Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 4:55 pm

They work for me!

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 5:02 pm

May I also piggy-back this off your thread;

Don't Write Me Off - NAS campaign aiming to make the unemployment/employment/benefits system fairer for people with autism.

In all fairness it's not cuts that bother me, it's the underlying problems in the system and particularly those that effect us...

For example ESA, generally a load of utter bollocks, for aspies and autistic people in particular there is no criteria what-so-ever for us to be able to apply for ESA; only physical and mental health problems are considered, not neurological, and our disorder doesn't fit to strict rules about what we are capable of doing so ESA assessment is largely meaningless for us. Yet if we remain on JSA there's no support, even disability advisers seem clueless about our disorder or how it effects our ability to work or how it benefits employers, and we're easy targets to be booted off benefits if we're unable to do certain job or do certain things to find work.

It maddens/saddens me that I am not a dysfunctional NT but a high-functioning aspie, I'm equal to others, yet we're constantly facing prejudice and are made vulnerable by society, then support and benefits are cut-off from us...and no one seems to care, so few people put up a fight. I wrote to my MP about all this and all she did was send the letter to the job centre so I ended up facing more prejudice, she just didn't seem to grasp the point that we are being screwed-over.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 5:15 pm

Well i completely agree with you. Unfortunately the press has campaigned for years to misinform the average person on the street that all claimants are cheating scum so they are all now completely misinformed about the matter and it's these people who politcians have to answer to. I don't feel equal to NT's to be honest and i don't want to be treated as equal. I have my own needs and i need to be cared for.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 5:47 pm

Why do you not want to be treated as equal?
Everyone deserves a basic quality of life, basic rights, if you're not being treated equal then you are not having those needs of yours met or being cared for adequately, thus the point of such campaigns. We are being treated as unequal, worth less than NT's.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 7:04 pm

Most NT's are treated fairly shabbily. If you are asking for equal treatment with NT's regarding welfare claims then i expect the argument to be advanced that conditions be placed on our benefits to accept any job or else. I wanted to be treated better than that. I believe people with Aspergers are disabled and should be treated better than Nt's and treated in a comparable way to other disabled people. To be helped/ cosseted and looked after with the help of the welfare system. The average NT probably works a f*****g soul destroying job mopping floors a tescos or somewhere. That's one of the reasons he wants to see welfare claimants penalised. We dont need equal rights ,we need disability rights.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 8:32 pm

I think we're saying the same thing, just in a different way.

NT's shouldn't be treated shabbily either, we as people with asperger's can't live as NT's in an NT world so our problems can therefore mean we need as much support as any other person with a disability; the job centre should make reasonable adjustments for us, like a deaf person can't work in a call centre we aspies may not be able to work in customer facing roles.

If the system was perfect ALL people (NT's, aspies, and disabled) would get their individual needs met...as the system blows monkey balls it means no one does, and thus we HAVE to demand this because we can't be treat the same as NT's - it's not so much special treatment, or unequal treatment, but the treatment we should get. Period.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Feb 2011, 8:35 pm

I have given up trying to get a job as only scammers want to employ me.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 8:41 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
I think we're saying the same thing, just in a different way.

NT's shouldn't be treated shabbily either, we as people with asperger's can't live as NT's in an NT world so our problems can therefore mean we need as much support as any other person with a disability; the job centre should make reasonable adjustments for us, like a deaf person can't work in a call centre we aspies may not be able to work in customer facing roles.

If the system was perfect ALL people (NT's, aspies, and disabled) would get their individual needs met...as the system blows monkey balls it means no one does, and thus we HAVE to demand this because we can't be treat the same as NT's - it's not so much special treatment, or unequal treatment, but the treatment we should get. Period.

Yes we are. It angers me that people have to fight to be treated with common decency. I am riven with rage everytime i think about something political. I wish the world was a nicer place. At least NAS is working to support autistic people. In fact virtually every charity under the sun for people with disablities or mental health are opposed to welfare reform. That's one small blessing i guess. That somewhere someone is fighting me whilst my own government seeks to scapegoat me.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 9:33 pm

It is beyond depressing what's happening to everyone in this country right now, but yeah people with disabilities are getting it so much worse, it's disgusting. Plus point being that these replies are bumping this topic so it gets noticed more *fingers crossed* :)