Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2017, 1:32 pm

I'm 2.5 years shy of 30 but maybe everyone can help me out. I'm having a recurring issue with inconsiderate neighbors affecting my ability to live independently. I've been independent for about 2 years now. Noise is the only issue, being on government housing and only being able to live on lower levels because of seizures I get to live under huge crack head families and entitled baby making machines. I have attempted suicide because of the stress from the noise. What are my legal rights if any being autistic and sensitive to extreme noise?. I'm not asking for anything special, so it pisses when they start with all the special needs s**t. I just want to be able to read a book every now and then. I have moved 4 times in these 2 years and am starting to feel like I can't handle this pace with the fact that I have to adapt to new spaces every time.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 2:04 pm

As far as I know, the only legal rights you have is the right to rent places like everyone else--they can't deny a renting a place to you because of your autism.

Some people use hearing protectors.
3M Peltor Optime 98 Earmuff
This one is cheap and effective. I got mine from Amazon.com

There are also devices with active circuitry that are even more effective.
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=293051

I know you are talking about housing and not employment, but the ADA does not help in noise issues.
https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showth ... p?t=177527

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2017, 3:58 pm

Thanks, I use Surefire's EP3's with a white noise machine.

They woke me up at 2 am with 33db earplugs in, through the white noise machine and the television. I can't hear what they're saying on the TV because of them so I end up watching foreign shows all the time.This is my apartment, I have to bike on the highway, go into loud stores etc then come home to basketball and screaming toddlers upstairs. The constant nature is what's stressing me out. There is a law about right to peace in your own home. I'm going with that for now. Hopefully I can find an apartment that doesn't act like a guitar cabinet lol. I need to be able to rest to function. Once my rest is taken everything else falls apart. The second I bring up autism they assume my desire for peace is a special needs issue. It kinda is because I'm more likely to kill myself over it than someone else, but I'm just asking for normal neighbors that don't live like they're the only people in the entire complex.

Incendax
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2017, 8:23 pm

Most states have noise laws after a certain time of night. If they are genuinely extremely loud, find out the noise laws in your state and then call the police on the non-emergency number after the designated time. You will probably have to do this MULTIPLE times before your neighbors develop a habit of being quieter.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 8:32 pm

True, there may actually be applicable noise laws for your town. But, I think we are talking about section 8 housing and the fact that police don't like to come out for domestic disputes. A lot of police get killed in domestic disputes.

And, if they do come out, the officer will want to talk to both parties. It is a fact that people on the spectrum have difficulty communicating with police officers. This may not end well.

On the other hand, I know a guy who bought actually bought a crack house because it was the only thing he could afford. I think he got a special number to call if any of the former customers came back to cause any problems so the police could come out instantly.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 4:18 pm

You could try putting insulated ceiling panels up, and insulated panels on the doors, too, if the landlord allows that, and putting insulated drapes on the windows, but that's not likely to help enough. While it's true that the laws generally prohibit loud noise past a certain hour at night, if you keep reporting your obnoxious neighbors to the police, they may eventually try to get even with you for bringing the police down on them, so that really isn't a healthy choice. How about renting a trailer somewhere. It may not be in the quietest neighborhood, but at least you won't have an overhead noisy neighbor. I live in a mostly quiet trailer park, in a trailer bought for me by my parents. Because it is next to the school the management here has to keep things safe and mostly quiet, otherwise, the owners of the trailer park would be hassled by the police. See if you can find a trailer park, and if Social Services will let you put your housing assistance money toward renting a trailer, instead of an apartment.

Hope that helps.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2017, 4:58 pm

All of these replies do help. Too bad the trailer parks are ridiculously trashy and expensive around here. I thought about that, shoot I'd live the rest of my life in a trailer or RV if I could. Fortunately the local noise curfew has a clause for reasonable rights to enjoy the apartment that goes for all hours. Since my landlord is prejudiced and focused on making a big deal out of my disability I went over her head to the property management with a complaint. We'll see how it goes. Cops are cool around here. They're always on the property anyway. Worst case scenario I have to leave all day and use the place as a safe place to sleep only, which is what I'm doing right now even though it's winter. It will be easier to deal with in Summer and this is is still better than homelessness. It's just asinine because I have like twenty neighbors and one family is disrupting the whole f****n' building. They've pissed off the lady next to them as well, and even had the nerve to call the cops on her for noise.

Will update later

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 7:51 pm

I have the same problem. I think the key is to avoid living around people of the lower classes. I've found poor people to be louder and less considerate than non-poor people. Of course, money isn't the issue, but low social class and low economic class tend to go hand-in-hand.

The problem is finding someone to rent you an affordable apartment in a better area when you have subsidized housing. My housing voucher came with a social worker; if you can get someone like that to help you search for housing and advocate for you with landlords, that may help.

Also, check out disability-specific housing. It may be quieter and your neighbors there may be more understanding. Take advantage of rental protection for disabled tenants if you have to; it's better than going insane, isn't it? If your neighbors aren't making enough noise to bother a typical person, your disability is the only thing (that I can think of) that you can use to justify your need for quiet.

The next time you move, check out the complex and neighborhood at a few different times of day to see how loud it is.