Does anyone here feel they don't want to be a movement?

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2015, 12:25 pm

to the original poster:
Yes I feel a similar way. If organizations like autism speaks and so on can help kids with autism financially so they can get help, then I think that is a good thing. I was also never much they spreading awareness thing ether but I can see its practical use. I guess the reason I have never wanted to use my autism as a social platform to preach awareness and go to money raising events is because these organizations like autism speaks have the tendency to say things like "autism is a gift". For me that is something I could never ever say. I hope none takes offense to that but it is just how I feel. there are plenty of other people that you can get to say that but it will not be me.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 6:36 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
If people want to help stop people from being bullied at schools for having autism- that is fine by me. But I just don't consider it a "civil rights" movement. I don't want any part of that. I would just rather say I have autism and leave it at that. I don't use my autism for political platforms, tirades , or any of that non sense. Is anyone else annoyed when this movement that calls autism a "gift" keeps pushing their agenda? I just don't see how it helps . I believe in promoting awareness, but that is as far as I go.

Promoting awareness is, in itself, a movement, so you've technically just said that you don't want to be a movement, but yet you'll be a movement to try to get people to be aware of autism. That's a contradiction.

Let me tell you something: I've spent my entire life being dealt one sh*tty hand after another, most of which could've been avoided if I had an advocate at the time, doing what was necessary to get people to understand me better. But I didn't have an advocate, I had to grow up under constant social strain, and in an atmosphere where my future was determined by people who didn't believe I could do something normal (like driving), and so, didn't help me get to where I needed to be in life to get past that barrier. Well, it's too late for that now, because the issues that I had back then are far worse now, and it's debilitating to the point where I lose chunks of time.
I know what it's like to grow up in an atmosphere of ignorance and stupidity (society is beyond stupidity, but I thought I'd be nice), and I won't stand by and allow the same attitudes to continue.

Quote:
I just don't see how it helps

So I guess you think activism does nothing? Ok, then how did gay rights (to marry) pass? I'll tell you, it's because people like me, who spoke against society's bullsh*t surrounding the topic, actually didn't give up, they raised awareness, and created a movement large enough that could no longer be simply ignored by society.
Sorry, but in my experience, the only people who claim that "activism does nothing" are those who want an excuse to live in blissful ignorance of the world around them. It's those types of people that sit by and allow things to happen, simply because they want to 'stay out of it'. I know people like this personally, and frankly, that's an idiotic way to live because one day, something is bound to happen to you that changes your life, and no-one around you is going to give a sh*t because they don't want to deal with the situation, just like you are doing now, and as a result, you'll have absolutely no support to help you deal with the situation. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people are going through something like that right now, at this very moment, and I guarantee you the reason people don't know about it is because people don't stand up and speak out like they should.

To put it bluntly, especially with the fight against ignorance, if you're not speaking out and making people aware of what's going on, then you're contributing to the lack of awareness that everyone else does, only worse, because you know about it and refuse to say something to get people to change it.
Change in society can only start one way: Activism. Retelling your perspective to anyone willing to listen and pass on that knowledge, because the only way change ever happens, is if people know there's a problem, and care enough to demand change.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 8:24 pm

I feel a little similar to the OP, but sometimes I think having to preach your condition to the world is a necessary evil, especially based on all the negative press backlash in the media lately against the autism disorders. Ideally, I wish I didn't have to preach my personal business to the world.

But, people on here get a little dramatic comparing us to gays or blacks. I don't want to be seen as special just because I have a certain label to identify me. We need to be more positive about how the world perceives us.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 8:48 pm

Jaden wrote:
Sorry, but in my experience, the only people who claim that "activism does nothing" are those who want an excuse to live in blissful ignorance of the world around them. It's those types of people that sit by and allow things to happen, simply because they want to 'stay out of it'. I know people like this personally...

That may be one reason why they don't like activism, but there are other reasons as well. For instance, they may view the entire 'movement' with distaste, due to the hijacking of the aforesaid movement by radical elements within it. I'm not talking about autism activism specifically, but political movements in general.

