Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 10:01 am

Lawsuit Legal News

Quote:
As infants transition to solid foods, parents often turn to baby food as a primary source of essential vitamins and nutrients. However, recent revelations suggest that certain baby food manufacturers may have betrayed this trust by profiting from products contaminated with heavy metals. Such exposure during infancy can result in irreversible brain damage, leading to a range of developmental challenges, including behavioral issues, learning disabilities, and neurodevelopmental disorders like autism.

In response to these concerns, parents across the nation are taking legal action against prominent baby food manufacturers, such as Gerber, through product liability lawsuits. Affiliated with Lawsuit Legal News, experienced product liability lawyers are offering free consultations to parents who suspect that their child’s autism or developmental issues may be linked to the consumption of tainted baby food during infancy.

Following a hearing in late March, the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML) has made a significant ruling regarding the consolidation of toxic baby food autism lawsuits. As predicted by the Lawsuit Legal News team, the JPML has officially approved the creation of multidistrict litigation (MDL) to address product liability claims stemming from children’s exposure to baby food contaminated with hazardous levels of heavy metals.

Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley has been appointed to oversee the MDL, which will be conducted in the Northern District of California. This decision marks a notable advancement for plaintiffs seeking accountability from major baby food manufacturers, including Gerber, Beech-Nut, and Sprout.

Despite opposition from manufacturers, who advocated for transferring the cases to the Southern District of New York, the JPML determined that a consolidated approach in California is warranted. Plaintiffs argued that centralizing the litigation in one jurisdiction would streamline proceedings, given the widespread geographic distribution of affected individuals and the interconnected nature of the claims against multiple defendants.

This marks the second significant attempt to consolidate litigation related to neurodevelopmental disorders linked to heavy metal exposure from baby food. Increased scrutiny following the discovery of chromium and other heavy metals in baby food has underscored the urgency of addressing these concerns.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 3:47 pm

Maybe I've missed something but i cant see this lawsuit succeeding, how can they prove the autism wasn't there at birth, when medical science don't even know what causes autism apart from genes.

Probably lawyers trying to make money encouraging the lawsuit

- George Bernie Shaw

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 7:00 pm

they will likely settle out of court, lawyers only go after "deep pockets", corporations with lots of money and usually things get settled without proof ever being shown/tested or tried in court. predatory legal practices prey on parents who are trying to find reasons for struggling offspring, and looking for somebody to blame, so far there have been no proven cases of autism having been caused by toxic foods or meds. ( to my knowledge) All food goes through a lot of testing by the government before being allowed to be used for food in most civilized countries and random testing continually is done to keep the food chain safe of toxic chemicals. Of course there are incidents where things are found to have escaped examination and to have caused trouble, but this is not as frequent as continual suits against big name companies making the news might lead one to believe. Many suits are simply predatory "for profit" law firms looking to make a killing with lawsuits against a big company with insurance and profits enough to pay off lawsuits in fear of adverse publicity such suits would bring regardless of the truth of lack of proof behind the claims.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 7:03 pm

I'm autistic.
I ate baby food.
Can I has money now pl0x?

Making them pay-out is likely to force them to be more mindful of potential contamination whether or not it's relevant to anyone's autism.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 8:22 pm

Commercial Baby Food Causes Autism” . . . I will add this to my list, just after the “Collective Bargaining Causes Autism” entry, and just before the “Communal Bathing Causes Autism” entry.

:roll: How do they come up with this crap?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 8:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't understand.
Since, well...

My household is too poor to afford those things.
Even poorer around the time I've been a baby.

So........
:shrug:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 17 Apr 2024, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 8:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
“Commercial Baby Food Causes Autism” . . . I will add this to my list, just after the “Collective Bargaining Causes Autism” entry, and just before the “Communal Bathing Causes Autism” entry.

:roll: Where do they come up with this crap?

You're grossly oversimplifying the claim because it's not quite as mockable when one actually bothers to understand the claim.

The food was contaminated with heavy metals, heavy metal exposure is connected to neurological and developmental issues.

Whether or not exposure via baby food is able to be definitively proven as the cause of anyone's neurological or developmental issues, it's undeniable that excessive heavy metal exposure demonstrably has the ability to cause both acute and chronic health issues, including neurological and developmental issues for children exposed to them.

Where do you come up with your crap sometimes?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 12:10 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
“Commercial Baby Food Causes Autism” . . . I will add this to my list, just after the “Collective Bargaining Causes Autism” entry, and just before the “Communal Bathing Causes Autism” entry.  :roll: Where do they come up with this crap?
You're grossly oversimplifying the claim because it's not quite as mockable when one actually bothers to understand the claim.
Oh, I fully understand the claim, which is based on an Argumentum Ex Culo fallacy, and not on provable science.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 12:33 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
“Commercial Baby Food Causes Autism” . . . I will add this to my list, just after the “Collective Bargaining Causes Autism” entry, and just before the “Communal Bathing Causes Autism” entry.  :roll: Where do they come up with this crap?
Oh, I fully understand the claim, which is based on an Argumentum Ex Culo fallacy, and not on provable science.

The irony of insisting a claim you don't like was pulled out of someone's ass because trust me bro.

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2024, 6:57 am

First of all, I am not a toxicologist. I am simply a random autistic person on the internet.

On the one side of this fight are the baby food companies. On the other are the lawyers seeking to make money out of them. Caught in the middle are the desperate parents, looking for help for their autistic children, and thus ripe for exploitation.

I've done my research and can find links only to large numbers of lawyers' offices, and to only one rebuttal - from the ACSH, which is known to skew conservative, and looks to be advocating for the baby food companies. Their opinion states that the studies driving these lawsuits 'did not determine causality; they identified a correlation', i.e. 'it is not a fact that heavy metals in baby food cause autism; it has just been suggested that they might'.

By all means, let the research go ahead. In my opinion it is likely to lead to a conclusion that levels of heavy metals in baby food are unhealthy in general.

But this particular fight is between two sets of people trying to make money. There are no autistic people in the conversation, and it is of no benefit to autistic people or their families.

For us, the only winning move is not to play.

There is a God.