Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Not earlier I was dealing with someone who was associating autism with bad handwriting because his children had it.

The very premise of confirmation bias is only seeing things in results that confirm your suspicions.

In peer reviewed research; if confirmation bias is found, the research is not accepted. The methodology in this research is sound and free of confirmation bias.

The association of poor handwriting and autism, is a commonly understood issue, that most people that have done any research on autism have heard about. It doesn't take the fact that a parent's childrens have autism and associated poor handwriting, to provide evidence for an issue, that is already backed up by scientific research, and free of confirmation bias.

LogoLuver1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

@aspie48,
I don't need your autism supremacy speeches infecting my threads. I'm just looking for answers, not treating NT's like dirt just because they treated me like one. :roll:

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 4:48 pm

aghogday wrote:
The association of poor handwriting and autism, is a commonly understood issue, that most people that have done any research on autism have heard about. It doesn't take the fact that a parent's childrens have autism and associated poor handwriting, to provide evidence for an issue, that is already backed up by scientific research, and free of confirmation bias.

With regard to the "parent," that parent was me. What I had said, in another unrelated thread, was that poor handwriting is common, and only used myself and my kids as an example. Not as proof. I never stated that poor handwriting was a symptom of Autism, but I do agree it is associated. Associated doesn't mean causation or 100% necessary. It just means it's common, which it is. I think most of us already know this is true.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 7:01 pm

MrXxx wrote:
aghogday wrote:

With regard to the "parent," that parent was me. What I had said, in another unrelated thread, was that poor handwriting is common, and only used myself and my kids as an example. Not as proof. I never stated that poor handwriting was a symptom of Autism, but I do agree it is associated. Associated doesn't mean causation or 100% necessary. It just means it's common, which it is. I think most of us already know this is true.

Yes, it was clear in your post that you were just using your children and yourself as examples, you suggested a para-educator could be asked to confirm it. There was no indication that you were using your children as confirmation bias that poor handwriting was associated with autism.

Motor skills delays, and motor clumsiness are official symptoms of Aspergers per the ICD10 and Gilsberg Criteria for Aspergers. Scientists have suggested that fine motor skills problems may be what is behind the problems with poor handwriting that is commonly seen in individuals with Autism and Aspergers. Along with this factor handwriting problems in adolscence has been suggested to be related to measures of perceptual reasoning.

I find that to be pretty interesting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21079184

Quote:
RESULTS: We found that adolescents with ASD, like children, show overall worse performance on a handwriting task than do age- and intelligence-matched controls. Also comparable to children, adolescents with ASD showed motor impairments relative to controls. However, adolescents with ASD differ from children in that Perceptual Reasoning Indices were significantly predictive of handwriting performance whereas measures of motor skills were not.

CONCLUSIONS: Like children with ASD, adolescents with ASD have poor handwriting quality relative to controls. Despite still demonstrating motor impairments, in adolescents perceptual reasoning is the main predictor of handwriting performance, perhaps reflecting subjects' varied abilities to learn strategies to compensate for their motor impairments

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 5:22 am

People out there still don't know it's a spectrum and it ranges from mild to severe and traits of can range from mild to severe no matter how severe your autism is. Like you can be great with typing and expressing yourself through words and still be severe. They may not realize you can appear normal and not seem autistic.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 12:12 pm

LogoLuver1 wrote:
@aspie48,
I don't need your autism supremacy speeches infecting my threads. I'm just looking for answers, not treating NT's like dirt just because they treated me like one. :roll:

well thats my answer. if you find a better way to deal with NTs then tell me.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

LogoLuver1 wrote:
@aspie48,
where exacty did so called autism supremacy infect your thread.not sure i see the point in the hostile response.i looks like bait to start a fight

LogoLuver1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Nov 2011, 5:40 pm

@aspie48,
I don't need your autism supremacy speeches infecting my threads. I'm just looking for answers, not treating NT's like dirt just because they treated me like one.
where exacty did so called autism supremacy infect your thread.not sure i see the point in the hostile response.i looks like bait to start a fight
I was saying that because in previous posts, he has made insults about NT's, and said we are better than them. Autism supremacy is one of my biggest pet peeves, maybe even more so than ableism/NT supremacy. If he wasn't so harsh toward NT's and not say all or a vast majority of NT's are like this or that, maybe I'll be more welcome to him. Not being mean, but I'm very annoyed at all the talk of autism and evolution going on on this site.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 6:35 pm

