Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

kokochan900
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2015, 9:33 pm

Hello, world!

This is my first post here with this account. (I had visited in the past out of curiosity and suspicion, but left after a while)

I was recently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder after my mother referred me to a psychologist due to a meltdown I had at work.

This leads to my first question topic: I had never had any meltdowns before I started this job, and I am wondering if it is possible to not have meltdowns until adulthood.

I am twenty years old and I started this job when I was eighteen. It was a small business at first, but rapidly grew into a large factory setting. I've always been sensitive to overstimulation, but I was usually able to tolerate it as a child/teenager by withdrawing into my mind, earning me the title "airhead". I feel like this environment has been my first experience that has really sent me over the edge into having a meltdown. Is it common for people to develop symptoms like this at this age? I usually only hear of children on the spectrum having meltdowns, and then sometimes growing out of them, but I on the contrary have grown into them.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 10:08 pm

Well you don't have the support as a young adult that you probably had as a school child. And it sounds like your job was not bad at first but as the company grew it was too much for you to take, in terms of sensory demands. So that could be why you never had meltdowns until this one.

You might need some help finding a job that can work out for you, or some help dealing with job demands. You might consider registering with your vocational rehabilitation service.

The fact that you lasted a couple years there is a plus. It will give you some kind of work history, which is extremely beneficial when it comes to finding the next job.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy contributing to the forum.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 10:52 pm

Ever thought about college?

Hi Bea Arthur: I bet you're like Maude in real life. I've always found her an admirable character. I have the same sort of accent as Maude's husband.

kokochan900
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Dec 2015, 7:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Funny you should say that, I was taking college courses when I first started this job but I ended up withdrawing in order to barely maintain my schedule. It's kind of embarrassing really; the job is pretty lenient on attendance and other coworkers have been able to handle it along with raising kids, second jobs, and their own classes, but I can barely seem to handle it as my only responsibility.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 10:49 am

I hope you get to further your education.

It's good that you're keeping a job. You'll get better as you get older. You're still pretty young.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 11:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Hi Bea Arthur: I bet you're like Maude in real life. I've always found her an admirable character. I have the same sort of accent as Maude's husband.

Oh kraftiekortie, you, you flirt, you. Yes, I'm channeling Maude. I don't even remember her husband's accent, to be honest I remember Bea more for her later role in The Golden Girls. But I do go back to Maude days, full disclosure.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 11:49 am

Her husband had a rather pronounced New York City accent.

Kokochan! You might just get rich!

Tiger Woods introduced himself to the world by saying "Hello World!" He now has a fortune in the hundreds of millions, at least.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 12:06 pm

hi, kokochan. welcome. i don't recall ever having had a meltdown. don't know what it would take for me to have one. anyway, what sorts of things do you enjoy doing?