Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 3:09 pm

Should we write our own obituaries, if so how would you write yours ?

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/s ... 407818&c=1

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 4:05 pm

I have written my own obit and it is not as morbid as you think. Most obits contain errors because they are written using 2nd hand information from people who are grieving. If you write out your own, you know it will be accurate (except for certain things such as date of death which you cannot do in advance unless you are looking to commit suicide) and the person simply has to hand it over to the newspaper.

My obit is part of a document that expresses my funeral and burial wishes. Again, this is a help on the family because they will not have to make any decisions while grieving. The decisions have already been made for them.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 6:08 pm

I'm not worried about an obit, since few people read newspapers anymore and I'm far from famous enough to warrant an obit on television.

I am however, still trying to trim my eulogy down from the original 350 pages, to a more readable 4. :D

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 10:02 pm

I am assuming that this will somehow outlive me in some way and will be viewed by my progeny, or so I hope.

If I failed it is my failure and not yours.
Please know that I tried real hard.
As for your future my only advise is:

Before you make a decision appreciate it’s consequences.