Page 17 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Well, is it immoral?
Yes, it is 60%  60%  [ 59 ]
No, it isn't 40%  40%  [ 40 ]
Total votes : 99

riley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2014, 6:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
riley wrote:
It really is clear to me that some people have absolutely NO comprehension as to how severe autism can be. I agree with accepting people with ASD,. I agree with accepting anyone with disabilities for that matter but to deliberately create disability without warning the mothers that their child may need extra support is selfish..

I think there is a certain naivety here as well. Charloz and his supporters perhaps don't see the genetic risk but the probability of an Aspie giving rise to a severely autistic child who requires 24 hour care is much higher than for an NT. They perhaps look at this through rose coloured glasses and imagine a child no worse than themselves.

The point is no NT parent would voluntarily risk having a severely autistic child. I'm guessing Charloz would not be very popular with the mother if that was the outcome.

Yes severe autism is a major concern.. but just having HFA is not just a "difference" for some. I don't quite understand why people are accepting the diagnosis in the first place if they consider it to be just a creed like race. I know that some kids with HFA can really struggle and do need therapies to help them as early as possible.. I fear that his kids may miss out on help without that vital information.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 8:08 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
There is no evidence to support that. The data you are using cannot and has not been linked in such a way as to be relevant to Charloz's situation.

It's true the genetics of autism is poorly understood.
However twin studies have provided fairly good reliable predictive risk assessment of having an autistic child.
According to the research it also appears that autism occurs more frequently than would be expected among the close relatives of individuals with Asperger syndrome. Therefore the evidence from twin and family studies suggests that autism and Asperger syndrome cluster in the same families and are genetically related.
Sorry to burst your bubble

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 8:19 pm

riley wrote:
but just having HFA is not just a "difference" for some. I don't quite understand why people are accepting the diagnosis in the first place if they consider it to be just a creed like race. I know that some kids with HFA can really struggle and do need therapies to help them as early as possible.. I fear that his kids may miss out on help without that vital information.

Yes this is painfully obvious to everyone who has children with HFA. My daughter is very high functioning in terms of intelligence but I would never want to put any parent through what we have been through in terms of her self-harm, meltdowns, communcation/social problems and reliance on medication.

As usual its Aspies who've never had to look after an autistic child projecting their views. Charloz and his cheer squad seem to blissfully under the impression that NT parents should be knocking down doors to have a HFA child!!

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 8:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
There is no evidence to support that. The data you are using cannot and has not been linked in such a way as to be relevant to Charloz's situation.

It's true the genetics of autism is poorly understood.
However twin studies have provided fairly good reliable predictive risk assessment of having an autistic child.
According to the research it also appears that autism occurs more frequently than would be expected among the close relatives of individuals with Asperger syndrome. Therefore the evidence from twin and family studies suggests that autism and Asperger syndrome cluster in the same families and are genetically related.
Sorry to burst your bubble

So, you ignore the flaw in the study that prevents it from being properly used for Charloz's scenario. I have given in great detail the explanation as to why they cannot relate. In fact, what you say does nothing more than reaffirm what I said.
You seem not to understand me, or else you wouldn't have needed that underlining. I fully admitted that there is a large chance of autism and aspergers in families that have a history of autism and aspergers. That is not in dispute. What is in dispute is that if someone with aspergers or autism is born in a family without a history of the disorder, is it likely that a cluster will suddenly appear clustered for all subsequent generations. You seem to take this as a claim that there is no genetic link, but I never said that. Rather, I fully supported the genetic cause, but dismissed the application of the studies mentioned in this specific scenario on the grounds that a study hasn't been done on people on the spectrum who have come from families that do not have any prior cases of the spectrum. Those like that are much rarer, and so have not been studied. For all we know, that rarer part of the spectrum might be a trait that only occurs, for example, once every two hundred years, in that lineage. All you have done is restated the evidence I dismissed and then claim that I my reasoning is based on autism not being genetic in nature.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 8:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
riley wrote:
but just having HFA is not just a "difference" for some. I don't quite understand why people are accepting the diagnosis in the first place if they consider it to be just a creed like race. I know that some kids with HFA can really struggle and do need therapies to help them as early as possible.. I fear that his kids may miss out on help without that vital information.