Then there may be the fact that they just have other priorities in life, other things that, to them, need their undivided attention.

Then there are those who are just overwhelmed by it all. They don't want to get involved because they just want to be left alone, to live their life as they see fit, without being told by some bigshot 'activist' that they are somehow 'betraying the cause' by not getting involved.

One final reason: Many people are apolitical, and the reasons for why they are this way we can only guess at, for they are almost limitless.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 8:56 pm

Jaden wrote:
To put it bluntly, especially with the fight against ignorance, if you're not speaking out and making people aware of what's going on, then you're contributing to the lack of awareness that everyone else does, only worse, because you know about it and refuse to say something to get people to change it.

'Identity politics'! ! :lmao: :roll:

For once I am actually going to be deliberately rude here: Go to hell mister! All of this BS about being part of the problem if you are not actively part of the solution is a load of crap. I don't want to tarnish my character by getting involved in bloody politics. I am NOT going to 'speak out'! I have other things to do with my life, better things. If you don't like that - well, tough, I don't give a s**t.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 5:23 am

Lintar wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Sorry, but in my experience, the only people who claim that "activism does nothing" are those who want an excuse to live in blissful ignorance of the world around them. It's those types of people that sit by and allow things to happen, simply because they want to 'stay out of it'. I know people like this personally...

Then there may be the fact that they just have other priorities in life, other things that, to them, need their undivided attention. 1

[...]

'Identity politics'! ! :lmao: :roll:

For once I am actually going to be deliberately rude here: Go to hell mister! All of this BS about being part of the problem if you are not actively part of the solution is a load of crap 2. I don't want to tarnish my character by getting involved in bloody politics. I am NOT going to 'speak out'! I have other things to do with my life, better things. 3 If you don't like that - well, tough, I don't give a s**t.

You just made the mistake of being a complete ass in your response, like so many before you that I've had to deal with on this f*****g site. Well, I'm done being nice to people like you, since it's obvious you have no sense of respect in the slightest.

1. Life happens to everyone, stop using it as an excuse to sit on your ass and do nothing to help solve the problems in our society!

2. Not speaking out about a problem that most likely don't know about, invariably continues the ignorance surrounding the topic. It takes discussion to allow awareness, which leads to change. Only a complete idiot would deny that.

3. Spoken by someone whose life is obviously not effected by most social issues that some of us have to live with every god damned day!

I believe it is you who can go to hell.

I'm done with this s**t hole of a site, every single time I post in a topic any more, I have to face this kind of response from you people. I'm sick of putting up with rude comment after another, and then being told by moderators to just "deal with it". Talking with other people on the spectrum is just not worth the BS that I have had to put up with on this f*****g site for the past 5 months. I'm done.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 6:17 am

It seems like an appropriate time to apply a thread lock.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 6:17 am

Jaden, you are always one of the members whose posts are interesting, thoughtful and appreciated by me. I have been absent for a while because of similar frustrations. I thought of coming back after dipping my toes back in yesterday and today, though now I am having second thoughts. I so respect thoughtful WP members like yourself and yet they seem increasingly to be shouted down/personally attacked/gratuitously insulted/subjected to sneering rudeness; all of these rude behaviours have increased this year.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 6:23 am

B19 wrote:
Jaden, you are always one of the members whose posts are interesting, thoughtful and appreciated by me. I have been absent for a while because of similar frustrations. I thought of coming back after dipping my toes back in yesterday and today, though now I am having second thoughts. I so respect thoughtful WP members like yourself and yet they seem increasingly to be shouted down/personally attacked/gratuitously insulted/subjected to sneering rudeness; all of these rude behaviours have increased this year.

I appreciate that. Unfortunately, the site has become too hostile for me, and as everyone who have seen my posts knows, I generally react badly to such commentors who have no respect for anyone. I feel if I don't leave, it's only going to be a matter of time before I'm banned anyway.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 6:30 am

You'll be back.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 6:32 am

Fnord wrote:
You'll be back.

We'll see.