Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 6:43 pm

Do you ever have people who get angry at you because you know too much about Autism? I mean, especially parents or NTs or whatever? I've actually lost friends because they thought I knew too much and considered me a know it all when I was only trying to tell them what its like...

I mean really, when you have autism, it doesn't make you an expert, it just means you know about the condition you have and are willing to teach those who are willing to understand, correct?

Has this ever happened to you before?

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 8:04 pm

Well, I usually find that people only want to hear about it if they ask for the information. Anything else would probably fall under preseveration on a topic only you are that interested in. They don't doubt what you know - they just aren't interested in knowing as much about it as you.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 11:57 pm

I do not educate people about autism. If someone asks I am not sure what to say. People say I have it but other then preferring how I do things and function in certain settings that is about it.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

01 Jun 2011, 9:16 pm

I only tell people who ask for information about it.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 9:24 pm

I'm a well known know-it-all with everything - it always baffles me that people dislike those who are knowledgeable, but I think it is more about how you show that knowledge, maybe you are trying to educate people too much or going about it the wrong way?

I generally act as I act, I let people know I'm AS if it comes up - if they need educating I will educate them and if they ask for information I give it - so far the only time I've ever felt someone has needed an education is with my colleges Autism Support Team...who seem not to understand autism too well as they seem to cut me out of any issues and so cause me more stress/anxiety :roll:

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.