As usual its Aspies who've never had to look after an autistic child projecting their views. Charloz and his cheer squad seem to blissfully under the impression that NT parents should be knocking down doors to have a HFA child!!

Making assumptions and belittling your opposition, thanks. Because we disagree with you, we must be ignorant fools who have no connections with anyone on other parts of the spectrum. You don't know much, if anything about my family, or even who I have lived with and you assume that I've never had to look after an HFA child. You assume this, because you assume that if we had then we would instantly know the alleged follies in our reasoning. Well, that's BS>

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 9:15 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
WelcomeToHolland wrote:
Charloz wrote:
I?ve always thought about the possibility of passing on a more severe form of autism then my own. I read in several replies that often mildly autistic parents carry these genes with them as they may have less high functioning relatives somewhere in their family trees. My own family tree, however, only has a few people one would qualify as ?eccentric?. What used to be eccentric, now has become Aspergers. There is no history of mental retardation or severe autism in my family so unless it runs in the families of the women I donated too, the children will at most be mildly autistic, at best NT.

That's not how it works- of course you can have a child with severe autism even without having a history of it. It's astonishing to me that you know you're donating ASD genes but if the child ends up on the severe end of the spectrum, that can't be because of you. You're just too great to produce an "inferior" child, eh? 8O

Actually, it is you that who is wrong with your assumptions on genetics. Severe, disabling, autism is linked to being autistic with a low traditional IQ. IQ is very largely a genetic trait. If there is no history of intellectual disability in his family history, then statistically his children will be higher functioning (whether classic, asperger, or atypical/NOS.)
The chances of him having a severely autistic child, based on what he has said about his family history, are extremely negligible unless intellectual disability or severe autism is on the other side of the family and then, his genes are likely to decrease the chance rather than increase the chance of the intellectual disability. This is caused by the dominant genes. The chances of him producing a severely autistic child are is only slightly more probable than two NT's having a severely autistic child and the chance of him producing an intellectually disabled child is equal to that of two NT's with average and/or above-average intelligence. Based on the family history he has shared,
Secondly, since there is no record beyond of autism in Charloz family besides Charloz himself, it is highly improbable he will produce a severely autistic child. Why? Is because while genes are passed from child to adult, genes can also pass from grandparent to grandchild, skipping a generation of activation. For example: the balding gene is almost always a trait passed on by your grandfather on your mother's side. With the extreme lack of knowledge concerning how genes relate to autism, your assertion is pure hubris.

To substantiate yourself, you take Charloz entirely out of context for the sake of your own moral "superiority." You have attacked the person of Charloz by claiming he has a sense of superiority and that he would carry it to his own child if it turned out to have an intellectual disability.
He gave a good and rational explanation based on solid genetics for why he considered the risks as minimal as compared to average couples and compared to others with autism.
Yet, you perceive this as (possibly misogynistic) arrogance, because that is all you wish to see.

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
1. I don't think it's necessary to quote everything the person says if it's unrelated. That just takes up loads of room for no reason- if anyone wants to what else he said, they can always scroll back.. I did not change the meaning of his quote.

No, you didn't change the meaning of the quotes, you misinterpreted the quotes.
WelcomeToHolland wrote:
2. He has repeatedly stated he's doing this because he doesn't want autism to die out, so presumably he wants an autistic child (how else would this result in it not dying out?). Yet he alsostates that if he has a child with severe autism, it's the mother's fault, not his. So in conclusion, he doesn't want a severely autistic child (it doesn't fit his scheme of what he's trying to produce), and he won't take responsibility that his genes could have resulted in that. What other conclusion can be drawn?

Logically, dozens of other conclusions, or maybe hundreds or thousands. His statements are disconnected. Most of his statements are responses to questions asked of him. You have arbitrarily connected those statements how you see fit and erroneously think that is the only way they can fit.
WelcomeToHolland wrote:
3. If we don't know how autism is inherited, how are you so confident in how severe autism is inherited? How are you so confident it's not inherited the same way and just varies in how much it's expressed?
I happen to know several families where there was no history of severe autism who produced severely autistic children. And they produce more of them than the average population. Take us for example: we have 2/2 severe autism and there's no severe autism in either of our families, but there is Aspergers. Therefore I know it's not true that you must have history of severe autism to have a severely autistic child (or be more likely to have one).

