Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 4:02 pm

Resource for us: http://psychrights.org/

While most neuro/psych professionals do their best to administer services, there is a proportion who are motivated by their own interests.

I've met so many amazing 'on the spectrum' individuals via the Wrong Planet. At the same time, so many of us are wrongly harmed by misguided neuro/psych professionals. Children who are diagnosed far too early, parents who are duped into drugging them unnecessarily, and more. Some therapeutic abuses range from relatively mild to downright horrific. Aspies can be especially vulnerable, and I have made the mistake of being far too trusting.

I rarely post in Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation, but this is applicable. If you have been hurt by such, or know someone who has, this is an excellent resource: http://psychrights.org/

MegaBass
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2014, 4:31 pm

Can you explain how they can be diagnosed too early?

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 5:15 pm

By consensus, 'on the spectrum' individuals, most specifically Aspies, are really not diagnosable with any accuracy by or before age 3. Further, many reputable diagnosticians are not confident in diagnosing before pre-school/kinder years, age 5 or 6. There is considerable normal developmental variation and it is premature to misconstrue such as autism. Diagnosing a baby less than 6 months old simply makes no sense.

Oh, the video on the site investigates psychiatrists who are prescribing neuroleptics to newborn babies!

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 6:27 pm

LabPet wrote:
By consensus, 'on the spectrum' individuals, most specifically Aspies, are really not diagnosable with any accuracy by or before age 3. Further, many reputable diagnosticians are not confident in diagnosing before pre-school/kinder years, age 5 or 6. There is considerable normal developmental variation and it is premature to misconstrue such as autism. Diagnosing a baby less than 6 months old simply makes no sense.

Oh, the video on the site investigates psychiatrists who are prescribing neuroleptics to newborn babies!

This is a disgusting practice. It's one reason I never read the Parents boards. I was somewhere around age 8 when I became aware that I was somehow different from other children.
It occurs to me that some diagnosticians go around bragging about their expertise and how many Aspies they have diagnosed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 2:26 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
It occurs to me that some diagnosticians go around bragging about their expertise and how many Aspies they have diagnosed.

I have never seen that. I have seen a psychologist who was on the DSM brag about "undiagnosing" 90% of his clients and never diagnosing anybody who has a secretary. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... onger.html. If this site is a representative example a lot of therapists agree with Dr Siegel.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 7:31 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
LabPet wrote:

This is a disgusting practice. It's one reason I never read the Parents boards. I was somewhere around age 8 when I became aware that I was somehow different from other children.

That's for sure! Diagnosing, and then consequent inappropriate drugging, might be an industry in an of itself. Unfortunately, these practices do not serve those who are on the spectrum.

MegaBass
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2014, 10:31 am

LabPet wrote:

I see. Yes the meds thing with newborns is sickining.