Page 2 of 13 [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2015, 9:59 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
How can anyone be proud of being autistic? You've read the statistics. A good majority of us are unemployed, live on social security benefits, don't drive, have very few to no friends, in our 20s and never dated, don't drive, don't go to college. How can anyone be proud of that? Autism makes you unique? Unique don't mean s**t when you're depressed all the time because you have no friends and can't get a job because of your differences or when you're living on your own off of SSI or Medicaid and unemployed. A good majority of us are losers; we're misunderstood by neurotypicals, we're nerds, we have no friends, we work low pay minimum wage job, our only friends are our parents. Some of us don't even parents to help us anymore.

That's the sad truth for many of you. Half of your autistic brothers and sisters will live a life like this because of autism. Yes, even many of you with HFA will live like this. Because you were born different, because you were born with autism. You never could live up to your full potential.

So tell me, how can anyone be proud of being autistic? Because I would cure it if given the opportunity.

And yet autistic people are, in all likelyhood, responsible for many of the greatest scientific and artistic leaps made by humans. I shudder to think what the world would be like without "losers" like Newton, Einstein, Dirac and Tesla. The halls of academia with be much the poorer without the autistic minds to enrich it. Perhaps it ain't the autism thats the problem? Perhaps its the way autistic people are treated that is the problem?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 7:57 pm

evilreligion wrote:
darkphantomx1 wrote:
How can anyone be proud of being autistic? You've read the statistics. A good majority of us are unemployed, live on social security benefits, don't drive, have very few to no friends, in our 20s and never dated, don't drive, don't go to college. How can anyone be proud of that? Autism makes you unique? Unique don't mean s**t when you're depressed all the time because you have no friends and can't get a job because of your differences or when you're living on your own off of SSI or Medicaid and unemployed. A good majority of us are losers; we're misunderstood by neurotypicals, we're nerds, we have no friends, we work low pay minimum wage job, our only friends are our parents. Some of us don't even parents to help us anymore.

That's the sad truth for many of you. Half of your autistic brothers and sisters will live a life like this because of autism. Yes, even many of you with HFA will live like this. Because you were born different, because you were born with autism. You never could live up to your full potential.

So tell me, how can anyone be proud of being autistic? Because I would cure it if given the opportunity.

And yet autistic people are, in all likelyhood, responsible for many of the greatest scientific and artistic leaps made by humans. I shudder to think what the world would be like without "losers" like Newton, Einstein, Dirac and Tesla. The halls of academia with be much the poorer without the autistic minds to enrich it. Perhaps it ain't the autism thats the problem? Perhaps its the way autistic people are treated that is the problem?

I agree, the main problem with autism is not autism itself, but rather how NT society has made itself incompatible with autistic individuals.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 12:27 am

If I want to be proud of something, then I won't be proud of being an autist, I'll be proud of being who I am.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 1:46 am

im proud of some aspects of of my diferences with n.t's but am also proud of other things too

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 9:33 pm

Since I've been on this forum I've learnt there are a lot of people out there like me and I'm not alone.

I'm not suffering for company, why is being in a relationship and having friends the be all and end all, I like my own company I can do my own thing without being pressured into things that I would rather not do.
Yes I didn't do very well at school as far as maths was concerned but I made up for that by going to a Numercy class
There are things I have been able to do and others that I couldn't so I knew my limatations.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 12:13 am

I'm proud of who I am, because I've proven a lot of people who underestimated me wrong, including my own parents. I'm working at a bank now.

smilinglv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2015, 2:30 am

maybe it is not proud .just try to like yourself and enjoy your world

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 2:58 pm

its no different than anything else anyones proud of,hey why noy

rstd3477
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2015, 3:59 pm

I'm neither proud nor ashamed of being autistic; it is just who I am. I do like who I am, and I see no need to find a cure for being me. Looking back, I am proud of some of my accomplishments now that I know I started at a disadvantage in many ways to NTs. Now that I know why I am the way I am, I feel like I just found the user's manual to a super computer I've had for forty years. I'm actually excited knowing what I could be capable of.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 5:42 pm

"I feel like I just found the user's manual to a super computer I've had for forty years. I'm actually excited knowing what I could be capable of."