Did they have history of diagnosable mild autism? If they did, then that evidence doesn't relate. How does this even relate to a case where someone is the first case of autism in their family?
I have explained in length a major theory to explain sever autism and how it relates. I have explained the difference between the normal hereditary situation and the Charloz case. How does a firstborn autistic person in a lineage get that autism.
Your fallacy is taking my argument which focused on a very narrow scenario, and blowing it up to try to encompass all scenarios. I simply stated that the appearance of autism in an extremely NT lineage has not been scientifically explored enough to be forced into an morality argument.
WelcomeToHolland wrote:
4. I do not agree that IQ tests are accurate for testing the intelligence of severely autistic individuals, and I don't agree that severe autism is severe just due to IQ below 70. I also don't agree that intellectual disability is laregly passed on from family members- lots of cases of severe intellectual disability are caused by things like abnormalities in chromosome separation (trisomies), brain damage in utero or during birthing process, etc.

I don't see how this relates. I fully (although admittedly not clearly) stated my agreement that severely autistic individuals are smarter than the tests can tell. However, the tests do show a difference in thinking patterns from the norm and normality is the difference between autism and NT. Psychology in the realms of clinics and therapies is a mere pseudoscience, rarely do they perform empirical standards for a diagnosis, rather it is based on subjective tests and interviews. Subjective normality is the standard, variation and difference is the pathology.

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
5. He asked if his actions are morally wrong. I think they are. If he didn't want to hear that, he shouldn't have asked. (I actually don't know why he asked because he obviously doesn't give a s**t, but the fact of the matter is, he asked). That doesn't mean I'm morally superior in general- we're talking about one very specific issue here...

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
You're just too great to produce an "inferior" child, eh?

Those quotation marks is what made me suspect an attitude of moral supremacy. Whenever I see quotation marks around a single word or phrase used for a biased summary of someone else's views, it is typically a sign of mockery and derision. I am sorry if I misinterpreted that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 9:44 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
riley wrote:

Making assumptions and belittling your opposition, thanks. Because we disagree with you, we must be ignorant fools who have no connections with anyone on other parts of the spectrum. You don't know much, if anything about my family, or even who I have lived with and you assume that I've never had to look after an HFA child. You assume this, because you assume that if we had then we would instantly know the alleged follies in our reasoning. Well, that's BS>

True, I don't know "your" history, Charloz certainly has stated he's never been a father before...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 9:56 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
I fully supported the genetic cause, but dismissed the application of the studies mentioned in this specific scenario on the grounds that a study hasn't been done on people on the spectrum who have come from families that do not have any prior cases of the spectrum. Those like that are much rarer, and so have not been studied. For all we know, that rarer part of the spectrum might be a trait that only occurs, for example, once every two hundred years, in that lineage. All you have done is restated the evidence I dismissed and then claim that I my reasoning is based on autism not being genetic in nature.

A few things that are not in dispute
- Autism traits are heritable
- there is no dispute among medical professionals that the risk of autism is higher if one parent has autism or Aspergers
- Given this risk factor no sane mother would voluntarily accept sperm from a person with Aspergers
I assume we can agree on the above

I am not sure what you mean by "rarer" part of spectrum? if you check the statistics the proportion of all autistic people with IQ < 70 is between 50-70% depending on the study. That's not great odds.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 9:56 pm

o0iella wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Clearly, I have posted an opinion. But with all the reading I've done, and all I have observed around me, I am pretty firm in my opinion. I am very good at distilling information and instinctively seeing the direction in which it is headed. Not always; I don't always have a feel for something; but with this, I do.

You are expecting us to take your word on it. I'm sorry, but that may work with your children, and the people who are opposed to your views are not going to automatically take what you say for granted like your children may do.

