Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

elsagirl5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2016, 3:02 pm

I'm diagnosed with Aspergers. I feel like I've never properly grown up, I still love things aimed at younger people like kids tv shows, cartoon characters etc. I feel embarrassed of this, but I find "adult" things really boring and hate anything with violence or fighting which cancels out a lot of things anyway. I just want to enjoy things like Paw Patrol and Princesses and My Little Pony, they make me happy, but people laugh at me

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 3:23 pm

As adults- we should be allowed to like whatever we want, as long as its legal and honestly not something sick.

Cartoons are fun and generally not just for kids, even if people are immature and have to laugh or tease about it. The best thing to do is ignore those people and find people that like your common interests.

elsagirl5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2016, 3:37 pm

The thing is I am in my early twenties so nobody my age likes these things cos they're aimed at kids. I feel ashamed and embarrassed and people laugh at me but I'm denying myself what makes me happy and without anything like that my life feels very depressed

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 3:46 pm

I'm diagnosed with Aspergers. I feel like I've never properly grown up, I still love things aimed at younger people like kids tv shows, cartoon characters etc. I feel embarrassed of this, but I find "adult" things really boring and hate anything with violence or fighting which cancels out a lot of things anyway. I just want to enjoy things like Paw Patrol and Princesses and My Little Pony, they make me happy, but people laugh at me

I think it is immature to put others down for what they watch. It is for a trivial and silly reason after all.

Well by your logic wouldn't an adult who watches South Park be considered immature, for laughing at its crazily offensive humour.

What about someone who watches an action film. Isn't it a little immature to watch people commit violence and still enjoy the experience?

How is what you do any different.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 6:01 pm

elsagirl5 wrote:
The thing is I am in my early twenties so nobody my age likes these things cos they're aimed at kids. I feel ashamed and embarrassed and people laugh at me but I'm denying myself what makes me happy and without anything like that my life feels very depressed

Lots of adults enjoy cartoons! I personally don't like the ones you mentioned but I do enjoy cartoons such as Bob's Burgers, Rocko's Modern Life and a few others.

I'm sorry you feel ashamed and embarrassed. Those people are mean and shouldn't be judging like that.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 6:21 am

OK....I am 56. I am about the maturity of a 14 year old in a lot of cases and as low as ten in a few. This would be emotional and social maturity.

But, damn...cartoons is a mark of maturity? huh......

It's kinda hard for me to relate because in my day, all things that are cool now (anime, comic books, cartoons, being a nerd, etc) were the kiss of death in my day. And, I still did those things with glee.

You like what you like. There is nothing wrong with what you like in these terms. And, it is not a maturity problem because it does not affect others.

And, who cares? Kids like Ice Cream. Ice Cream is a kiddie thing. So.....no ice cream over a certain age?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 11:53 pm

Be true to yourself. If someone can't accept you for who you are, you don't need them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 1:38 am

blackicmenace wrote:
Be true to yourself. If someone can't accept you for who you are, you don't need them.

I like your signature

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 4:35 am

Just be yourself :) Dont worry about social stigma! As i have observed many adults feel through social pressure to act a certain way at a certain age. However i think we are all children at heart. If you notice with families that as soon as a a parent has a child they can take to the park, the farther will look for any excuse to join in! ;) For example.. A father takes their son/daughter to the water park and spends more time on the slides than the kids!... Child wants to make a go kart, father takes over project and uses cart more than child and inevitably hurts himself! I think it is something we have been taught in later school life that many subconsciously fall for, but when they/we get the chance we will take it by the horns! :) ... Children are a good excuse to bring out the inner child in an adult... So dont worry! Nothing in itself is 'childish' only your perspective ;)

I am 40 and dont feel much older than my late twenties, many maturer adults will say the same, even with conversations with people my own age i often notice the inner child coming out in conversations with all people... Its an artificial social programming... Be you! be who YOU want to be in life!... Often if people were to look at you funnily , its only because they are envious and want to express themselves in the same way but feel they cant, but there is nothing stopping them, only artificial social pressure and programming...

I felt this way fro a long time but realized over time many people of all ages were engaging in things that could be perceived as 'childish' , the reality is we are all kids at heart, some have just overcome the social stigma to truly be who they really are without worry of what others may think.. If it makes you happy and it doesn't hurt anyone or anything then go for it!! !! ! :)

Even Johnny Depp collects barbies! ;)

noumenon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2016, 8:10 am

I think that can be quite adorable in adult women, you just gotta meet the right people that will be accepting of it. A lot of people can be uptight about this sort of thing, but whatever. I see jealousy in their soul when they want to criticize such a thing.