does anyone else with a.s. feel that life has been a waste?

Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 9:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Honestly, I feel like a nice, scenic environment can really "change" a person at times. I really wasn't too affected by the "niceness" of my environment when I was growing up, though, it must be said. When I retire, I'm probably going to move to a place much more rural than where I am now.

would you move out west?

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 9:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Honestly, I feel like a nice, scenic environment can really "change" a person at times.

I really wasn't too affected by the "niceness" of my environment when I was growing up, though, it must be said.

When I retire, I'm probably going to move to a place much more rural than where I am now.

I want to start a new thread speculating on nice places you could retire, images to accompany everyone's suggestions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 9:53 pm

That would be a nice thread :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 9:54 pm

I wouldn't mind, actually, living in Coos Bay, Eureka (CA), or some place like that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 9:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wouldn't mind, actually, living in Coos Bay, Eureka (CA), or some place like that.

mind you, california in general is a pretty expensive place to live. oregon somewhat cheaper.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:06 pm

I’ve seen rentals in Eureka in the 700s.

I like its climate. Many people don’t.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’ve seen rentals in Eureka in the 700s. I like its climate. Many people don’t.

consider the part of town. seattle boosters like to mislead out of towners by saying, "seattle is so affordable, we have apartments for as little as $1500/month" [not mentioning income requirements/first and last month's deposit etc.] and not mentioning those apartments are in pretty hairy parts of town.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:21 pm

You can get a decent 1 bedroom in a decent part of Queens for $1,500 a month.

The commute would probably be pretty long, though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You can get a decent 1 bedroom in a decent part of Queens for $1,500 a month. The commute would probably be pretty long, though.

how much would a rent-controlled unit be?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:24 pm

Maybe that. Maybe a little less

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:29 pm

^^^that is about 10 times what i could conceivably afford. that is how much rent i hadda pay back in '82.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:31 pm

I paid $300 a month in Brooklyn in 1982.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:32 pm

damned internet congestion in my neck o' the woods wouldn't let me fix my post, i meant to say i paid $150/month back in '82, in a somewhat seedy part of town.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:37 pm

auntblabby wrote:
damned internet congestion in my neck o' the woods wouldn't let me fix my post, i meant to say i paid $150/month back in '82, in a somewhat seedy part of town.

imagine if u had no morals and were involved in arms dealings, progressing in it
you would be rich--respected therefore, as thats how the world works..
and have apartments not for rent, but OWNed..
but idk how such people are punished for knowingly actively contributing to horrible things... they just seem to be fine, most evil people (with brains enough to be evil in a legal way), get everything in life that other people struggle for (e.g. a home to live in)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:48 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

imagine if u had no morals and were involved in arms dealings, progressing in it you would be rich--respected therefore, as thats how the world works.. and have apartments not for rent, but OWNed..but idk how such people are punished for knowingly actively contributing to horrible things... they just seem to be fine, most evil people (with brains enough to be evil in a legal way), get everything in life that other people struggle for (e.g. a home to live in)

in an earlier era, we'd say that such lucky folk had sold their souls to the devil in exchange for a life of ease.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 11:07 pm

Yeah but what's the consequence? At least there was the sense of being ostracized (if it became common knowledge), shame, etc. If anyone was known to be rich by dishonest means, a 'legal crook' , a scammer, arms dealer, etc.

Now there's none of that, in fact, such people are celebrated and/or nobody cares where/how the money came from, they just elevate the person without any qualms or disgust.

Maybe envied for being able to 'rise to the top', seeking more and more wealth, no matter what. Ruthlessly.
(not saying most people with $$ are immoral or acquired it in this way, this is for comparison)

Arguably, in the moral sense, as well as what they contribute to society--their life is a waste. Not just zero, t it is in the minuses (-1000000, or however much devastation they caused innocents)

However, as per this thread, someone already born with impairments, sensitivities, obstacles,
and having suffered as a result, has a wasted life. But much of it they have no control over.

Being on welfare or disability benefits, however, is sniggered at. It's looked down on, often. It's seen as laziness, 'sissy' etc, without reason. ( as per people i've heard).

Wouldn't that disparity, reflect society's overall misguided response-- valuing money and power above all--
to the point of turning a blind eye, virtually, to the enablers/benefactors and beneficaries, of conflict/mass murder around the world?