Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 2:56 pm

This is where I fundementally disagree, where I am an outlier, the article it is in the health section not the relationship or living section. I do not see my this article as my marriage has issues and autism is a factor. It is about an effect of Autism. If they want to do an article about this type of "mixed" marriage and just want to use expert opinions that is acceptible but that is not what they did. My whole life it is been commen for me hear women saying men do not discuss thier feelings enough. I do not think the readers of the Daily Mail are any different. This is not a matter of bieng offensive or politically correct but laziness. People seem to learn more from articles if personal stories are used to expound on the point bieng made. In this case the readers probably missed out on something that would have probably helped them and that they probably wanted to read. My guess is that it never occurred to the reporter/editor to interview the husbands.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 3:11 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ories.html
They did do a mixed race article in the Femail section--the women got much more page space than the men. I think it is because the women provided more useful material to print.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 12:10 am

Two husbands were quoted and it was not about the flaws of the husbands but of society at that time. The Autism article was different in every way except for the "mixed" part. A comparable mixed race marriage article would be having only white wives and a white expert discussing how the black culture background of the husbands causes issues for the white wives. If they published such an article I very much doubt that posters on black oriented forums would be nearly universally praising the article for how balanced it was now matter how positive the tone. The paper would take a major financial hit and probably go out of business as subscribers and advertisers would drop them in droves. Change black to another race, ethnic group or physical disability a similer "mixed" article will produce a similar reaction to varying degrees. Autism is different, again.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman