Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MisterCosgrove
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2013, 8:53 pm

I'm doing a theoretical project on the Autism movement. This is mostly for HFA/AS because of the unemployment and more severe nature otherwise, so I was wondering what things can be theoretically like if people with HFA/AS gained powerful positions in the media (either mainstream or other). What are your ideas?

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 10:46 pm

MisterCosgrove wrote:
I'm doing a theoretical project on the Autism movement. This is mostly for HFA/AS because of the unemployment and more severe nature otherwise, so I was wondering what things can be theoretically like if people with HFA/AS gained powerful positions in the media (either mainstream or other). What are your ideas?

First off, please don't leave out those who, at least, may appear to be low-functioning at first glance. The need for more accommodation shouldn't have to stop people from working...but, often, it does, because of the prejudice of everyone else. I know you didn't mean to be prejudiced, I just want to include everyone who is capable working in the media in this conversation.

If autistic people gained powerful positions in the media, they would probably be a little more mindful of disability issues. I'm not sure if much else would change.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2013, 12:39 am

I would make people say what they mean to say.I would make it mandatory for newscasters to know what they are talking about to speak truth . Other than that I would run like every other person.

Maybe get rid of lifetime...and bravo....and tell history channel to start showing things related to history again :roll:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 7:21 am

they would likely focus on the facts more and put less emphasis on opinion.which is the media's job but the power of persuation tempts most into spouting out endless irelevent opinions

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 7:44 pm

I think we would do a better job at following up on stories, like the top-heavy banks which were part of the financial crash and resulting recession back in Sept. 2008. At the time, the situation was described unfavorably as banks "too big to fail," and was viewed as a stupid and dangerous and unnecessary situation, but people now seem to have largely forgotten about this.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 8:03 pm

I don't think that's possible even for the very "high functioning". Aspies are just not the type. That field has way too much emphasis on social nonsense. If it did happen, though, NTs would probably find the result incomprehensible (or at least difficult to watch/read)... :lol:

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2013, 7:31 am

I'm concerned about the lack of coverage of AS in the technical media for engineering and computing apart from a handful of articles about computer hackers.

MDShinobi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2013, 5:06 am

emimeni wrote:
If autistic people gained powerful positions in the media, they would probably be a little more mindful of disability issues. I'm not sure if much else would change.

I disagree; because autism generally comes with auditory processing and heightened sensory input, because their entire reality is perceived differently - and they connect things in a different way, creating unique opinions and perspectives. I think the perspectives of autistics, and those of neurotypicals, are two sides of the same coin.

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

One thing I'm near certain would change is the focus on trivial minutiae in regards to the personal lives of celebrities. Of course, those same celebrities would still have access to things like Twitter, so it probably wouldn't completely go away.

Otherwise, I agree that not much else would change, but not for the same reasons that others seem to be claiming. Our audience would still be NTs, after all, and we would have to appeal to them in order to earn revenue. Supply and demand and all that.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2013, 11:27 am

I know that I'd make the news a lot more truthful and only show things of actual importance. So no pointless celebrity nonsense, for starters.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 11:44 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I think we would do a better job at following up on stories, like the top-heavy banks which were part of the financial crash and resulting recession back in Sept. 2008. At the time, the situation was described unfavorably as banks "too big to fail," and was viewed as a stupid and dangerous and unnecessary situation, but people now seem to have largely forgotten about this.
Too big to fail does not properly describe them as it matters how a bank fails more than if it fails.

Also people do seem to forget about these things too easily.