Jason Calacanis and his derogatory use of the term Aspergers

Page 2 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

aloneinacrowd
Raven
Raven

13 May 2010, 5:35 pm

He seems to have trouble in many areas of his life. Screwing over Leo Laporte after he was accommodating. Shame

http://newsblaze.com/story/201004181712 ... story.html

It seems Tech Crunch also dumped him this week. Though they used nice words to say it.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/11/jason- ... -a-ticket/

aloneinacrowd
Raven
Raven

13 May 2010, 5:42 pm

beau99 wrote:
aloneinacrowd wrote:

We should be more aggressive against this kind of thing. I won't go into all the drivel we sent back and forth but this is how he concluded his last email. It really shows who he is.

Quote:
Finally, I'm a writer and I get to use words the way I want to. That's
the nice thing about words: no one owns them. They are, in fact, open
source.

You are just a reader, so please remember your role and place in all
this. Your job is to consume the words and then try to garner some
knowledge. It is not your place to try and "teach the teacher."

best, jcal

Pretty arrogant if you ask me. We are not just readers. We are people and we have rights.

You can disagree with it and don't have to like it, but he's right.

He's allowed to use words however he wishes, just like you have the right to disagree with what he says.

Really? I think its just because we allow it. There are many associative words that most would not dare use in such a situation and the only reason they would not dare to use them is because those communities associated would create an uproar that would change his world. So should we. You only have the respect and rights that you are willing to demand and stand up for.

aloneinacrowd
Raven
Raven

13 May 2010, 5:50 pm

Here he is trying to justify his lies on his twitter. So it's ok to tell a bunch of lies and then just say it was a joke? Clearly he is the one that has no empathy towards his readers.

http://kara.allthingsd.com/20100201/pra ... ATD_iphone

aloneinacrowd
Raven
Raven

13 May 2010, 6:34 pm

alex wrote:
i just tweeted this thread. take that jason

He replied. :D

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2010, 7:08 pm

I say World Planet should write a very civil and fair addition to this guy's Wikipedia page that explains this controversy and how it is a nasty, underhanded, and completely inaccurate slam to this community.

I mean, seriously--this jerk just suggested people with Asperger Syndrome are amoral would-be murderers:

"Last year, when I realized that Zuckerberg was an amoral,
Asperger’s-like entrepreneur, I told Zynga CEO Mark Pincus that
Zuckerberg would try and slit his throat."

http://calacanis.com/2010/05/12/the-big ... your-hand/

aloneinacrowd
Raven
Raven

13 May 2010, 7:18 pm

Sounds like a good idea.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 7:47 pm

It is odd and potentially telling that he studiously avoids the more accurate word "narcissism" when describing behaviour that is narcissistic rather than Aspergic. Does he dare not name what dwells within?

He apparently expects that he can launch unprovoked attacks on innocent persons, while believing he should be free from provoked remonstration or any form of accountability for these attacks. It would seem that someone has a sense of entitlement, a feeling that others exist only for his satisfaction, and a belief that he is entitled to better treatment than he directs towards others. I suspect his real issue with Zuckerberg is not unethical, disrespectful and unfair behaviour since, (judging by his unprovoked attacks on people for daring to exist while being characterized by a disability) this jason character has no apparent problem with behaving in such a manner himself. Perhaps it is the disparity between his and Zuckerberg's respective bank balances that really troubles him.

If he were a wordsmith of any aptitude he would understand the meaning of the words he used, and he would not need to stoop to such lowly levels to communicate his point. It is ironic that he seems to think himself some kind of teacher when he is obviously not master of his chosen medium.

aloneinacrowd
Raven
Raven

13 May 2010, 8:12 pm

Well put pandd.

johnrobison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2010, 8:52 pm

You know, Tony Attwood had a good insight into people like this.

He said you can draw a bell curve for social intelligence, just like the one for traditional IQ. We Aspergians are down there on the left bottom. We get along well with our own kind, on the bottom left. We can also get along really well with the denizens of the far right bottom - the "emotional geniuses," if you will.

Most of humanity lies in the middle of the curve, and they do not understand, or care to understand, those of us at the fringes. We are too far from the norm for them.

I think Tony is right. Those are the guys that tell jokes about us over pitchers of Bud, and write about us in stories like that. I'd just let it go. They do not understand us, and we don't understand them. We do our thing, and they do theirs.

alex
Developer
Developer

13 May 2010, 9:32 pm

aloneinacrowd wrote:
alex wrote:

What do you think of his response?

Quote:

My uses of the term "asperger's-like" was not derogatory--it was descriptive. as in "difficulties in social interaction" @alexplank

here's my response

Quote:
thanks for clarifying. although in the original context it seemed like the term was used more as an insult than a descriptor. @Jason

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 10:01 pm

johnrobison wrote:

He said you can draw a bell curve for social intelligence, just like the one for traditional IQ. We Aspergians are down there on the left bottom. We get along well with our own kind, on the bottom left. We can also get along really well with the denizens of the far right bottom - the "emotional geniuses," if you will.

Most of humanity lies in the middle of the curve, and they do not understand, or care to understand, those of us at the fringes. We are too far from the norm for them.

I think Tony is right. Those are the guys that tell jokes about us over pitchers of Bud, and write about us in stories like that. I'd just let it go. They do not understand us, and we don't understand them. We do our thing, and they do theirs.

Honestly John, we have to live in the society where they spread their bile.

Just doing their own thing and ignoring discrimination was not the solution for other groups victimized by bigotry and prejudice. These people get to vote, get to influence our political leaders, and influence the wider community who in turn vote and influence our political leaders. One journalist recently claimed people have a right to know if their Prime Minister has AS because she assumes that this makes us less fit for such a role solely on the basis of a characteristic that we did not choose to have and which is not necessarily correlated with lowered performance in a Prime Minister.

These people influence how much ridicule and humilation is dumped on us, and the extent to which formal legislative discrimination against us exists. We cannot afford to just ignore them least we turn around and find we are forced to wear stars of autism in public places. How we are perceived publicly matters, both to our emotional well being and to our inclusion and legal rights within a community of beings who have shown time and time again how easily and readily they adopt viscious, abusive and even genocidal behaviour when encouraged to view a sub-group of humans as less than (human).

aloneinacrowd
Raven
Raven

13 May 2010, 10:28 pm

alex wrote:
aloneinacrowd wrote:
alex wrote:

What do you think of his response?

Quote:

My uses of the term "asperger's-like" was not derogatory--it was descriptive. as in "difficulties in social interaction" @alexplank

here's my response

Quote:
thanks for clarifying. although in the original context it seemed like the term was used more as an insult than a descriptor. @Jason

Well it is derogatory no matter how it's spun. He makes his money as a Contrarian. So no matter what you post the reply will be contrary. The only real way to stop these kinds of things is to overload the perpetrators with return fire from any quarter available. You make them a hot potato that no one wants to hold onto.

aloneinacrowd
Raven
Raven

13 May 2010, 10:30 pm

johnrobison wrote:

We can't live in a closet and expect to live.

Fehndrix
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2010, 11:15 pm

Did this guy graduate from Michael Savage's School For Arrogant Anti-Autism "Journalists"?

aloneinacrowd
Raven
Raven

14 May 2010, 1:57 am

I'm wondering if he is an in denial Aspie and he's angry about it. Embrace it Jason Let go. We'll catch ya.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 12:51 pm

Lawl - that's funny because it's stupid.