Could ppl w/ Aspergers win elections? Would we want them to?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Could we see electoral victors with Aspergers?
Yeah! One day we'll see a president with Aspergers! 44%  44%  [ 19 ]
Not for president, but maybe Congress? 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
National office is out, but local elections could work 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
No, but it would be great if we could 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
No, and it's better that way 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Not sure 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 43

yamato_rena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2013, 11:02 pm

Looking back over the past two presidential campaigns, it's really difficult for me to see any way for someone with Aspergers to weather the fundraising, the media, the gladhanding, etc. And then afterward you need to build relationships with all the lawmakers and stuff. It just seems to require a lot of stuff that is particularly difficult for people with autism. Same with legislators. It's a shame in my opinion, though, especially on the legislative front, because you really need people who can obsess over the details of their subject areas when debating policy. Eh, maybe I'm just talking nonsense, though. What do other people think?

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2013, 11:24 pm

While an aspie politician would certainly be a nice change of pace, I just don't see it happening. Like you said, I think the social demands would simply be too much. I also very highly doubt that an aspie could manage to pander to voters well enough to get enough votes to win.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 11:32 pm

Oh, I think we've already had a couple of presidents on the spectrum.

Now, a candidate who is out of the closet on the Asperger's-Autism Spectrum, similar to gay rights, this may be a somewhat different matter.

yamato_rena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2013, 11:56 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Oh, I think we've already had a couple of presidents on the spectrum.

Now, a candidate who is out of the closet on the Asperger's-Autism Spectrum, similar to gay rights, this may be a somewhat different matter.

Really? Which ones do you think were on the spectrum?

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2013, 4:28 pm

I have asked the question if anybody on WP has contested a public election and it seems that nobody has

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt242118.html

purplefeet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2013, 4:35 pm

It has been suggested that one of our recent Prime Ministers (in the UK) was on the autism spectrum.

I think (whether he is or not) it is important to note that he did not win an election, but inherited the job from a social expert. I can't imagine him actually doing enough of the schmoozing to have got there on his own. However, I found it refreshing to have a politician who wasn't a salesman.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 1:00 am

already happened,Thomas Jefferson and dont forget what world leader ever had more raw power than Losif Stalin who won the most important battle of world war 2.
because had stalin and kruzchev not secured the eastern front the americans and british could not have stormed the beaches at normandy

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2013, 8:40 am

I think someone with low functioning autism would win. I don't know why.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 6:49 am

Politics requires a certain degree of pandering that I know I am incapable of and feel that others would have a hard time with too... I think an Aspie would make a great politician, though, just because of the propensity for honesty, hard work and focus!

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 6:52 am

vermontsavant wrote:
already happened,Thomas Jefferson and dont forget what world leader ever had more raw power than Losif Stalin who won the most important battle of world war 2.
because had stalin and kruzchev not secured the eastern front the americans and british could not have stormed the beaches at normandy

True... But these people had to contend with a very different kind of media exposure. One faux paux today would get memed or gifed or go viral very quickly :?

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:55 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

Thomas Jefferson? We cannot diagnose a dead person... period.

I address that HERE...

NEtikiman wrote:
True... But these people had to contend with a very different kind of media exposure. One faux paux today would get memed or gifed or go viral very quickly :?

How is that different from now?

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 11:34 pm

If one did I'd feel sorry for him/her. Seems like a horrible job for an aspie, right up there with telemarketing. It's all about social skills as far as I can see.

Besides, we don't need to win elections to have a voice, just vote - or at least where elections aren't rigged. :roll:

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 11:39 pm

Nonperson wrote:
If one did I'd feel sorry for him/her. Seems like a horrible job for an aspie, right up there with telemarketing. It's all about social skills as far as I can see.

Besides, we don't need to win elections to have a voice, just vote - or at least where elections aren't rigged. :roll:

I am actually running for president

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 5:02 am

Crunching the poll numbers and research for the President seems like more suitable jobs.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 12:56 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Crunching the poll numbers and research for the President seems like more suitable jobs.

I dunno... I really think that this country could benefit from the brutal honesty of an aspie in office

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 12:27 am

Feralucce wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I dunno... I really think that this country could benefit from the brutal honesty of an aspie in office

I'm inclined to agree with you. It would be great to have a President who values logic over mind games, accuracy over spin, fairness over whatever-they-call-this-mess-we've-got.

An Aspie President would need a really, really GREAT executive secretary-- or to be one of those anally-retentive, highly organized Aspies (which I am not, to so great a degree I don't even get it-- chaos only bothers me when I start thinking about judgment-- I LIKE chaos, making life up minute-by-minute, it makes me feel free and alive-- I am one of those moms who LIVE for school vacations, even if we piss it all away eating popcorn and playing board games in front of the tube-- more than loose structure feels like a straight jacket).

I don't think people would go for it, though. An Aspie candidate would have to hire a bunch of great speech writers and have lessons in stage presence-- because it's NOT about who would make the best leader. Our politicians ARE leaders-- or lawmakers, anyway, as I question how much they really lead any more (I think they're mostly mouthpieces for the big lobbies and the superwealthy at this point). The problem is that people don't want honesty-- they want to think of themselves as wanting honesty, but what they really want is pretty half-truths and twisted spin that they can CALL HONEST. A candidate would have to at least play to that to get into office-- and THEN draw a hard line and be very, very brutally honest.

Good luck with it-- hey, I'll take a look at your platform and if it's not diametrically opposed to my beliefs, I'll write you in. I might write you in even if it is-- I can't be a Democrat any more, I can't bring myself to vote Republican, I can't be a Libertarian 'cause laissez-faire gave us the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire and the mine wars and I don't want to revisit THAT in 50 years, I can't be a Green because I've met too many environmentalists who are eugenicists... Even if I hate what you stand for, I might vote for you just 'cause I believe you are honest.