Page 5 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Quazar
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2012, 3:24 am

i'm not going to make any judgement on whether a cure is good or not until i fully understand its effects (the cure)

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 9:23 am

Rhinox wrote:
Hardship does not equal wrong.

I never said someone was wrong for being autistic.

Rhinox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Dec 2012, 10:14 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
Rhinox wrote:

Quote:
Yes and No. Try telling that to the parents who are home bound because their kids can't handle going out the front door. I'm sure they will agree there is nothing wrong at all...

Yes, you did.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 10:32 pm

Rhinox wrote:
thewhitrbbit wrote:
Rhinox wrote:

Quote:
Yes and No. Try telling that to the parents who are home bound because their kids can't handle going out the front door. I'm sure they will agree there is nothing wrong at all...

Yes, you did.

He was saying theres something wrong with the situation, not the person with Autism.

On the disease thing though they recently found a fault in a protein called Shank3 in children with more severe Autism, that may count as disease by the definition.

MrPickles
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2012, 7:34 pm

One point to note here ---- "Drug treatment" and "cure" are two very different things -

Above someone was saying that a cure was needed because in the case of some form of disaster aids (crutches) Could become unavailable -- may I point out that drug treatment is susceptible to the same problems even if it were to work well with reasonable side effects. There are a multitude of problems that could cut a person off from their supply of the drug - thus rendering them back into their disabled state.
And yes, like alternate communication methods - it might be worth doing for low functioning Autistics.

A cure on the other hand would make the condition go away and never come back. - AND that is not going to happen in our life time. As far as I have been able to find - we cannot cure even just one of the single gene flaw condition. So for something like Asperger's or HFA the chance of anything approaching a cure is so far beyond what we are doing now that there is no chance that a "cure" will be possible.

So if you are high functioning or mid functioning - stop waiting for a cure - figure out what you like to do - what makes you happy - figure out a way to do it - and start doing it ----- ie: LIVE!! ! Live for today!

PS - a treatment method (therapy or education) may well help people deal with their problems and still work during disasters - and so are preferable to drug treatments - especially for high functioning individuals!

Found on http://jacobbarnett.org/ -- If you are suffering from Autism - you're doing it wrong!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:28 am

MrPickles wrote:

So if you are high functioning or mid functioning - stop waiting for a cure - figure out what you like to do - what makes you happy - figure out a way to do it - and start doing it ----- ie: LIVE!! ! Live for today!

just because one hopes for a cure doesnt mean they are not working to improve there life

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

06 Dec 2012, 3:06 am

Quote:
Please do not find this offensive, but ASD is a disease and diseases should be cured. We are ill and need help, no different then someone with bipolar or some other illness.

Not sure I'd use the word disease, but even a high-functioning ASD is more debilitating than other "conditions" that are undoubtedly diseases. I tend to think my ASD makes it as hard to date as it would be if I were NT and had Herpes. About as hard to get a job and have normal friends as being deaf ...

Quote:
There is no question that a cure for autism of any spectrum could be a good thing. There are many people, many children who are locked inside their own mind with no way of communicating with the outside world. They are, in every aspect, prisoners in their own minds and we, not just as a group here but as a people in a whole, should do all we can to help them.

I don't think you have any idea what it's like to speak late. Even though I am now high-functioning and have a normal job, etc, I, in a way, feel trapped in my own mind and can't communicate with the outside world. 80% of communication is nonverbal. And I cannot communicate with other people. Is this who I am? No one knows who I am, or what I feel. Although my face has few expressions and I cannot communicate emotions, the rest of the world just has no idea that, behind all this, there is a real human being with real emotions, thoughts, feelings, desires, and fears. If you punch me or insult me, it actually hurts. Most NT's would probably be surprised to know that I'm actually human.

But they can never know because everything is behind an invisible glass wall that is transparent only from the inside . Is this who I am? Are my extreme anxiety and depression caused by ASD also "just who I am"? I certainly hope not.

