The Dino-Aspie Cafe (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 106 of 247 [ 3937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 247  Next

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Apr 2007, 10:10 pm

www.freemosquitoringtones.org

My husband (who does not have "ringing in ears" and I who do, tried listening to these ringtones with the following results:

8Khz Everyone Both heard it very well
10Khz 60 & younger I not at all, he very well
12Khz 50 & younger I not at all, he very well
14.1Khz 49 & younger I fairly well, he very well
14.9Khz 39 & younger I barely, he not at all
15.8Khz 30 & younger Neither heard it at all

Lau, or anyone who understands this stuff, does this mean the ringing in my ears is between 10 and 12 Khz and cancelling out the ringtone of the same frequency?

Lupine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Apr 2007, 11:22 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
www.freemosquitoringtones.org

My husband (who does not have "ringing in ears" and I who do, tried listening to these ringtones with the following results:

8Khz Everyone Both heard it very well
10Khz 60 & younger I not at all, he very well
12Khz 50 & younger I not at all, he very well
14.1Khz 49 & younger I fairly well, he very well
14.9Khz 39 & younger I barely, he not at all
15.8Khz 30 & younger Neither heard it at all

Lau, or anyone who understands this stuff, does this mean the ringing in my ears is between 10 and 12 Khz and cancelling out the ringtone of the same frequency?

At 52 years old, the 14.9 Khz annoys the hell out of me. When I was a child, I could hear a high-frequency sound from televisions and from, of all things, stoplights. Of course no one in my family believed me. So, I convinced my dad to test me: while riding in the car, I would cover my eyes and announce when the car was approaching a stoplight. I was right, every time. The topic was dropped, abruptly (apparently just another data point on the "weird Lupine" chart). Very VERY interesting to me to learn that y'all share some hearing anomalies...

Cosmiccat, I don't know how to answer your question. Your "cancelling out" idea makes sense to me; perhaps more as a "drowning out" of external noise at 10-12 Khz?

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 1:49 am

waiting to know who did this to aspie al

Last edited by lemon on 20 Apr 2007, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 1:51 am

Rjaye wrote:
Lemon, I relate to the memory being more like a file cabinet where we have to look stuff up as opposed to keeping it continually on hand. It seems like a waste of RAM to do that. Back it up, and get out of the way.

it's sounds even more practical with your words

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 2:21 am

SeriousGirl wrote:
That's strange as I have an almost photographic memory starting from about 5. I can run events in my life like videotape.

i store a lot of information in a visual way.
some people say "if you have the picture and you lost something, then look at your picture" that's not how it works for me though, there are so many pictures and visual information stored that i'd need to know more of where to find it, just like in reality you have time and place and a lot of other things interfering.

Beside the video-like scenes, there is also a different system, more like files stored, or little squares containing information (like the months of the year are all squares in a circle like the monypoly game and it has some kind of orientation). some things look more like a lay-out of a paper, maybe it would be interesting to focus more on it to get an overview cause it is all quite unconciously stored, but i think it might be verifiable by focussing.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 2:35 am

Lau wrote:
OK cosmiccat, lets do this more sensibly. Out of the 65 dinos, hands up those who DON'T hear at least a background (fairly indescribable) hiss. ALso, have we all heard of the Mosquito ringtone? I can always hear this, but one of my eight players distorts it so badly that it's easy. It may even be the wrong sound, anyway, as the Wikipedia version of it is totally easy to hear (and seems to be nowhere near the top of my hearing range - which I know goes up rather farther than average).

Interesting, that my players should vary so much. Only my VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/) lets me hear the modulated tones on top of the 17KHz signal. I'm not certain that it's not an artifact. Anyone got the ears, etc, to tell me?

i don't think i have it (and should have noticed it, although silence is very rare in my life, kids, music, people talking (! , if only i'd have a button to make this stop sometimes :wink: ), etc
but i do have a very vivid representation of it, maybe that under circumstances i had a glimps of it
(like after swimming?)

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 2:48 am

ZanneMarie wrote:
I agree with the almost drug type effect. My mind is so visual I can basically do an LSD trip whenever I feel like it. I couldn't really understand why people used drugs when I was younger although it did bring them closer to what I experienced.

You best be careful with that pillow or you won't have to worry about the future.

i've always been tempted to experiment with drugs cause people taking them are often the ones that have observations close to mine, although i've never dared (except for smoking pot which is strong enough for me, and i do have to be carefull with how much , cause if i smoke a little too much i lay down with too much visual and auditive impressions, which is pretty scary -hey i think it's here that i have the ear-thing experienced-)

and i never did the pillow-trick but i am often occupied watching patterns in 'moving air', 'dust on the eye',comparing the images of the left eye and the right one, but also marks on the ceiling (connecting them), etc.