Quote:
There is a lot more than one thing going on; there is a lot of reason to believe that certain environmental triggers are involved (most likely in combination); I really think that if there was one gene, they would have found it. And you have to look at the ebb and flow with nature; how nature seeks a certain balance.

All these statements are contentious, and require evidence to back them up.

Quote:
You are not at risk for committing suicide as a people; it just isn't going to happen.

How do you know that? Or do we have to take your word on this as well.

I am not expecting anyone to do anything. I am posting an argument and either it resonates with someone or it does not. Debate my arguments on their merit, not on whether or not I have the right to make them. I have every right to post my opinion, as you have a right to post yours, but what you've been doing here is acting as if I don't have a right to voice my opinion, attributing motives to me that I don't have and saying that I haven't provided enough back up, while not providing any actual arguments against the points I've made. Yes, I could have provided more than a very brief summary of what has led me to form those opinions but I have other things to deal with in my life, too, and simply don't see the value in doing so.

Quote:
Quote:
What I was talking about was the real experience many ASD kids have growing up in fully NT families. Why? Because this is a thread about intentionally making a choice that will increase the odds that a fully NT family will have an ASD child. I am sharing that I have been told by those who see a lot of ASD kids that ASD kids are happier in quirkier, less NT, families.

I grew up in a fully NT family. I think the OP did too. It was tough but I'd rather have that than not exist. I think the OP would feel the same way.

So should we create millions of extra kids just so that every possible combination of genes has the ability to exist? This isn't about deciding to keep or not keep a being nature choose to create; this is about trying to trump nature and create beings that would not ever exist without someone playing genetic engineering. The considerations are entirely different. Charloz did actually provide a thought out answer to my point, but in my opinion your argument fails.

All that said, Charloz has answered the questions I've posed so I plan to exit this thread. I am just confused as to why you seem so combative towards my posts, without providing anything that feels like substance against them, and it brings out the side of me that likes to argue. But it really feels pointless; its like you and I are arguing just to argue, and that gets no one anywhere.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 10:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
I fully supported the genetic cause, but dismissed the application of the studies mentioned in this specific scenario on the grounds that a study hasn't been done on people on the spectrum who have come from families that do not have any prior cases of the spectrum. Those like that are much rarer, and so have not been studied. For all we know, that rarer part of the spectrum might be a trait that only occurs, for example, once every two hundred years, in that lineage. All you have done is restated the evidence I dismissed and then claim that I my reasoning is based on autism not being genetic in nature.

- there is no dispute among medical professionals that the risk of autism is higher if one parent has autism or Aspergers
- Given this risk factor no sane mother would voluntarily accept sperm from a person with Aspergers

Actually, I disagree with you on the last. I can definitely see sane mothers voluntarily accepting sperm from a person with Aspergers. Someone who knows the condition and isn't afraid of it will accept the very low risk of severe ASD impairment to increase the odds of the aspects they consider to be positive. I can definitely see it. That is why I advocate for full disclosure. I will always believe in fully informed choices, and people can surprise you.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 08 Oct 2014, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 10:12 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Actually, I disagree with you on the last. I can definitely see sane mothers voluntarily accepting sperm from a person with Aspergers. Someone who knows the condition and isn't afraid of it will accept the very low risk of severe ASD impairment to increase the odds of the aspects they consider to be positive. I can definitely see it. That is why I advocate for full disclosure. I will always believe in fully informed choices, and people can surprise you.

It's a matter of perception I guess. The aspects considered positive can be quite easily obtained from sperm donors whom are (as examples) university professors. classical pianists, creative artists or gifted. One doesn't need to seek sperm from an Aspie as there are plenty of donors who carry "desirable" traits without the genetic risks.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by "rarer" part of spectrum? if you check the statistics the proportion of all autistic people with IQ < 70 is between 50-70% depending on the study. That's not great odds.

Rarer...
I defined two types of the spectrum based on genetic lineage.
The first, are the majority, the ones the studies are based off. These are the ones who have an obvious genetic cluster their family's history.

The second are those who have no prior family history of the spectrum. These cases do exist. Charloz is claiming to be one of these cases.

By family history, I mean direct lineage and extended family. For example, I know my family history in great detail back almost 400 years on one side of the family and even farther back on the other side of the family. If there is no one in the family history that has significant autistic traits, where would my autism come from?
(note, that is an example, I haven't looked through the records much so I wouldn't know)

Now, I'm going to go on a tangent to reach my point...

Remember, that autism is a diagnosis based on subjective standards. If you fit the requirements, you are in regardless of any medical tests that can be done.
For example, there is a recent study I read that showed that diagnosed people can be spotted 55% of the time with a chemical test. If it comes to be that this becomes an acceptable tool for diagnosis, it could either be used narrow autism down to that 55% and others excluded towards other diagnosis, maybe even create an autisoid diagnosis or an autistic personality disorder diagnosis. Psychology can be whimsical. It is likely that different pairings of genes allow for traits that create a person that can labeled as such that make up different parts of the spectrum.
What could those cases be caused by, since the disorder appears far less in those families. Maybe someone born into a family where the mother's side of the family are misanthropic recluses, and the father's side ADHD, could very well exhibit adequate symptoms of aspergers to be diagnosed as such and that diagnosis wouldn't be wrong by modern standards. These aspies would have a very different genetic cause. You could say, those aren't true aspies, but by psychological standards they are, even if they share no genetic traits that would typically be passed along. If a specific genetic pattern or series of genetic patterns is discovered for Autism and if the psychological field accepts that as the only acceptable means of diagnosis, there could very well be a percentage of people previously diagnosed who can no longer retain the diagnosis under the new standards. This set, is the hypothetical rarer kind I speak of.

firewhiskey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2014, 6:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

So are you suggesting every couple desiring children which includes an autistic male is "insane"? You're throwing quite a few people under the bus. Including some who don't even know that they would qualify as autistic.

Most autistic people are of average IQ. It's also fairly widely acknowledged that IQ is not necessarily a great test of intelligence, especially for neurodiverse individuals, and so its relation to actual intelligence is tangential at best.

It's not too surprising that a marginalized minority do poorly compared to a privileged majority - this is not novel or unpopular information. It also holds true for all kinds of marginalization - gendered, racial, or ableist. What's truly novel is to work towards a world in which large swathes of humanity (autistics constitute 1+%) are no longer marginalized.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 6:47 pm

firewhiskey wrote:
So are you suggesting every couple desiring children which includes an autistic male is "insane"? You're throwing quite a few people under the bus. Including some who don't even know that they would qualify as autistic..

Not really. I'm merely presenting likely perceptions NTs have. Aspergers is classified as a mental disorder. A couple wanting a sperm donor would be very strange if they ignored thousands of candidates with no medical record of a disorder to select sperm from a male diagnosed with a disorder that (they would be advised) is heritable.

The question of undiagnosed donors is a separate issue as nobody is none the wiser.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 6:52 pm

firewhiskey wrote:
Most autistic people are of average IQ. It's also fairly widely acknowledged that IQ is not necessarily a great test of intelligence, especially for neurodiverse individuals, and so its relation to actual intelligence is tangential at best.

Actually the best estimates are around 50-70% of all people diagnosed with ASD have an IQ < 70. Conservatively this means a 50:50 chance of intellectual disability.

Secondly even if the child has a normal IQ the parents will still have a high risk the child will have lifelong socialisation and other problems to contend with.

Despite these risks I agree with DWamom that disclosure is the best course of action. However I would still contend that mothers who volunteer to choose a sperm donor with Aspergers or Downs syndrome or dwarfism and then have a child with a severe disability could (potentially) be charged with child abuse.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 6:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
firewhiskey wrote:
So are you suggesting every couple desiring children which includes an autistic male is "insane"? You're throwing quite a few people under the bus. Including some who don't even know that they would qualify as autistic..

Not really. I'm merely presenting likely perceptions NTs have. Aspergers is classified as a mental disorder. A couple wanting a sperm donor would be very strange if they ignored thousands of candidates with no medical record of a disorder to select sperm from a male diagnosed with a disorder that (they would be advised) is heritable.

The question of undiagnosed donors is a separate issue as nobody is none the wiser.

It's not a mental disorder, or a mental illness, it's a developmental disorder.