I actually gave up autism supremacy a long time ago. if i change then you still hate me? i changed in response to people on here. and if you want to stop hearing from me i would suggest keeping the personal attacks low. because i sort of have to reply when you call me out or spread rumors that i've gone back to supremacist thinking.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 2:58 pm

aspie48 wrote:
a vast majority of NTs are just like that. they are trying to tear the autism community apart. don't let it happen.

I can see how someone might associate a comment like this with Autistic supremacy, but it would have to either be put together with previous comments, or the idea extrapolated somehow. Taken only on these words alone, I don't see Autism supremacy, but I don't agree that most NT's are like this either. Most NT's don't even think about Autism all that often, and don't have any reason to care. But then, that's just my opinion based on no more or less than this comment is based on.

aspie48 wrote:
we must support our lower functioning bretheren even when people try to turn us against them.

And...

there goes the thought of Autistic supremacy. *POOF!*

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:01 pm

aspie48 wrote:
a vast majority of NTs are just like that. they are trying to tear the autism community apart. don't let it happen. we must support our lower functioning bretheren even when people try to turn us against them.

What support do you want for them? What would solve their problems?

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

dalurker wrote:
aspie48 wrote:
a vast majority of NTs are just like that. they are trying to tear the autism community apart. don't let it happen. we must support our lower functioning bretheren even when people try to turn us against them.

mostly just if they are random strangers to stay out of my problems. and if they want to help to give their time to something that actually helps us.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:12 pm

aspie48 wrote:
dalurker wrote:
aspie48 wrote:

mostly just if they are random strangers to stay out of my problems. and if they want to help to give their time to something that actually helps us.

I don't get what you mean. What would you and the others do to support your lower functioning "bretheren"?

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 5:25 pm

well if i ever get a lot of money i'll figure that out. and if someone makes a charity i can agree with ill donate my time and money to it.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 5:45 pm

aspie48 wrote:
well if i ever get a lot of money i'll figure that out. and if someone makes a charity i can agree with ill donate my time and money to it.

Have you checked into other non-profit organizations that help autistic people; last time I checked there were here were over 2000, on the guidestar.org website, a watchdog group that monitors non-profit organizations that help autistic people and all types of other worthy causes. So far the only one's I've really heard about on the wrongplanet website are ASAN and Autism Speaks.

If you check out that guidestar.org site, it will bring up all the organizations in your area associated with Autism. There could be a good one in your immediate area, that you may not be aware of, that is potentially doing things you could agree one hundred percent with, that might be able to use volunteers to assist them in their efforts.

The research that Autism Speaks does, is very expensive, but there are many ways these smaller organizations help and provide support for autistic individuals across the spectrum; there are thousands of volunteers already working in that effort, that have nothing to do with Autism Speaks.

When I checked out the site, I found a smaller organization, that helps autistic people, that raised 4 million dollars last year, 20 miles from where I live. I had no idea, they existed until I checked the organizations in my area with the guidestar.org site.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

aghogday wrote:
aspie48 wrote:

Have you checked into other non-profit organizations that help autistic people; last time I checked there were here were over 2000, on the guidestar.org website, a watchdog group that monitors non-profit organizations that help autistic people and all types of other worthy causes. So far the only one's I've really heard about on the wrongplanet website are ASAN and Autism Speaks.

If you check out that guidestar.org site, it will bring up all the organizations in your area associated with Autism. There could be a good one in your immediate area, that you may not be aware of, that is potentially doing things you could agree one hundred percent with, that might be able to use volunteers to assist them in their efforts.

The research that Autism Speaks does, is very expensive, but there are many ways these smaller organizations help and provide support for autistic individuals across the spectrum; there are thousands of volunteers already working in that effort, that have nothing to do with Autism Speaks.

When I checked out the site, I found a smaller organization, that helps autistic people, that raised 4 million dollars last year, 20 miles from where I live. I had no idea, they existed until I checked the organizations in my area with the guidestar.org site.
thank you.