AussieBoy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 3:37 am

I am 8. I bet I'm the oldest here! (Laugh)

AussieBoy

UbbyUbbyUbby
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2007, 3:40 am

ugvijrdhykuyuuhkfgyhjk. That's all!

Note from Smelena (Mum of AussieBoy and UbbyUbbyUbby).

Sorry about my naughty children! They were sneaking in to say hello to NannaRob. We're leaving now.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 5:28 am

Ay-up, postpaleo. Get your pen out. New book to write... "Invasion of the Sub-Eight-Year-Olds", sub-titled "A Tale of Terror in Tyrannosaurus Territory". YowlingCat can do the artwork for the cover - it's a herd(!) of aging dinos, being chased by these two small dots (Fatman and Reuben, maybe?).

--------------

Back to the ringtones.. well found cosmiccat. I grabbed the lot, and am unhappy to say that they play completely randomly on my machine. This means I have a truly awful sound card. It aliases totally at about 11176.5Hz, I'd say, which makes the "tones" above that descend to total silence for the 22357Hz one.

Actually, it's not that simple. It does seem very dependent on exactly which player I use out of my eight, the sound that comes out varies, except that none of them do anything but silence for the 22357Hz tone.

PS. How many beans make five?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 7:47 am

I am completely lost when people get chatting about sound on their computers. blathering on and on about ring tones. you have to have money to be so damned high tech, and I get sad when I watch others zoom around, referring to videos, talking about music and ringtones when some of us are our only means of support and bought a computer for $150.00 off a laundry room bulletin board with no sound. my cell phone cost $20. and has a generic ringtone.

I don't expect anything by posting this, I just want people to understand there are a LOT of folks we never meet in these rooms, that would benefit greatly, but just don't have the financial means to get here. I know I didn't until February! ( I snuck into WrongPlanet on my work computer and got a written warning for it!)

Merle

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 7:49 am

I hope it's me sound card (or lack thereof) but every tone above 14k is silent!! I'll try the test on me work computer and see if the mileage varies.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 8:07 am

sinsboldly wrote:
I am completely lost when people get chatting about sound on their computers. blathering on and on about ring tones. you have to have money to be so damned high tech, and I get sad when I watch others zoom around, referring to videos, talking about music and ringtones when some of us are our only means of support and bought a computer for $150.00 off a laundry room bulletin board with no sound. my cell phone cost $20. and has a generic ringtone.

I don't expect anything by posting this, I just want people to understand there are a LOT of folks we never meet in these rooms, that would benefit greatly, but just don't have the financial means to get here. I know I didn't until February! ( I snuck into WrongPlanet on my work computer and got a written warning for it!)

Merle

It isn't just you. I know I'm spoiled beyond belief and always was. It's more apparent when I'm here, although it's pretty apparent even in the NT world. It causes its own kind of trouble because some NTs think I "don't deserve it" since I'm so "strange" and "don't act like a woman."

I'm sorry you don't have access to the cool computer. Do they still have wired cafes? Maybe someone would let you listen to theirs?

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2007, 8:35 am

sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

I understand this and agree about all the folks who don't have the means to get here. It's a helpful reminder not to take so much for granted. I do not have "money" to the proportion that that phrase implies, but I do have priorities on what I spend my money on. And I do have live-in tech support from my gifted son-in-law who can build computers or take discarded pc's from dumptsters and get them up and running with the help of really good deals he finds on ebay. My present laptop is modest and was modestly priced (under $500. and a total surprise birthday-anniversary-Mothers Day gift combined from my husband who is retired and collects a very modest SS income but knows how important writing and communication is to me and felt the expenditure was well worth it. He told me, after presenting me with it, that I wouldn't be getting anymore biggy-gifts for a while. I'm cool with that. This is funny though, and I hope you won't be offended, but I took you for a "rich girl". I love awakenings. Thanks.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 8:39 am

Don't feel bad, Merle. My computer was given to me by one of the Missus' friends who was upgrading. It's 'only' 1gigahertz, no sound card, no video card, no dvd recorder. Pretty generic stuff ! ! But I can afford high speed access, and that's nice. I tried to 'transplant' a sever chip into it, but I broke the adaptor bit fiddling with it ! ! So it's 'as is' from the factory.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 9:16 am

cosmiccat wrote:
This is funny though, and I hope you won't be offended, but I took you for a "rich girl". I love awakenings. Thanks.

Thank you for the first laugh of the day! I have been up and I have been down, it all depends on who is captianing the ship at the time ( I have dissociative identity 'disorder' the old 'multiple personality' diagnosis) But I have been on my own with no family since I was 17 and life, as they say, can be quite the challenge.

Merle

Last edited by sinsboldly on 20 Apr 2007, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.