Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 3:59 pm

I love montana; born and raised here, but it doesn't like me. I have asthma and 40 below does not make for good bronchial health. I am usually housebound 6-8 weeks out of the year. Nebulizer, steroids, the whole spiel. Sucks... It wouldn't be so bad, but I have stock to feed, and when it is cold is when they really need me out there. Plus if something goes wrong in that weather, I'm really up a creek.

So, we decide to move to a climate I do better in (humid, warm, and sea level). My husband gets a great job offer. The pay is awesome, but it was a long way away (SC), but we were working on getting things squared away to go. We hadn't quite figured out if we could afford that move, (so we hadn't committed yet) when his job here makes him an even better offer to stay.

So now...

Don't move=winter wheeze, but better off financially.

Or

Move=healthier, but big change (scary) and less money.

Sorry if TMI but I'm in a quandry. Need to vent. Any advice would be great.

-Walt Whitman

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2008, 4:10 pm

Maybe, during the part of the year when you have the most problems you could use some of that extra money to hire someone to perform your duties. Sounds like anyhelp during that time would be worth it even if the amount of time being affected is reduced down to 2-4 weeks. Just a thought.

I live in the Southeast and the cost of living in most places is not that bad compared to the other side of the Miss. River. One thing you may not have thought about are allergies and how the move may affect them.

Good Luck

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 8:04 pm

Make sure you go visit the new place and check out the cost of living there. Around here, a lot of people come here and don't realize how expensive it is to live here. Where I live, land sells for about $80K per acre. That's down from about $150K a few years ago. So if someone sold their home in Utah for $150K and came here, the best they could get for that would be a run down shack in the ghetto.

Also, businesses these days have no problem hiring someone just to lay them off a few months later. Honestly, stability is more important than pay. If you have stability where you are at, then that needs to take priority in your decision.

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 9:24 pm

n4mwd wrote:
Make sure you go visit the new place and check out the cost of living there. Around here, a lot of people come here and don't realize how expensive it is to live here. Where I live, land sells for about $80K per acre. That's down from about $150K a few years ago. So if someone sold their home in Utah for $150K and came here, the best they could get for that would be a run down shack in the ghetto.

Also, businesses these days have no problem hiring someone just to lay them off a few months later. Honestly, stability is more important than pay. If you have stability where you are at, then that needs to take priority in your decision.

Good advice. My husband spent four days down there checking it out. We have done alot of research. Cost of living is just a hair less.

$150K per acre. Wow. 8O

-Walt Whitman

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 4:38 pm

Wow, that's expensive. 8O You can buy half of the town, for $150K, in my area.

Those who know, don't speak.

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 7:42 pm

Well, in case anyone was wondering we did decide to stay put. The advice about possible hiring some one in the winter is good. We will probably be doing that. It will be kind of spot checking though, so probably a high school kid who needs some cash.

Thanks everyone who posted. Good points and good advice. :)

-Walt Whitman