Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2009, 4:56 pm

What do think about the online autism conference in the link below? is it worth paying that small fee to participate? And has anyone participated in the previous ones?:

http://www.awares.org/conferences/

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 11:38 am

So, has no one participated in the previous on-line conferences? Maybe you can ask Professor Simon Barron Cohen a few questions. He was invited this year. I was asking because I was thinking of registering and taking part.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Nov 2009, 2:09 pm

I think this would be a very interesting conference and 5 pounds is not much for what you would gain in information without having to leave your home. :D

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 3:42 pm

Yes, it is quite a small fee. But since I don't have a virtual account, I need to ask my dad before I can register. I'll ask him tomorrow. Anyone else interested in taking part in the discussions? I think it will provide some useful information.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Nov 2009, 3:51 pm

I "went" last year!

The payment system was a bit clunky but it worked eventually.

I found some of the "speakers" very interesting, and enjoyed asking them questions etc. Also you get to see all the previous years papers, and some of them were brilliant.

I can recommend it. :)

PS. Thanks for posting about it, and providing the link! I had totally forgotten when it was due to happen again and might have missed it. :)

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 5:30 pm

ouinon wrote:
PS. Thanks for posting about it, and providing the link! I had totally forgotten when it was due to happen again and might have missed it. :) .

You welcome.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 2:36 pm

I've just registered for the conference. I hope there'll be lots of useful information.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 3:02 pm

This is a must. I've been on the conference several years. This is the perfect opportunity to give professionals feedback from the autistic community. Just keep it polite.

auntyjack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2009, 3:44 am

Jono wrote:
What do think about the online autism conference in the link below? is it worth paying that small fee to participate? And has anyone participated in the previous ones?:

I have participated in their events when they were free however last year I tried to join the paid conference. I could not get in. They tried really hard to fix the problem, but it was not until after the conference that I had access to the papers. There was no refund. The amount was small, but I do think they should have given a refund.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 4:07 pm

auntyjack wrote:
Jono wrote:

I have participated in their events when they were free however last year I tried to join the paid conference. I could not get in. They tried really hard to fix the problem, but it was not until after the conference that I had access to the papers. There was no refund. The amount was small, but I do think they should have given a refund.

There won't be a refund because payment is actually a donation. When I made the donation through Just-Giving or what ever the name of that website was called, it almost didn't seem like that was part of the registration process. In my case, I forwarded the receipt e-mail to the guy who organizes the conference so he will have the receipt number. I hope that will help with me gaining access to those papers.

By the way, thanks to whoever moved this thread. I think my thread is much better off in this forum.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 3:17 pm

UPDATE: Just to let you know, I've received an e-mail stating that they've extended the conference to 11 December. So people can still read articles and post questions.

mcsquared
Raven
Raven

11 Dec 2009, 12:11 am

And now it's been extended yet another time until Dec 18.
Haven't really gotten into it much--it's just the papers and the forums right? Or are there live chats involved as well?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 2:27 pm

mcsquared wrote:
And now it's been extended yet another time until Dec 18.
Haven't really gotten into it much--it's just the papers and the forums right? Or are there live chats involved as well?

Good, then I'll have more time to read papers and post questions if I wanted to. I've been quite busy lately and haven't had as much time as I would've liked either. So far, I've only posted the one question to Prof. Simon Baron Cohen about genetics and severity in autism.