IANResearch is
a good thing. 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
a bad thing. 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 8

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Oct 2009, 10:44 pm

I am curious about people's thoughts on IANResearch. I realize that a large number of people in the community are opposed to anything that Autism Speaks touches, and they are involved in the project but it seems like this is a project that is aimed at helping people.

Does this seem like a good project to support. They describe themselves as such:

Quote:
What is IAN Research?

Every day thousands of people from across the country are coming together through IAN Research, an innovative online initiative connecting researchers with individuals and families affected by autism spectrum disorders (ASD). The information being shared by those living with an ASD is already helping researchers discover new insights about the disorder and is assisting community leaders advocating for improved services. This dynamic exchange is the nation's largest online autism research study and is making remarkable strides to improve the lives of individuals and families affected by ASDs. This collaborative effort strives to accelerate important breakthroughs about causes, diagnosis, and treatments which may lead to the discovery of a possible cure.

Before anyone freaks out at the end part containing the work "cure" please note that it says that the the breakthroughs about the causes, diagnosis, and treatments may lead to a possible cure. That to me says that the breakthroughs come first (good) and the possible cure is a possible later effect.

Also note that the effect today is "already helping researchers discover new insights about the disorder and is assisting community leaders advocating for improved services."

So what do you think? Is this our chance to help influence the research to improve the lives of other autistics, or is it something we should avoid?

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 11:10 pm

Quote:
I realize that a large number of people in the community are opposed to anything that Autism Speaks touches

Guilt by association.
I would never support nor be supported by something I do not believe in. "Autism Speaks" is an obvious disgrace to Autistic's.
Genocide of any kind is unethical, immoral and illegal, this should also include marketing of any kind.