more like a file cabinet where we have to look stuff up as opposed to keeping it continually on hand. It seems like a waste of RAM to do that. Back it up, and get out of the way.

Lau, I have the full blown migraine from aura to the pain, or I used to. I maybe get one migraine a year. What you said about the strange images as being a non-translated series of sensory messages makes sense--kind of like when I flip open my phone sometimes and find this weird image that is a sign the dang thing needs a reboot. Maybe migraines are a kind of primitive reboot?

Nanarob--I'm an Auntierob! I was an Unclerob to a young cousin for a while until she realized that Aunt and Uncle were female and male, not short hair and long hair. Or Robby. I'm also a GranAuntieRob, and I'm constantly wrestling my good toys out of my four year old grand niece's hands: "No, you can't have my rubber chicken!" But she also gets good toys from me, like Walter the Farting Dog. She loves him. She switches him on, and hold his noisy bottom up to his mother's face, and yells,"Smell, Mom! Smell!" That's my girl! The books are lousy, but the illos are delightful.

So, the kids are noticing there's some old duffers on WrongPlanet. Heehee. And there's a lot of us. So there we are. I think ZanneMarie is right--we just haven't notice each other.

OHOHOH. Tell me about punishment not working according to some of our NT parents? I beg to differ. It seems today's parents have swung in the complete opposite direction. I, too, had a mother with deadly aim. I learned quick to stay on her good side, though I really had to work at it. The moment she gave me and my sister the Eye, we knew exactly what she was thinking. An Aspie not being able to read facial expressions? Perhaps, but I knew my mother's and exactly what she wanted. I had to know for survival. She once swung at me with such force, that when her thumb hit the doorjam (and therefore saved my four year old back end), she not only broke her thumb, she broke the door jam. There was no such thing as depression in our house, and forbid we got upset about anything. This was blue collar discipline. It was either a belt or her shoe or a switch, and we had to go get each, depending on which one she was in the mood for.

Of course, as y'all know, that sort of activity has its own ramifications: no idea what I felt, depression, paranoia, no self-esteem...on top of the AS. My folks knew I was different, but I guess they thought they could beat it and shame it out of me...

Geez, that was depressing. Screw that. I got stuff to do.

I gotta go, the coffee shop's closing!

Metta

:mrgreen:

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Apr 2007, 10:06 pm

YowlingCat wrote:
I've had tinnitus since at least 1994, louder in the right than the left. Have always assumed it was the result of acoustic neuromas. My Aspie father went almost totally deaf before his death. He also had a brain tumor near one ear. Mother had Meniere's syndrome, and from it, bad tinnitus (roaring), plus severe attacks of vertigo. Mine is like the highest pitches of the audible spectrum, plus occasional harmonics. Sometimes, one ear will seem to fill up, and all sound goes away temporarily. My one long-time relationship was with a very Aspie computer engineer who also had tinnitus, and it made him crazy (he ended up taking valium for it). We both noticed that the noise became markedly louder if we were consciously aware of it.

That makes 10 of us now. Wow, I can relate to so much of your experience with this. Mine is louder in the right ear as well. I also have vertigo. I went to a ENT about ten years ago and after testing he couldn't come up with a diagnosis. I suggested to him that it might be Meniere's disease and he said probably so. He told me to avoid salt. That's about the only advice he gave me. I first noticed it when I returned from a week in New Orleans. I think I picked up a bug on the long train ride there because I had a killer headache throughout my week long stay. My headache would be intense after waking in the morning and then finally subside by mid-day. I don't usually get headaches so this was perplexing. When I got home I began to notice the ringing. I agree that the noise becomes much louder with my awareness of it.

Last edited by cosmiccat on 18 Apr 2007, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 10:07 pm

Rjaye wrote:
Of course, as y'all know, that sort of activity has its own ramifications: no idea what I felt, depression, paranoia, no self-esteem...on top of the AS. My folks knew I was different, but I guess they thought they could beat it and shame it out of me...

Geez, that was depressing. Screw that. I got stuff to do.

I gotta go, the coffee shop's closing!

Metta

:mrgreen:

LOL That's what I love about us! This is why we cope. Instead of a shrink, let's get coffee! Metta left before I could snap my fingers for coffee dude to bring some over. By the way, coffee dude wants to give foot rubs, so you should take advantage of it.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Apr 2007, 10:13 pm

That's 10 with ringing in the ears. PostPaleo, ZanneMarie, CosmicCat, Lau, Hartzofspace, SeriousGirl,Tomart, Sinsboldly, YowlingCat, Rjaye.

Anyone else?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 11:05 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Sometimes I hear voices talking like feedback. Like hearing old conversations again or something. If I'm hearing conversations from far away, I never figured it out. I just figured it was another case of my synapsis going haywire.

oh, it very well might be your synapsis going haywire, :lol: but think about it Zanne, there is cell phone and microwave signals, radio and TV signals, wireless internet and police scanners and what have you zipping right through walls, flesh and right through that stirrup, hammer and anvil we sense audio with! I just happened to isolate the reception to pick out what I was hearing up on the mountian, but with you being so sensitive, you might just be hearing all those electronic conversations!

Merle