Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 7:05 pm

ZenDen wrote:

One more time: If you had a good friend(s) you might lose in moving, would you say it was easier for you than a NT, or only if you had no friend(s)?

Well like I said before, an NT re-locating would likely be leaving a large-circle-of-friends behind, which is why it could be harder for the NT. But then again the NT will probably make more friends fairly easily at the new place he/she lives.

So I suppose it could be overall harder for the autistic person if he/she has a few friends that are being left behind since making new ones often takes a long time for someone with AS. If they weren't close friends the autistic person might not care much either way though. Depends on the circumstances I guess.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 11:57 am

"Depends on the circumstances I guess."

And, as it turns out, circumstances are different for everyone.

In my case the few friends I gained throughout grade school
and beginning high school were lost when we moved and
never replaced in the new urban school system, or college.

I can imagine others sharing my experiences.

If you don't miss your friends perhaps they were merely acquaintances,
because friends care about friends differently than acquaintances.

RedDead
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2014, 4:00 pm

I moved out of my parents house at 19, but I still relied on them for everything. Mostly I was living with boyfriends, but I was on my own for a year after a break up but I only lived a couple of minutes away from my parents and saw my my a few times a week. She did my laundry and paperwork, and I pretty much lived off waffles and cheese on toast.

I moved again a month ago at the age of 27, in with my current boyfriend, and I felt so much anxiety to the build up, I was really stressed and worried things would fall though with the estate agent, and frustrated because my boyfriend was so laid back and wouldn't do what I was asking (asking loads of questions of estate agent etc.) I was surprised how difficult this last move has been...even though I'm still in the same town!
I guess some people can cope better than others at these things, I would suggest trying not to have too many changes in one go if you think you have some issue with change.

I'm more independent now than I have ever been, and sometimes it's tough but overall it feels rewarding to finally feel like a real grown up.