Im writing a script about a person with Aspergers-PLEASEREAD

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DecafeMan
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2013, 11:16 am

Hello

I'm an aspiring screenwriter with two scripts completed. I have been writing about a person with Aspergers and ADHD. Mainly the movie is with my experience of having Aspergers, but now looking back, I think collecting other people's experiences would be helpful.

So, my movie is called "The State of the Human Mind". The reason being, is my main character is obsessed with Physcology. So the title is fitting, and I like it as well.

Synopsis: Derek Eastlake, is a 27 year old Social Worker with Aspergers and ADHD, living in the heart of Downtown Toronto. At his new school, Derek finds himself in a struggle with himself, two other students of his, a villainous teacher and the return of his brother.

Now, a Social Worker. Some might be confused. Well, we know some people with Aspergers can talk with people younger than them right, well, my character is like that. I know about Aspergers being turned into ASD by level, so I'm thinking my story can take place before 2013. The think is, I dunno if my script portrays Aspergers properly (ADHD isn't even potrayed, it's just mentioned). You have to see for yourself. Also, I don't really show my character having sensory issues and I barley show his obssession. But I'm going to write the scenes in. The script is at at a 103 pages (I know, I just pour everything I got on this thing).

Right now, I'm doing a rewrite, but if anyone wants, I can send you a older draft. Also if you can PM or post your experiences, It may be helpful to me.

P.S. I posted this in the general thread, but this was probably a better place to post.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2013, 7:25 pm

Not commenting on what you are doing, just what occurred to me seeing the attempts at an "Asperger story". The problem is its one Asperger and their interaction with everyone else. It ends up having to be protrayed with over the top stereotyping. I think having more than one AS character interacting and sharing their common experiences would be better. Perhaps an older one who is a bit cynical acting as a mentor. That looks like what you are doing (sort of) :)

Imagine lines like "Well, eventually all your friends will betray you." or "You live in a what's right world, they live in a who's right world" or "Some people think you are too arrogant, others think you are not arrogant enough and a few think you are a serial killer."

Then the interactions and problems connecting to the NT-world could be more subtle, which they generally are. Just my idea.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 11:35 pm

I for one would love to see a movie with supporting character a spies who just happen to have aperger's but it is not the whole plot of the movie. So that the person is showed as part of a whole environment. Or to put it better, that their ASD does not define their complete existence.

You have my permission to look at my previous posts and use what you think is relevant. Just not my username.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 9:26 pm

Having a character diagnosed with something that isn't portrayed seems arbitrary. Don't mention anything if it's not going to be important.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2013, 10:45 pm

If your going to write a character with aspergers syndrome your going to have to commit to the Diagnosis for the whole movie, you cant just bring it up when you need it for plot.Little eye contact ,odd mannerisms,anxiety,stims and ticks.Example:my roomate says I move like a very big 9 year old. :?
Also if he going to be able to relate to kids he should potrayed as acting about 1/3 of his age. people with ASD tend to be below their biological age emotionally.