Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 1:47 am

So why is it I see articals saying zeroing on people who dont intereact with neighbors, and are loners are the ones that parents have to be scared of.....
You know just beacause I dont want to engae in meanless gossip that I have to dumb my self down to do dosnt mean Im the unibomber or wanting to snatch someones kid.
Parentys should warn their children gainst strangers period....not zering on the ones that live off by themselves as evil. And get to know the people their Children Interact with. That way no one gets pointed as bad, and people who dont have anything to do with their child, dont get their lives pride in to.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 4:11 am

in terms of crime, it's most often the family or someone known to the family.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 6:46 am

Methinks, The cultural loner-phobia probably started with the Columbine Massacre.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 10:44 am

I think people have been wary of loners since time and memorial. We're supposed to be social creatures and anything that deviates from that norm is seen as unnatural or suspicious. Again, just people with their fear of difference and non-conformity.

The person has something to hide. A sinister motive? Maybe they have some major flaw in their personality. The person might have a superiority complex and refuse to mingle because of it. The individual's asocial behaviour suggests some difference or resistance to a larger group mentality.

The media's habit of associating the preferance to one's own company to serial murder doesn't help either. I don't think it's the deep seated reason for it, but it doesn't help matters. :evil: :lol:

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 12:43 pm

ValMikeSmith wrote:
Methinks, The cultural loner-phobia probably started with the Columbine Massacre.
Makes sense.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 11:46 am

It probably is true to say that bullying in all its forms comes down to conformity. I have been looking at some of the lectures given at the National Autistic Society conference in 2008 in the UK. One was about bullying of mainstream secondary school students with Asperger Syndrome.

This lecture told of how perhaps bullies bully to make others conform and are supported by social groups which value
cohesion. How bullies gain social acceptance by enforcing social conformity. I hope that isn't a tacit support of bullying.

The same probably applies to bullying in any setting, including in neighbourhoods. Which can be a particularly traumatic type of bullying since you have to live like that in a place. It probably is about perceived nonconformity.

I keep bringing up Asperger or autism specific housing complexes as solutions to the vulnerability that might be faced by the independent adult Aspie when living in communities. Since Asperger's is in many ways an education thing, in that most people don't know a lot about it, another thing that's come to my mind is education in schools about disabilities including AS. Educating kids that for example single men, for goodness sake, are not necessarily paedophiles.

The independent adult Aspie would have had a heck of a time in ancient Rome. Bachelors had to pay the aes uxorium, which was a tax upon bachelors. It was seen as antisocial not to marry and have kids, because people weren't producing population for war etc. Too many people are still stuck in a similar attitude today. And it's concerning because empires such as ancient Rome have been partcularly influential on our modern, western world.

All I can say is, celebrate your individuality and uniqueness and as they say, don't let the bastards grind you down.

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2009, 6:56 pm

ValMikeSmith wrote:

It started way before that. A lot of the witch burning singled out those who lived on the margins.

Quote:
This lecture told of how perhaps bullies bully to make others conform and are supported by social groups which value
cohesion. How bullies gain social acceptance by enforcing social conformity. I hope that isn't a tacit support of bullying.

Interesting perspective, I've never heard that before. An informative post overall, makes scanning through all the chaff worth it ;)

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 1:46 am

Keeno wrote:
It probably is true to say that bullying in all its forms comes down to conformity. I have been looking at some of the lectures given at the National Autistic Society conference in 2008 in the UK. One was about bullying of mainstream secondary school students with Asperger Syndrome.

The same probably applies to bullying in any setting, including in neighbourhoods. Which can be a particularly traumatic type of bullying since you have to live like that in a place. It probably is about perceived nonconformity.

I keep bringing up Asperger or autism specific housing complexes as solutions to the vulnerability that might be faced by the independent adult Aspie when living in communities. Since Asperger's is in many ways an education thing, in that most people don't know a lot about it, another thing that's come to my mind is education in schools about disabilities including AS. Educating kids that for example single men, for goodness sake, are not necessarily paedophiles.

IOt should stop, its abuse plain and simple.

The independent adult Aspie would have had a heck of a time in ancient Rome. Bachelors had to pay the aes uxorium, which was a tax upon bachelors. It was seen as antisocial not to marry and have kids, because people weren't producing population for war etc. Too many people are still stuck in a similar attitude today. And it's concerning because empires such as ancient Rome have been partcularly influential on our modern, western world.

All I can say is, celebrate your individuality and uniqueness and as they say, don't let the bastards grind you down.

BlackjackGabbiani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2009, 2:18 am

I think it depends on which "media" you're talking about. On shows, movies, books, comics, games, etc, the loners can just as equally be badass heroes or good-hearted nerds as they can be psycho bad guys.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 2:25 am

BlackjackGabbiani wrote:
I think it depends on which "media" you're talking about. On shows, movies, books, comics, games, etc, the loners can just as equally be badass heroes or good-hearted nerds as they can be psycho bad guys.

SO called "respectable news and columns"

smartguy47
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2009, 9:15 am

Postperson wrote:
in terms of crime, it's most often the family or someone known to the family.

Agreed.

Paternalism is live and well in liberal circles, i.e. Autism Speaks. They are always trying to "protect" a "disadvantaged" group. Every time they try to help, though, they create generations of poverty and learned helplessness. I like and preach about individual responsibility and integrity as being tools for success. I also like to preach about equality and fair play. I think that joking is fine if it promotes the well-being of a group or causes a group to realize that they should behave in a particular way or that certain actions are deemed unacceptable even if rituals with a particular group. It is the sorts of ways that you shouldn't behave. I think that groups that are always seeking political correctness, like Autism Speaks, have a hidden agenda and play on the pity of parents who are having trouble with their kids, but not trying to get under the root of the problem or on how to succeed with this disorder. I think there are many ways in which the AS individual can choose to or not to adapt and in which settings they need to or can go without adapting. As we all learn in 2nd grade, there is a time and a place for everything.

AC132
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2009, 11:43 am

Keeno wrote:
It probably is true to say that bullying in all its forms comes down to conformity...

cohesion. How bullies gain social acceptance by enforcing social conformity.

Fascinating. This seems plausible. Often the victim is the one who seems to end up with the blame and the stigma, it's they that are moved class or school, not the bully. The "weird" one is seen as the problem, not the bullying behaviour.

It brings to mind a documentary on lions I saw years ago. It stuck in my mind because one of the lionesses was "different", she didn't behave normally within her society and she was shunned to the margins of the pride, scratching a living mostly by herself. It was distressing to see. It felt familiar.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 9:31 pm

still a crime and illegle

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:04 pm

Why not just talk to him and understand him, before deciding on anything?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:08 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
Why not just talk to him and understand him, before deciding on anything?

yah that works....

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 11:13 pm

Although I admit, that's lame!