Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 4:35 pm

AS only focuses on the severe end of the spectrum and the parents struggle with their kids who have it. So they try and spread awareness so they get more support they need to help their children. I can see the parents point of view about their kids.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 2:38 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
nintendogurl1990 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Isn't this the one where the Autism Speaks women says she'd drive off a bridge with her autistic daughter in the car if it wasn't for her NT daughter?

Disgusting.

Yeah. She said she'd rather do that than put her daughter in a public school, but still you NEVER talk about killing your own child, your own flesh and blood, especially when she's in the same room!

Take both kids away from this nutcase of a woman.

She's no longer with Autism Speaks. By the way, Alex interviewed her on Autism Talk TV:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt127029.html.

She even responded to that particular thread on Wrong Planet, explaining what she says that she really meant by that comment in the Autism Every Day video.

I'm not sure that she really meant that she wanted her kill her daughter. She says it was a bit out of context. Maybe it was the way the Autism Every Day video was edited.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 7:32 am

I've seen that video. If I had access to that video, I'd burn it. If I had the know how, I'd hack the Internet and block the video everywhere that it's been posted. :twisted:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 12:56 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've seen that video. If I had access to that video, I'd burn it. If I had the know how, I'd hack the Internet and block the video everywhere that it's been posted. :twisted:

I wouldn't, it's good evidence that people shouldn't support Autism Speaks, and censorship is bad for any reason even with good intentions.

I would, however, like horrible things to happen to the person who said she would drive her daughter off a bridge.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 1:27 pm

Would you then take responsibility for her child Asp-Z?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 1:31 pm

Laz wrote:
Would you then take responsibility for her child Asp-Z?

Sure, I'd do a much better job as a parent than someone who said she'd drive her off a bridge while she was in the room.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 1:39 pm

And what understanding do you have of being the parent and/or carer of a child with autism?

You do realise we had a women who killed herself in the UK along with her son by jumping from the Humber Bridge. She took this action out of despair because she felt she had no support from her community in raising her child and would rather take his life with her's then subject him to a lifetime in the care system.

Would you wish harm on her as well?

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 1:44 pm

The most disturbing aspect for me is how these people hide behind "love" and pretend their actions stem only from their love for their kids and wanting what's best for them. It really makes me sick to my stomach :cry:

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 3:31 pm

Laz wrote:
And what understanding do you have of being the parent and/or carer of a child with autism?

You do realise we had a women who killed herself in the UK along with her son by jumping from the Humber Bridge. She took this action out of despair because she felt she had no support from her community in raising her child and would rather take his life with her's then subject him to a lifetime in the care system.

I have two (possibly 3) autistic children, and live in Doncaster, where Social Services kill children and the Council had to be taken over by central government because it was so miserably unfit for purpose. Only Haringey has a worse record for Child (or Adult even) Services in the UK. I have yet to throw myself or any of my children off any bridge in the county. Instead, we fight for better services, volunteer and work with the local health authorities to monitor, comment and suggest where ever we can, and watch the Social Services with the beady vigilance of a laser-guided kestrel. THAT is how to cope with sh***y services. NOT murder-suicide.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 3:34 pm

Laz wrote:

Yes, yes I would.

There are loads of autistic children in both the US and the UK and loads of parents who do a fine job raising them. Those who'd rather kill their children than raise them properly, no matter how they justify it to themselves, deserve harm IMO.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 2:51 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Laz wrote:

I have two (possibly 3) autistic children, and live in Doncaster, where Social Services kill children and the Council had to be taken over by central government because it was so miserably unfit for purpose. Only Haringey has a worse record for Child (or Adult even) Services in the UK. I have yet to throw myself or any of my children off any bridge in the county. Instead, we fight for better services, volunteer and work with the local health authorities to monitor, comment and suggest where ever we can, and watch the Social Services with the beady vigilance of a laser-guided kestrel. THAT is how to cope with sh***y services. NOT murder-suicide.

QFT. Lot's of parents other than the ones who have children with autism need support and don't get it. So why is it only acceptable to kill ones self and ones child if the child has autism but not in other cases?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 7:15 pm

These people are obviously driven to despair...so yes I would imagine some would end up sick and disturbed after the treatment they get from trying to get any help. I remember my mum writing something about how she wanted to take me to the woods and kill us both, which disturbed me. I don't dislike her for it, because we were both going through a bad time. I was depressed and throwing tantrums all the time (slamming doors, breaking things), self harmed and was struggling socially and academically at school. She asked for help and was lied to and made out to be a bad parent, threatened with legal action and hinted at that she had Munchausen's.

I don't blame parents from feeling they want to end it for themselves and their kids - it's a constant battle and would drive any sane person mad.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 4:52 am

On the topic of these parents killing themselves and their kids because of autism... I'm willing to bet it isn't exactly helped by someone telling them how much of a disaster autism is... Hmm, I wonder what massive organisation would do such a thing? :chin:

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 4:44 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
nintendogurl1990 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Isn't this the one where the Autism Speaks women says she'd drive off a bridge with her autistic daughter in the car if it wasn't for her NT daughter?

Disgusting.

Yeah. She said she'd rather do that than put her daughter in a public school, but still you NEVER talk about killing your own child, your own flesh and blood, especially when she's in the same room!

I've talked to her personally.

She's NOT a nutcase, and she's actually on our side.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 4:48 pm

beau99 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
nintendogurl1990 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Disgusting.

I've talked to her personally.

She's NOT a nutcase, and she's actually on our side.

How is she on our side?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 5:00 pm

I used to think me not being diagnosed until college was a bad thing, now I'm starting to wonder if it was a good thing only my ADHD and Dysgraphia was diagnosed when I was in elementry.