http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/ ... th-victims
Original article:
Mental illness article discriminates against asd individuals and more:
http://www.canta.co.nz/opinion/mental-i ... omment-342

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:21 am

What a jackass. Check out the last line in the original article (after she said we shouldn't reproduce): "Alternatively, google will direct you to many sites with step-by-step guides on how to tie a noose."

If I'm tying any noose, it's for use on monsters like that, not myself.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:57 am

this vile person isn't even decent enough to put their name to the piece. maybe she left the rest of it beneath the rock she crawled out from under.

on a lighter note i love the post by the guy called 'my 2 cents' - "it is NOT discriminatory" :lol:

yeah, ok, if you say so, "I treat him with the respect he deserves, aka none." I'm not sure he read that part. Or anything else in the article.

And i'm pretty sure 'aka' means 'also known as', whereas using 'i.e' 'id est/that is' might have made a sentence that wasn't a little nonsensical. :roll:

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 4:28 am

In Gt. Britain, the Office of National Statistics estimates the number of adults with mental illness at any one time is one in six. And that's only including significant cases.

People don't realise how common it is; there's much ignorance surrounding it. They naturally seem to target the most vulnerable groups, and people with mental health difficulties form one of them, especially since there seems to be far less stigma in bashing them. I can't imagine them publishing a similar article on physical disability or illness. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Edit: Am I the only one who finds it odd how people are making dichotomous statements saying simply that those with conditions shouldn't pass them on, while failing to take numerous factors such as degree, circumstances, even the human condition in general, into account in their arguments?

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 7:01 am

@outlier - I was about to post in length in agreement with you and about how no self-respecting academic would claim a direct causal link between a certain gene and a certain condition, but then i looked at the avatar the article's author used to go with it. take a look and i think you'll agree that no more need be said. If you were a serious journalist and not soemone trying to say soemthing controversial for attention/publicity then you wouldn't use that avatar for a start. what a tw*t. Good to see there are plenty of New Zealanders setting the record straight though. Hopefully Dr. Mengele will go a little easy on the free speech thing from now on, lest she make herself look more like another ignorant NT.

whats worse the editor allowed it to be published, so there are at least two people expressing the views of that disgusting article.

any members in NZ please, please, please tell me you have anti-discrimination laws there because this is just ripe for a lawsuit, suggesting that the mentally ill go hang themselves would get a forced retraction and apology, at least, in GB (I hope)

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 7:13 am

TitusLucretiusCarus wrote:
any members in NZ please, please, please tell me you have anti-discrimination laws there because this is just ripe for a lawsuit, suggesting that the mentally ill go hang themselves would get a forced retraction and apology, at least, in GB (I hope)

Thanks for your concern I have reported it to the appropriate places, but at times in New Zealand you almost make your self a target by speaking out... I think the worst part being a mother with aspergers and others differences on mothers day the last thing I needed to read was for someone to suggest I should tie a nooses around my neck and my AS son should never of been born !

But to think it was allowed to be printed in the University, where there are often valuable young adults, it affected me and I am happy and a proud to be an autistic adult, but some here in NZ are even scare to say the word autism because of stigma!

Last edited by asplanet on 11 May 2009, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 7:15 am

I won't have my own kids because it would be very painful for me to raise an aspie son with same problems as me.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 7:21 am

Learning2Survive wrote:
I won't have my own kids because it would be very painful for me to raise an aspie son with same problems as me.

I have no problem being an aspie mother in fact the best thing I have ever done in life, the only problems I had is the ignorance of others at times and as for my older son he is like myself a proud autistic individual and thanked me the other day for not treating him like everyone else... he truly is a brilliant happy child and feel will make a real difference in this world, at your age I was still discovering self and not ready yet for a relationship let alone a family, I had my children later in life as was lost for a while until I really found self...

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 7:42 am

asplanet wrote:
Learning2Survive wrote:

I have no problem being an aspie mother in fact the best thing I have ever done in life, the only problems I had is the ignorance of others at times and as for my older son he is like myself a proud autistic individual and thanked me the other day for not treating him like everyone else... he truly is a brilliant happy child and feel will make a real difference in this world, at your age I was still discovering self and not ready yet for a relationship let alone a family, I had my children later in life as was lost for a while until I really found self...

good point, but, i would not want to work pay check to pay check just to pay rent, worry about my kid's school and health insurance, stress out about my wife getting bored and unhappy with me, and to watch my son be bullied, isolated, and deprived of friends, gf, job, or full human status as he grows up. And watch my son come home depressed and down on himself, wondering what is wrong with him that he is not like the other 96% of his peers. you must be really high on the Asperger's Acceptance Pyramid, I guess I am not. even if you accept AS, society does not - hence it's really hard not to get shunned. it's nice if you can find a community of aspies or people with disabilities where you and your aspie child are accepted, but again, if the economy turns really bad and you are homeless or without food or health insurance - it will suk big time.

Doncostello
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 May 2009, 8:37 am

wierd- some of you say you dont want to have an aspie kid- but i intend to find an aspie girl and make it give of take 75% that i get an aspie kid. i wanna entire aspie bloodline 8O

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 8:56 am

Oh what a nasty thing for someone to write, the idea of suggesting that mentally ill people should not be allowed to reproduce sounds like the worst form of eugenics. I refuse to give this person any of my thinking time, I have better things to do such as watching paint dry.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 9:07 am

Disgusting.

I once knew a women with mental health difficulties who's social worker 'advised' her not to have children incase her illness were inherited.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 9:17 am

it's pretty f*cked that people still think like this, i have a strong urge to slap these fools but i won't, as i can't..
woe betide anyone who tells me i shouldn't reproduce :(
Good that people here are "right on it" tho, keep up the tolerance :)

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 9:36 am

I don't know much at all about New Zealand, but I don't think they would have published an article that said the same sort of things about the Mauri people.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2009, 9:47 am

Quote:
"Most responses had been angry. One said: "Oh give Deborah a break. People with NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) have just as much right to speak out as anyone else. They can't help themselves."

This is a pretty good come back!! I like it!! :wtg:

This "Deborah" clearing is suffering from some manner of mental illness. Maybe we should all send her a card to congratulate her on her decision to "not reproduce". :lmao:

f*****g jackass........ 8O

Pardon my "french".....

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 11:19 am

Learning2Survive wrote:

Breed and butter topic

All genetics is a roulet game. I am an aspie mom with three NT children. I chose to have children. Child bearing/rearing is a choice. Of course, for the safety of the children, monitoring may be involved, and this is done on a discretionary basis, and involves the parents and the children.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo