Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Sep 2009, 6:21 pm

On page 459 of the Dino Cafe you can read a post I once made about those who would seek to
make us "normal"
The Autism Speaks puzzle piece logo can very well become the new Yellow Star of David...

"Heres to the Crazy Ones"
"Bedlams & Willowbrooks"

richie wrote:
There are times when I think the mental health establishment has a vested interest in pushing all kinds of crap on us.
When I was in foster care I was sent to a whole bunch of Freudian hacks who did nothing but take notes and collect
Medic-aid payments. :evil: If I had been put in Willowbrook they would have had one less patient to make career out of. :roll:

richie wrote:
Nan wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
richie wrote:
cosmiccat wrote:
What is Willowbrook, Richie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willowbrook_State_School

Richie, this touched me as few things do. we are so fortunate to be not there, even if we were there at one time. I sincerely hope you weren't. Oh, I hope, I hope, I hope you weren't there. . .

Merle

Ditto. My uncle died in Greystone in NJ. I'd have ended up there, I think, if things had gone as they probably would have. One wonders why/when, in dark moments, they'll bring along the cattle cars for us. Only one suitcase, please....

Vigilance is the price of our freedom.
This puzzle piece could very well become our Yellow Star of David.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 7:22 pm

^^^ The day that happens is the day we become entitled to revolution. I would LOVE to see them try it.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 2:59 am

I'm thinking it's time to pull out the big guns.

I'm thinking I might do a regular YouTube video about having Aspergers/Autism, about all the things that we do that are different. Things like stimming, social awkwardness, meltdowns and things like that. And start MAKING our voices heard!

Of course, I'd need people to contribute their opinions of course, and their experiences, but I'm sure I can do it.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 11:29 am

How about if we become reporters and catch NTs in the act of their inner autist sneaking out?
I have fun, fun stim toys all over my house. When NT's come over, it doesn't take long for them to grab a toy and start doing repetitive things like enjoying the textures or manipulating the toys over and over. When I catch them doing that, I tell them their inner autist is being freed to express itself. They stare that the toy in their hands and look happy about it and get into the stimming even more.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 3:23 pm

OregonBecky wrote:
How about if we become reporters and catch NTs in the act of their inner autist sneaking out?
I have fun, fun stim toys all over my house. When NT's come over, it doesn't take long for them to grab a toy and start doing repetitive things like enjoying the textures or manipulating the toys over and over. When I catch them doing that, I tell them their inner autist is being freed to express itself. They stare that the toy in their hands and look happy about it and get into the stimming even more.

Hmmmm, I was thinking of something more to break down the barriers that Autism Speaks seems to want to put up. Explain to the NT population that we're not all doom and gloom, and hey, hopefully they can learn to relate to us. And when they do that, things will become easier. :)

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 7:15 pm

Autism Speaks emailed complainers and claimed they removed the I am Autism video but they lied.
LeftBrainRightBrain

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 12:19 pm

OregonBecky wrote:
Autism Speaks emailed complainers and claimed they removed the I am Autism video but they lied.
LeftBrainRightBrain

So did they remove it from youtube at least? That video seemed more focused on the parents than the kids themselves.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 1:02 pm

Jono wrote:
OregonBecky wrote:
LeftBrainRightBrain

So did they remove it from youtube at least? That video seemed more focused on the parents than the kids themselves.

Nope. It's going to be on Youtube forever, I think.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 1:13 pm

I saw a comment somewhere from a parent who was resentful that the presence of high functioning autistics and Aspies were making people think that this was the whole face of autism and they were making the profoundly autistic people invisible.

Well, blame Autism Speaks for that! They state that one in 150 people are autistic but don't explain that it's a spectrum and most people in the spectrum aren't broken. They just need to be taught and accepted on their temperamental terms. Society needs to be educated. But Autism Speaks tries to make the most on scaring people and winding up confusing them, as well.

If we don't push back with reality, they will ruin families and people on the spectrum with this destructive misinformation.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 7:48 pm

southwestforests wrote:
OregonBecky wrote:
This is persecution of an innocent people, pure and simple. It's generalizing and lying based on some anecdotes. One can demonize anything with those words.

“I am the Repubican Party. I have no interest in right or wrong. I will plot to rob you of your children and your dreams….And if you’re happily married, I will make sure that your marriage fails. Your money will fall into my hands, and I will bankrupt you for my own self-gain,”

Or
“I am gayness. I have no interest in right or wrong. I will plot to rob you of your children and your dreams….And if you’re happily married, I will make sure that your marriage fails. Your money will fall into my hands, and I will bankrupt you for my own self-gain,”

Or
“I am a new baby. I have no interest in right or wrong. I will plot to rob you of your children and your dreams….And if you’re happily married, I will make sure that your marriage fails. Your money will fall into my hands, and I will bankrupt you for my own self-gain,”

Or
“I am a need for companionship. I have no interest in right or wrong. I will plot to rob you of your children and your dreams….And if you’re happily married, I will make sure that your marriage fails. Your money will fall into my hands, and I will bankrupt you for my own self-gain,”

Or
“I am Autism Speaks. I have no interest in right or wrong. I will plot to rob you of your children and your dreams….And if you’re happily married, I will make sure that your marriage fails. Your money will fall into my hands, and I will bankrupt you for my own self-gain,”

I like that!

"I am Autism Speaks. I have absolutely no interest in right or wrong. I will plot to rob you of your autistic children and your dreams. If you are a married couple with an autistic child, I will make sure your marriage fails through misinformation, half-truths, and lies. Your money will fall into my hands, and I will bankrupt you for my own self-gain..."

ShyGorilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2009, 11:27 pm

all I know is that after watching that Autism Speaks video, I am too upset for words. they do NOT speak for ME! :shaking:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 3:16 pm

Sounds like a horror story.
So I decided to play the theme of the shower scene in psycho over it and it fitted perfectly.

"I am autism, I know where you live etc etc *SHING SHING SHING SHING....*"

Krasher
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2009, 7:54 pm

When the world gives you gas, get a note about Autism Speaks latest attempt at ruining the runs for aspies.

Aylahmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2009, 2:26 pm

I am very saddened and pissed that, I myself have donated and done the walks for my kids thinking that they were doing a good thing. I love my 2 spectrum children and I will not ever be attending a crazy bunch of people again. It's terrible to see where are all of the money is going they should be ashamed of them selves. Ya it might be stressful sometimes but who's life isnt, My life isnt as bad as they make it seem. I would never want people thinking that way about my kids nor do I want to change them.

Autism Speaks shame on you you have failed! :evil:

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 4:04 pm

WTF? That video is hilarious because it's like so stupid... I feel sorry for the poor kids in it though... You have to admit it is quite amusing though that you have this deadly serious voice-over yet most of the kids are smiling and being cute...

It is misinforming the parents though so burn it... (im not an arsonist...)

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 5:18 pm

I've actually been at a presentation with Ari Ne'eman and glad to see his take on such media representation of those within the spectrum and all..