Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 6:49 am

aylissa wrote:
OMG
I think that may be an aspie thing:
Hearing "We need to talk..." or "Can we sit down..." puts me in utter panic mode.

Or being the one that has to initiate these sorts of things is also panic worthy.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 8:57 am

aylissa wrote:
OMG
I think that may be an aspie thing:
Hearing "We need to talk..." or "Can we sit down..." puts me in utter panic mode.

"We need to talk.." i will immediately translate to "you need to perform a monologue to me"
At which point, i will shut-down and my mind will go elsewhere. Usually the opposite response to what was wanted.
I don't know if i do this on purpose or not :?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 11:20 am

sinsboldly wrote:

and somehow it was implied that _I_ was over reacting because 'this was just for fun!"

I am glad I am not NT, but if I WERE NT, this stuff would not bother me

Merle

I know! They take everything lightly, or better said, change their minds a lot, come on NTs, make your mind!

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 12:05 pm

TRUE, I saw your post here and in the Ex-Cafe (yes, I go to both - can't a man have a gallon of coffee in peace?), and I was wondering (and feel free not to answer, of course) - what is this "other site" that gave you a hassle?

At least I've never been hassled here for posting in many multiple threads, sometimes with things that have nothing to do with the main thrust of the thread... :)

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 5:36 pm

TRUE wrote:
Does anyone have multiple layers of black and white? ...I'm getting to the point where I am starting to label all NTs as "bad".

I guess the black and white is complicated in the ways you mentioned. For me it's like an on/off switch with people and interests. IRL I either think the world of them or I don't ever want to see them again. But yes, it can get turned the other way, but then they screw me over again, and the switch goes back to black. This has happened so many times I would think I wouldn't trust anybody, but I continue to meet people and initially trust them. I wonder how old I'll be before I learn to just stop trusting everybody altogether.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 5:37 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
(yes, I go to both - can't a man have a gallon of coffee in peace?)

I WISH I could do that! I have no idea why I can't be normal, like you.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 5:55 pm

I have a lot of problems in this area as was pointed out by several therapist over the years.

I can not take certain jobs because they would require me to do things I think are "bad".....
sell people things they dont need
lie to people or exclude information that would result in their being mislead

even my current job,it bothers me that we tell the costumers that their pet will get 20min of exercise 2x daily,but if we are busy,the managers will make me take the dogs out of playroom as soon as the go to the bathroom(sometimes 5 min)I think this is wrong and have complained but they wont change it...thats false advertising...it really bothers me.

I stopped being "religious" after I found out religious groups were responsible for burning witches(had a "good witch"obsession in grade school)

A lot of times I can see each side of an arguement but there are specific....right and wrong,things that I am totally rigid about.I think this makes me appear as some what "juvinile" according to the cynical expectations of many in the NT adult populaion.Maybe thats why I got along with teens so well(in my 20's)because I thought they did...the world is not fare and it should be.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 6:32 pm

aylissa wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:
(yes, I go to both - can't a man have a gallon of coffee in peace?)

I WISH I could do that! I have no idea why I can't be normal, like you.

NORMAL?!? :x Them's fightin' words 'round these here parts!!

:)

Really, one of the conclusions my wife came to was that if they ever did find a cure for Asperger's, and I took it, she was gone. She has no interest in being with a "normal" person - they bore her...

Philipwood
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2007, 7:13 pm

To the original poster:

What you are having is not black and white thinking.

You are perseverating your processing in the old context and having trouble initiating the new set of processes. These are not failings but part of your gift (and mine). You need to find another part that counter balances it for these kind of situations.

In my observation NTs are invariably black and white thinkers, and absurdly over-literal. They are not evil (well very few) it is just part of their own mix of gifts and disabilities. NTs waste their abilities on a huge scale and ask for help with their disabilities far too little. To ask for help with your disabilities is to help all society because the benefits radiate out amongst our neighbours inevitably, as we interact. This is what the Learning To Succeed course is about.

We auties and aspies are excellent at seeing areas of grey, as far as I have heard.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2007, 8:59 pm

Philipwood wrote:
To the original poster:

What you are having is not black and white thinking.

You are perseverating your processing in the old context and having trouble initiating the new set of processes. These are not failings but part of your gift (and mine). You need to find another part that counter balances it for these kind of situations.

In my observation NTs are invariably black and white thinkers, and absurdly over-literal. They are not evil (well very few) it is just part of their own mix of gifts and disabilities. NTs waste their abilities on a huge scale and ask for help with their disabilities far too little. To ask for help with your disabilities is to help all society because the benefits radiate out amongst our neighbours inevitably, as we interact. This is what the Learning To Succeed course is about.

We auties and aspies are excellent at seeing areas of grey, as far as I have heard.

What a nice post.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 1:13 am

Philipwood wrote:

but Aspies don't go to the gray areas, NT's do.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 1:43 am

computerlove wrote:
but Aspies don't go to the gray areas, NT's do.

I am purple! I also see grey and gray; blue and you too....

This why I have so much trouble understanding my reality; I try to accept yours and also accept mine at the same time...sometimes this can lead to inner conflict that confounds me and this cannot be suppressed as I try to understand why you think how you do, and since this is impossible – I run into trouble.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 2:34 am

I'm freaking panicing because I can't understand any of what is being discussed. Good/bad? I can understand those terms, but if you go good/evil, neither exist to me, in a philosophical discussion. In a debate I can take either side and win type deal, see both sides of a point? Is it, I can see the good and if I can, I'm locked into everything is bad?

To me everything just "is". I make my value calls on the moment, in real time. If given time to think, I look at things probably from way to many angles, points of view, before I react or don't react at all, because it has gotten over whelming to me.

I'm not following this at all. Probably because I'm not thinking in black and white and it has set up a panic, lol. Or maybe I'm so grey I can't understand black and white thinking. ARGGGHHH!! !

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 10:28 am

sinsboldly wrote:
They had a costume contest at work for Halloween, they would judge on funniest, and scariest
so I spent hours and hours making a huge wearable plastic package of spinach with clear shower curtains and painting the logo and package UPC code etc BACKWARDS so when I put it on it was all smooth on the outside, just like the fresh spinich package ( it was POPEYES fresh spinach and it was PERFECT!

I made 'honorable mention' simply because they decided they didn't want to use the criteria and didn't have the CATAGORIES they advertized for. They just gave it for what the panel thought was the best. I was so bummed because my costume made no sense without 'funniest and most scary ( they had recalled fresh spinach for botulism just weeks earlier)

and somehow it was implied that _I_ was over reacting because 'this was just for fun!"

I am glad I am not NT, but if I WERE NT, this stuff would not bother me

Merle

Hahahaha! AAAAAAAHHHHH!

:)

I love how your mind works, Merle!

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 4:14 pm

Earliest memory of concrete or black/white thinking:
I was taken away from my Dad when I was 3 and had no memories of him at all. When I was 5 my mom remarried, and that's pretty much when my memories begin. One of my earliest memories was of being uncomfortable because they both wanted me to call my new stepdad "daddy" (I cringe just typing that) and I COULD NOT. I knew he was not my father, so how could I call this man 'daddy'? My mouth would not form the word.

There was no grey in there at all. Not my daddy - so couldn't call him daddy.

madscientist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2007, 4:48 pm

Just speaking for myself, I seem to have the opposite of black and white thinking - I see issues as a virtually infinite continuum of possible answers/solutions weighted by their probability. Similar to quantum wave functions. I actually seem to be completely incapable of seeing purely binary choices in most cases. (One of the major problems I had working for the current administration, which represents the definition of "NT black and white thinking")

While this can sometimes make decisions difficult, I think it much better represents reality. Black and White, Good and Evil, Right and Wrong, Beautiful and Ugly are not absolutes but relative concepts. (i.e. the Founding Fathers would probably have been considered terrorists defined in modern terms) At least when it comes to moral relativism and situational ethics, the Jesuits have it right.