I'm not sure, maybe 27%  27%  [ 7 ]
Yes, I have 1 autoimmune condition 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
Yes, I have more than 1 autoimmune condition 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 26

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 7:53 pm

I'm putting this in the adult life discussion instead of the health page because some of these conditions may go undiagnosed until mid-life, if they're not too severe. So I'm mainly seeking input from the over 30s.

Out of interest, I wondered how many of us have an auto-immune condition?
This might include things like: Type 1 diabetes, inflammatory arthritis, multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus, thyroid diseases such as Graves and Hashimotos, inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohns and ulcerative colitis, and many, many more.

Feel free to elaborate and educate us on your condition if you wish :idea:
Or vote anonymously if you prefer 8)

(p.s. I voted "maybe" because I suspect I have rheumatoid arthritis but am not diagnosed).

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 12:47 am

Two or three times my body has mimicked multiple sclerosis well enough that I was sent for MRIs (and not at my suggestion), but nothing ever showed up. So evidently I do not. My NT brother has severe Chron’s that came on suddenly last year.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 1:11 am

Unknown.
Diabetes runs in my father's side of my family. It is unknown when if I have it and yet to be triggered or never will.

I won't be surprised if I turned out to have an undiagnosed hormone related issue.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 1:19 am

I have psoriasis.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 6:25 am

I've had Sjogren's Syndrome for as long as I can remember...possibly triggered by chicken pox?

It's possible that I have more than one, especially now that I have Long Haul Covid, but I just voted for "one".

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 7:03 am

Yup, IBD. Got diagnosed in late 2019 and got it under control, but now it's acting up again. :?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 8:22 pm

No, but I have asthma and allergies, which share the theme of "immune system attacking things it shouldn't". At least it's not my own body, but harmless environmental things.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 10:15 pm

Chronic Urticaria, I'm on Cyclosporine and a fistful of other meds for it as well. My skin burns, itches, stings and crawls, not to mention actual hives themselves too.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 10:36 pm

My daughter has Lupus Nephritis and she's on the spectrum.

I'm quite sure I also have some type of auto-immune issue. I have a complicated medical history but no definite diagnosis of anything autoimmune. I was tested for Graves and MS, and I did one ANA test which was in the questionable range, but they didn't retest.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2021, 6:38 pm

I don't have any diagnosis, but I believe I have developed a either a histamine intolerance or some other problem involving intestinal mast cells being overly active. For over a decade I've been crippled by unexplained fatigue and depression that always seems worse after meals. Now I've also had two rather severe reactions.

The last one occurred after eating rotisserie chicken that probably sat out a little too long. I felt awful with sudden diarrhea, vomiting, itching, and dizziness. I couldn't even stand or walk then passed out twice from low blood pressure.

I have mild eczema too. Get occasional itchy blisters on my hands and always have some kind of rash around my ankles that looks like insect bites.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2021, 6:47 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I've had Sjogren's Syndrome for as long as I can remember...possibly triggered by chicken pox?

It's possible that I have more than one, especially now that I have Long Haul Covid, but I just voted for "one".

I had very mild covid that felt like a cold... but now I have long haul GI crap going on. It's like IBS, but I also get these itching attacks along with having to run to the toilet. It was not this bad before covid.