Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 8:18 am

A Dutch woman with autism is facing involuntary commitment at a locked ward, for the simple reason that she is no longer treatable (but it doesn't appear she is a serious threat to herslef or others if she gets the right support) and is "blocking an expensive treatment place". The woman is on a waiting list for a specialized placement called a workhome, but after three years of waiting there is still no place for her. On the locked ward where she'll likely move to, there are patients with all sort sof disorders, lots of aggression, untrained staff in autism, etc., so this is absolutely unsuitable. I have more info about the case at my blog at http://astridvanwoerkom.wordpress.com/2009/08/21/autistic-woman-faces-forced-move-to-locked-ward/. I know that most of you are unfamiliar with the Dutch system, but maybe anyone more familiar with autistic advocacy than I am might have recommendations on how to help this woman get hte best care possible. Her mother is already pursuing legal action with the help from the Dutch autism society.

Last edited by ChangelingGirl on 22 Aug 2009, 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 9:59 am

Sounds bad, sadly the link does not work for me.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 2:44 pm

This case is shocking, I would have thought that a locked ward is more expensive than most wards due to the safegaurds such as extra locks on doors.

As no cure for autism exists then she can not be detained for treatment leading to a cure, I would like to know how they justify the idea that she is a threat to herself and others. If she has no (or little) history of self harm or violence then it sounds like a load of nonsense to me.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 3:41 am

Woodpecker wrote:
This case is shocking, I would have thought that a locked ward is more expensive than most wards due to the safegaurds such as extra locks on doors.

As no cure for autism exists then she can not be detained for treatment leading to a cure, I would like to know how they justify the idea that she is a threat to herself and others. If she has no (or little) history of self harm or violence then it sounds like a load of nonsense to me.

The main cost goes in staffing, with locked wards being more expensive because there is more staff. However, it is possible that her current treatment ward has extra staffing for one reason or another, hence making it expensive. Another thing could be that the doc isn't really meaning the cost, but rather the fact that another person could be treated in her place.

I know that autism isn't cureable, but treatment usually involves teaching coping skills, independence skills, etc.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 2:46 pm

Well this case is still a shocking case, some years ago in the UK the government had a "bright" idea that they could have people with "serious personality disorders". At least under the UK law of the time it has very hard to detain under mental health law a person for treatment if no cure existed.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/stories/s37563.htm

I do not think it ever happened, it sounds to me like a case of "Hard cases make bad law"