That's a terrific way of describing it. Thank you!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 12:25 am

Lintar wrote:
darkphantomx1 wrote:

Hmmm... let's see how much of this applies to me.
1) Unemployed - yes.
2) Live on social security benefits - yes, that too.
3) Don't drive - no, I actually do drive. Where did the myth that most of us don't drive come from, and why?
4) Have very few to no friends - yes, that's true in my case, but you know what? The main reason why this is the case is due to the fact that most of the people who feigned interest in developing a friendship quickly dropped the act when they found out I was a bit "strange" in their warped view. Who needs narrow-minded bigots for friends? I would rather be friendless.
5) In our 20's and never dated - well, I'm actually in my 40's and have never dated. So what? You can't miss something you have never known.
6) Don't go to college - no, I did go to college.

"Loser" score: 4 out of 6. Hey, I qualify as one! :mrgreen:

One other thing. Why do you think it is the case that we are so 'misunderstood by neurotypicals'? Whose fault is that do you think, in the vast majority of cases?

My turn!

1) Unemployed - No, though I may be soon because I hate my job.
2) Live on social security benefits - No, although I did start the application process before finding my current job.
3) Don't drive - No, I got my license last year at the age of 21.
4) Have very few to no friends - Yes, I have one direct- contact friend and two email friends, and my direct-contact friend and I have been together since high school. Too many friends becomes a burden and impossible to keep up with.
5) In our 20's and never dated - No, I got my first boyfriend last December; we've been dating for six months as of the 20th.
6) Don't go to college - No, I have a bachelor's in psychology as of the end of this summer, and I'm applying for graduate school. I'm going to be a doctor.

Loser Score: 1 out of 6. Hmm, guess I don't qualify!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 3:00 am

There's just so much wrong with this that it's not even accurate to lump it all on so-called autism. The main issue is that society is structured in the manner of an anarcho-capitalist corporatocracy being run in the format of a bunch of oligarchies. Furthermore, the so-called autistics are also the only types of people who have ever made significant-contributions to the advancement of civilisation, whilst those NTs are more like... a bunch of sheeple who will never actually improve the system itself.

Also, the whole "driving" thing is a gigantic scam, such to the point that it takes a three-hour presentation just to barely start to scratch the surface of the scam of driver-licensing... here... listen to former Deputy Officer Eddie Lane Craig regarding how the wool has been pulled over the eyes of a fleeced public...

Also, this autism thing seems to be unique to mostly Western-cultures, but ends up being rare in places/cultures like that of Russia if there even is any of it there at all.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 5:02 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:
There's just so much wrong with this that it's not even accurate to lump it all on so-called autism. The main issue is that society is structured in the manner of an anarcho-capitalist corporatocracy being run in the format of a bunch of oligarchies. Furthermore, the so-called autistics are also the only types of people who have ever made significant-contributions to the advancement of civilisation, whilst those NTs are more like... a bunch of sheeple who will never actually improve the system itself.

Also, the whole "driving" thing is a gigantic scam, such to the point that it takes a three-hour presentation just to barely start to scratch the surface of the scam of driver-licensing... here... listen to former Deputy Officer Eddie Lane Craig regarding how the wool has been pulled over the eyes of a fleeced public...

Also, this autism thing seems to be unique to mostly Western-cultures, but ends up being rare in places/cultures like that of Russia if there even is any of it there at all.
how does the video about connstitutional rights connect with autism and pride

Judas
Raven
Raven

15 Jun 2015, 10:00 am

I have an intellectual understanding of pride, however beeing unable to feel this my self I have no concept of why or how anyone exhibits this. Although it sounds nice and I wish I could experience it.

I do however feel inferior for having this cursed disability and not coping in life.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jun 2015, 10:53 am

Pride doesn't necessarily mean considering yourself to be better. It can just be the confidence and strength to live your life and be yourself in the face of oppression. We're here, we're autistic, get used to it.

Chezecaek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2015, 7:00 pm

You're twenty years old. Give it a few more years and you might change your attitude--I did. And how many of those things you listed apply to you? All of them, or just some of them?