Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 5:33 pm

I get so sick of the negative media portrayals of people with AS ...

But, this morning I saw an inspirational story on my local news and it made my day. Matt Gibson, a high school senior with Asperger's and other challenges in his life, has been nominated for the Rudy Awards.

The National High School Rudy Awards honor inspirational football players. The award is named after Daniel ‘Rudy’ Ruettiger, the Notre Dame football player who fulfilled his dream of playing for the Fighting Irish, overcoming many obstacles and criticisms to get there.

You can view Matt’s official nominee page here and vote for him by clicking on “Matt Inspires Me!” at the top of the page.

http://www.highschoolrudyawards.com/Nom ... ibson.aspx

If he wins, Matt will receive a scholarship.

But, there will also likely be a follow-up news story, if he wins the award. It seems like younger people with Asperger's are sent so many negative messages about themselves and don't get to see nearly enough positive role models, so I think this is really cool.

Happy voting!

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2009, 6:04 pm

Voted! That is such a positive letter coming from his coach - how lucky he is to be able to be open about AS and be appreciated for it. Makes me wonder how many of my teachers would have been supportive of me instead of critical, had they known.