Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Wreckferret
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Nov 2007, 10:23 pm

Ok so i'm new to all of this having stumbled accross AS by accident as my friends son was just diagnosed, now at the age of 28 turns out there may be a reason i've been a freak my whole life :)

Looking at stimming threads on the site some of them seem very familier, others not so: I play with my beard (and my hair in general, twisting and snapping/pulling out), i stick my tongue out when i'm concentrating (which my wife thinks is cute 8O ), i twirl my ring (usually when i'm teaching\presenting to groups or otherwise very stressed), i take pens apart, i destroy erasers (snapping, tearing, cutting), i put EVERYTHING in my mouth (i once ate all the buttons on a tv remote, i was 22, my wife didnt think that was so cute!!), i will eat all the caramel off a twix, then the chocolate off the biscuit, then the biscuit, i will eat any mixed colour sweets (skittles etc) in strict colour order (seriously, dont mess with me on this :twisted: )... i could go on but i'll get to my point which is...

What makes a stim a stim? when is it just a habit? is that the same thing? is my coloured sweet thing more of a compulsion than a stim? is that the same thing? (red is ALWAYS last btw, regardless of type of sweet)

Thoughts?

Mike

ps just caught myself rocking :roll:

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 11:51 pm

Good question!

Welcome :)

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Nov 2007, 9:53 pm

If it's stimulating (hence the name), it's a stim. Of course, conditions apply, and they are usually considered abnormal behaviour.

If anyone has a better answer, I'd like to hear it.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 3:14 pm

The hair pulling/twisting could be a stim. However the Skittles thing and eating buttons off a remote control are not stimming. Stimming doesn't mean doing something weird. A stim is a self calming mechanism that is done repeatively. Stimming is usually rocking, spinning, playing with hair, hand flapping, tapping foot, jiggling leg...that sort of thing.

Eating the remote control buttons sounds like Pica. Eatting Skittles in order of colors is a symptom of OCD.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 5:48 am

Ticker wrote:
The hair pulling/twisting could be a stim. However the Skittles thing and eating buttons off a remote control are not stimming. Stimming doesn't mean doing something weird. A stim is a self calming mechanism that is done repeatively. Stimming is usually rocking, spinning, playing with hair, hand flapping, tapping foot, jiggling leg...that sort of thing.

Eating the remote control buttons sounds like Pica. Eatting Skittles in order of colors is a symptom of OCD.

I suppose eating buttons could be a stim, wouldn't you think? Depends on the reason. Maybe they were those soft rubbery remote buttons, which (and don't ask me how I know) might feel really satisfying or stimulating to feel between your teeth. Just a thought. I just don't want to see stimming narrowly defined as some kind of repetitive physical movement like eye rolling/hand flapping/finger tapping.