22 Jan 2011, 1:15 am

America has a Disabilities Act?

ci
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 1:16 am

Tales wrote:
America has a Disabilities Act?

Yes. But that does not mean the world is perfect or without bias.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2011, 1:30 am

Ah... we known that but however in Singapore there isn't such a policy

aaronkok
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jan 2011, 4:01 am

Tales, thank you for the articles.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 4:41 am

I have revisited the subject and I cannot personally help but wish others would. It's not within the confines of my advocacy job and is a sub-specialty on international affairs and conflict management \ resolution. I'm sorry maybe later in a few years after I read relevant textbooks and talk to government about things to watch out for.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

aaronkok
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Feb 2011, 4:49 am

Indeed, this is hard --- chill.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 4:22 am

It's not that I do not care just I don't know anything about it. I talked to the congressman's office about federal law and they are going to talk to the congressman about it as it's relevant to the letter on my website. But this issue involves much more then autism and it's quite clear. My suggestion is to move to the U.S or another democracy. I don't think I could make much change with concern to this topic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 6:47 am

Tales wrote:
Just to note the point of this topic and the forementioned article is due to the fact that in Singapore, autistics are portrayed in the media as lower functioning and dumb. I believe this is an insult to all of wrongplaneters here?

Singapore is only a stones throw away from Australia so I've had the chance to visit 4 times.

Due to lack of resources and reliance on shipping, Former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew started the concept of the knowledge economy in Singapore by basically investing heavily in Singapores brain power - literally. As a result Singaporeans are the most obsessed people about IQ and performance anywhere on the planet, smart people are well rewarded. Ironically this is good news for high functioning autistics with above average IQs. Unfortunately the Singaporeans have a low oponion of anyone with a below average IQ and this includes the classic Kanners Autistics whom are portrayed in the media as a "social burden" for their parents. To make matters worse Singaporeans tend to show sympathy for the parents of LFA autistics rather than the children themselves who (in typcial Chinese fashion) are treated with scorn and derision for being inferior.

aaronkok
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Sep 2011, 10:02 pm

ci wrote:
My suggestion is to move to the U.S or another democracy. I don't think I could make much change with concern to this topic.

This is what I am doing. I am now in Britain as a student :)

aaronkok
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Sep 2011, 10:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Tales wrote:
Just to note the point of this topic and the forementioned article is due to the fact that in Singapore, autistics are portrayed in the media as lower functioning and dumb. I believe this is an insult to all of wrongplaneters here?

Singaporeans are the most obsessed people about IQ and performance anywhere on the planet, smart people are well rewarded. Ironically this is good news for high functioning autistics with above average IQs.

I know people with high IQs but because of their conditions and inability to manage socially, they drop out of Singaporean mainstream society. But some (not all) autistic Singaporeans thrive in our society, with their intellect.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 5:05 am

aaronkok wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Tales wrote:

Singaporeans are the most obsessed people about IQ and performance anywhere on the planet, smart people are well rewarded. Ironically this is good news for high functioning autistics with above average IQs.

I know people with high IQs but because of their conditions and inability to manage socially, they drop out of Singaporean mainstream society. But some (not all) autistic Singaporeans thrive in our society, with their intellect.

Holy old threads, Batman! (Bataman? :P) Anyways, welcome back to the land of the living.

aaronkok
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2011, 10:03 am

I am just glad... I am lucky.