How is a visual processing difficulty and an impairment in the part of the brain that understands human emotions an identity and not a disorder? Especially since it may be caused by toxins or injuries?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 8:14 am

Tyri0n wrote:

Not sure I'd use the word disease, but even a high-functioning ASD is more debilitating than other "conditions" that are undoubtedly diseases. I tend to think my ASD makes it as hard to date as it would be if I were NT and had Herpes. About as hard to get a job and have normal friends as being deaf ...

If there were as many Aspie females as males the problem would not be so great. But it turns out there are 9 Aspie males for every Aspir female. Therein lies the problem.

BTW I am not giving up the term Aspie and I do not care what DSM-V says.

ruveyn

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

Aspertastic424 wrote:
I have no problem with diversity. Its just I couldnt help but thinking as I watched him sort of sing to himself and repeat the questions he was asked, would he be better off if he was cured?

How do you know he doesn't enjoy living in his own little world? Something for you all to think about...

:?:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 3:31 pm

I lived in my own world for eight years of my life before I became verbal and communicative, and I was really happy living in my own world. I have often wished to go back, although I am glad that I learned language and communication and social interaction. But I did not feel trapped in a miserable eggsistence in my shell, frustrated about my inability to reach out and touch another (sob sob sob, sarcasm). I felt fine playing with my blocks and rocking back and forth in the middle of the room (not in the corner).

Rhinox

06 Dec 2012, 3:47 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Quote:
Please do not find this offensive, but ASD is a disease and diseases should be cured. We are ill and need help, no different then someone with bipolar or some other illness.

Quote:
There is no question that a cure for autism of any spectrum could be a good thing. There are many people, many children who are locked inside their own mind with no way of communicating with the outside world. They are, in every aspect, prisoners in their own minds and we, not just as a group here but as a people in a whole, should do all we can to help them.

I don't think you have any idea what it's like to speak late. Even though I am now high-functioning and have a normal job, etc, I, in a way, feel trapped in my own mind and can't communicate with the outside world. 80% of communication is nonverbal. And I cannot communicate with other people. Is this who I am? No one knows who I am, or what I feel. Although my face has few expressions and I cannot communicate emotions, the rest of the world just has no idea that, behind all this, there is a real human being with real emotions, thoughts, feelings, desires, and fears. If you punch me or insult me, it actually hurts. Most NT's would probably be surprised to know that I'm actually human.

But they can never know because everything is behind an invisible glass wall that is transparent only from the inside . Is this who I am? Are my extreme anxiety and depression caused by ASD also "just who I am"? I certainly hope not.

How is a visual processing difficulty and an impairment in the part of the brain that understands human emotions an identity and not a disorder? Especially since it may be caused by toxins or injuries?

I must confess my ignorance to never hearing about any form of autism that is caused by toxins or injury.
As far as the rest of your statement, I invite you to reread my entire post as I feel I cover that pretty well.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2012, 5:30 pm

I don't think that the idea of a "cure" as such has been fully thought out. People who have mental illnesses have times when they appear normal, and that 'normal' is the goal in treatment. When people say that they what a bipolar loved one cured, they mean that they wish he or she never had mood fluctuations.

If you say you want to cure autism, for some that means you want to fundamentally change who they are, unless they honestly see times when it's 'there' and times when it isn't.

For others the outlook is more grim-being "trapped in the mind" is a common explanation, but probably inaccurate. If mild autism is a small deviation from the norm, severe autism is probably a large deviation from the norm. Who knows what kind of mind is really trapped in there? Is it more cruel to let it out, only to be judged harshly by a world it's only beginning to understand?

As for my personal take, I've struggled with it philosophically for a while. I'm pretty sure a less autistic version of myself would be more successful in almost every regard, so even if it wasn't "me," so I suppose it'd be my duty to cede my place in the universe to him. But actually given the choice, I'm not sure I'd be able to overcome my sense of self-preservation.

