Why is masturbation considered to be a "grave sin"?

Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 6:10 am

Borromeo wrote:
Max E., speaking from a Catholic perspective I can say that is dead wrong; we're not a racial religion and were founded on diversity by Jesus Christ, who after rejection by the Jewish people (they talked Pilate into crucifying him, for goodness' sakes; and we think our rejection is pretty tough!) Christianity was preached to both Jews and Gentiles alike. And the Gentiles are actually the rest of humanity so we're all in that boat.

My point was that prohibition of masturbation had its origin with racial religions. Catholics hold much of early Jewish scripture sacred and I think it forms the basis of the prohibition, although official Catholic teaching was promulgated much later and (as I tried to suggest without going into too much detail) is not purely racially motivated.

I should also point out that modern-day Judaism didn't really develop until AFTER the fall of the 2nd temple, so you would also find much in later Jewish teachings (on which Orthodox Judaism is mostly based) to rebut my opening argument, if that was what you wanted to do.

Cavycat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2020, 11:50 pm

My guess is that it's because it doesn't result in pregnancy. In the past, non-vaginal hetero sex was banned by the Catholic Church.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 12:13 am

Cavycat wrote:
My guess is that it's because it doesn't result in pregnancy. In the past, non-vaginal hetero sex was banned by the Catholic Church.

Technically it still is banned by the Catholic Church but the church has undergone so much turmoil people forgot that some things don't change.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2020, 6:36 pm

Archaic superstition.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2020, 11:37 am

I guess that subject somewhat left me in the dark.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 4:29 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Hmmmm…

......Its all based either on misinterpretation of the Onan story (Onan was ordered by god to knock up his sister in law, ....

One wonders if the gods have social services, as this one merits a report for that sort of behaviour towards those who call him "Father"

Partly humourous thought