Rhinox

07 Dec 2012, 2:03 am

The end of the autistic spectrum where we Aspies live is one where our condition is defined by the very way we think, judge, and interact with this world. It colors our perceptions, its presence is felt in every judgement we make. We know no other way to live because we've always thought this way. This is how we function. Our condition is not the defining part of us, it is what colors our definition of the world. We see through the spectrum of our own minds and react accordingly. To "cure" that is to literally change the fundamental nature of how we view this world, how we interact with it. It would take our spectrum and replace it with something new, something alien to us. How could any of us be the same were such a thing to happen? How could we not, on some level, be destroyed by such an act?

to advocate a cure for autism is to advocate for our removal. We would not be the same afterwards. I think I am good enough. It is too bad for the world if it disagrees.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 4:56 am

Rhinox wrote:
The end of the autistic spectrum where we Aspies live is one where our condition is defined by the very way we think, judge, and interact with this world. It colors our perceptions, its presence is felt in every judgement we make. We know no other way to live because we've always thought this way. This is how we function. Our condition is not the defining part of us, it is what colors our definition of the world. We see through the spectrum of our own minds and react accordingly.

That is unsubstantiated.
Rhinox wrote:
To "cure" that is to literally change the fundamental nature of how we view this world, how we interact with it. It would take our spectrum and replace it with something new, something alien to us. How could any of us be the same were such a thing to happen? How could we not, on some level, be destroyed by such an act?
to advocate a cure for autism is to advocate for our removal. We would not be the same afterwards.

As above.
Rhinox you cannot know these things. No-one has created any treatments for Autism yet, and so we do not know what or how they will affect people. And your assumption that a persons Autism is intrinsically related to their identity and way of thinking - well that is only your opinion.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Dec 2012, 8:45 am

nostromo wrote:
Rhinox wrote:
The end of the autistic spectrum where we Aspies live is one where our condition is defined by the very way we think, judge, and interact with this world. It colors our perceptions, its presence is felt in every judgement we make. We know no other way to live because we've always thought this way. This is how we function. Our condition is not the defining part of us, it is what colors our definition of the world. We see through the spectrum of our own minds and react accordingly.

That is unsubstantiated.

Because apparently autistic people are not able to actually describe what it's like to be autistic, and what it means to be autistic. Clearly, these things must be interpreted for us by experts and NTs.

nostromo wrote:
Rhinox you cannot know these things. No-one has created any treatments for Autism yet, and so we do not know what or how they will affect people. And your assumption that a persons Autism is intrinsically related to their identity and way of thinking - well that is only your opinion.

I don't think it's really "only Rhinox' opinion" and I would suggest that not being autistic yourself, it's not as if your perspective on what it's like to be autistic (as opposed to what it's like to have an autistic person in your life) is particularly compelling. Why do you think you need to tell autistics that we're wrong about what it's like for us to be autistic? Or that it's only our "opinions" or that it's "unsubstantiated." Why discount what autistics say about ourselves and tell us that these are just opinions?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 10:07 am

nostromo wrote:
Rhinox wrote:

That is unsubstantiated.
Rhinox wrote:
To "cure" that is to literally change the fundamental nature of how we view this world, how we interact with it. It would take our spectrum and replace it with something new, something alien to us. How could any of us be the same were such a thing to happen? How could we not, on some level, be destroyed by such an act?
to advocate a cure for autism is to advocate for our removal. We would not be the same afterwards.

As above.

Um. Yeah. It is also the overwhelming opinion of autistics who speak for themselves on Wrong Planet. As you admit in your profile, you are not autistic, while Rhinox is. To start telling one of us what it is to be one of us, especially in a forum created specifically for autistics, would be kind of like attending a musician's convention not being a musician yourself, and start lecturing them about what it's like to live as a musician.

If you're going to do that, it should not be surprising if you end up on the receiving end of a nasty backlash.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...